German .25 Auto?

Joguwa86

I've acquired another Mann specimen myself. Bought this one off a fellow online for $200. It has a bit more patina that my other Mann, but it's in perfect mechanical shape. It had one broken grip, but the other one is fine.

IMG_0002-6.jpg

The serial is 21995-21.

The magazine catch on this one is perfectly functional, and accepts the magazine from both of my Mann .25's. This leads me to believe that my other gun was, in fact, defective. Looking over the defective Mann closer, it seems there was not enough milling done on the inside of the frame to allow the mag release to engage the mag itself.

I've done quite a bit of research into these pistols, considering the small amount of material available on them. I'll post some photographic highlights here, though some of you may have seen some of these before.

mann20article-01.jpg

mann20article-02.jpg

mann20article-03.jpg

mann20article-04.jpg

mann20article-05.jpg

wth182

I was wondering how I would go about making the gun legal, I have the certificate that allows it to be in the us, but the serial number is not recorded on it, it just says "Pistol French Make, (Manns Patente) Cal. 25 Serial No. "
so its not really on record that it even exists... Also another thing my grandfather brought back was a folding knife that is supposed to look like a pistol you push the hammer to unlock the blade and it has a small leather holster, ill post picture just wondering.

mapsjanhere

You don't have to worry about the lack of serial numbers or record thereoff, they didn't become mandatory until 1968. And your gun is clearly older than that.

gyvel

You don't have to worry about the lack of serial numbers or record thereoff, they didn't become mandatory until 1968. And your gun is clearly older than that.

I have to put a minor caveat here: If the gun never had a serial number, it is not a problem. If, however, the serial number was altered/defaced/removed, then it doesn't matter how old it is according to BATF. (Or at least that's how I understand their twisted logic.)

mapsjanhere

Went back to read more the thread, in regards to the date suffix, at some point after WWI the date stamp became a mandatory component of the proof mark, making a separate date suffix unnecessary.

j-framer

mhouck1006,

Like any collectible gun, a Mann pistol's value depends on numerous factors, the most important being:

1) Is the pistol in question all matching, with all its original parts? Nothing messed with, altered, damaged, missing, etc.?

2) What is the finish condition?

3) What variation is it?

And probably most important of all, and most difficult to predict at any given time with such an obscure pistol:

4) Who wants to buy it, and how badly?

Depending on the answers to these questions, an individual example's value could be anywhere from $75 for a badly damaged/mismatched parts gun to probably well over $1000 for a rare variation in beautiful condition.

lewiscircle

Another Mann

Hello

I just found this thread thanks to a gentleman who sold me a new magazine for my Mann. Very pleased to find all this information. Have never been able to find much before.

In return, I'll add the specs of my gun to what's already here for posterity.

It's kind of a neat story. In short, when my grandmother passed away I was looking through an old desk that had been my grandfather's. He had passed away some years earlier. I found a little secret drawer built into the cubbies of the desk did not appear to have been opened in ages. Inside was this fascinating little gun and an ancient box of ammo. No idea how long that gun sat there unknown to the world; and but for luck would likely be sitting there still.

The serial number is 9083-21. It's in great shape, but the few times I've fired it the magazine feed has been a problem.

A couple photos are attached. enjoy. thanks again for the info.

Attachments

• IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 113

j-framer

Lewiscircle, thanks for the information and photos of your Mann and for telling the fascinating story of its discovery. I love the fact that this pistol was your grandfather's little "secret" for so many years. It fits perfectly with this curious little pistol's role as a deep concealment/hideaway piece, whether it be on someone's person or in a static location like the hidden drawer.

I really enjoy listening to stories that connect these surviving pistols to the past. Hopefully the willingness of people like you to share your stories and information will encourage others to do the same. It enriches all of us when these inanimate objects are connected to the lives of real people, either living or dead. This connection is the linchpin of my interest in these and other vintage pocket pistols.

Bluestreak

Another Mann Serial #

I just got a Mann today :D # 13729-21 marked Mann's Patente. I've been looking for one for some time and this thread has been very helpful during my search. Thanks.

j-framer

Bluestreak,

Thanks for telling us about your recent Mann acquisition - I appreciate the number and will add it to the database (I am trying to get around to posting an updated list; since I posted the first one I have gathered many new serial numbers).

If you ever have the means and inclination to post photos, please do! I never get tired of seeing these.

mapsjanhere

Just to add, the German DWJ has an extensive article on the Mann company and the special trick they had with a groove inside the chamber to delay the action. They also report on a recent auction in which a .25 with 4mm extra barrel and box brought over $1500 - these little guns are definitely worth keeping.

New Mann Pistol with high serial number

Hi,

today I bought a Mann Pistol with serial number 52838-21. So there is a new number to add to the list.

Best regards from Germany

Stefan

Rabb777

mann 25mm with lowest number found to date

I found a mann pocket pistol 25mm with serial #35-20 its stamped on frame and barrel. It also proves that there are 6 variants instead of 5 variants. It's the only one found with these stampings. Patented in Germany on the right side.

ballardw

Strongly suspect you mean .25 or 6.35mm.

25mm would be a very large bore, as in big enough to insert the typical thumb. :)