Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph

zeke

Took the brandy new Garmin to the outdoor range for first try. Charged the battery first, easily fit into range bag (larger hard tool box). Fast to set up, got position right on first try (really easy) and used it to chrono some new 45 ar loads. It never missed a shot, briefly taking time to calculate the result. Have no fancy phone, but unit does not need one to operate and i just wrote down the velocity's in book (no batteries/internet required), and reset session after each string. Am not needing B.C. calculation for my purposes, someone else's purpose may differ.

For my purposes, the ease of storage/transport/set up/use really helps. The reliability of getting a velocity reading is huge. In the future, am wondering how long the battery is good for. Sure it's expensive, but my actual shooting time is slowly running out and not patient enough to wait for cheaper prices or competition from other new copied models.

Will try it on indoor range at first chance, and the much smaller dedicated indoor range bag still has plenty of room for it.

Wish as i might, will not be able to get back all the time/effort messing with the old chrony. But will likely chrono much more as it is no longer a pita.

MarkCO

The Garmin "needs" 20 yards according to the data sheet.

I've not tried shorter yet, plan to this week.

zeke

Well made it to the indoor range today, which has it's backstop at 25 yds and divided shooting booths. Large paper silhouette target at 25 yds and the Garmin didn't miss a shot, although it seems a little sensitive at the indoor range and went into a repeating analyzing phase. Moving it a tad and resetting fixed it, and not sure what caused it, but the range has a more modern air moving/filtering system.

Got the results i wanted at 75 feet, so moved it up to 50 feet. Again it didn't miss a shot. Then moved it up to 25 feet, and yet again it didn't miss a shot. Am not knowledgeable about how it works, but am guessing having it set to the side a little allows it to calculate the whole way to 25 yds? Anyway, it worked at 75, 50 and 25 feet inside when the backstop was 25 yds downrange.

MarkCO

Well made it to the indoor range today, which has it's backstop at 25 yds and divided shooting booths. Large paper silhouette target at 25 yds and the Garmin didn't miss a shot, although it seems a little sensitive at the indoor range and went into a repeating analyzing phase. Moving it a tad and resetting fixed it, and not sure what caused it, but the range has a more modern air moving/filtering system.

Got the results i wanted at 75 feet, so moved it up to 50 feet. Again it didn't miss a shot. Then moved it up to 25 feet, and yet again it didn't miss a shot. Am not knowledgeable about how it works, but am guessing having it set to the side a little allows it to calculate the whole way to 25 yds? Anyway, it worked at 75, 50 and 25 feet inside when the backstop was 25 yds downrange.
Good data zeke.

higgite

Well done, zeke.

Does it give you the velocity at whatever point downrange that it picks up the projectile or does it automatically calculate back to the muzzle? Or both?

Any differences in the reported average velocities for each target distance or all pretty much the same?

zeke

Well done, zeke.

Does it give you the velocity at whatever point downrange that it picks up the projectile or does it automatically calculate back to the muzzle? Or both?

Any differences in the reported average velocities for each target distance or all pretty much the same?
Only had one shot of a load combination that was tested at 2 different distances. The shot at 50 feet was right in the middle of the rounds fired at 75 feet. The next powder combination was shot at 50 feet, and another bullet tried at 25 feet. Maybe next time will shoot same combination at all three distances, but none of the results seemed out of line.

sorry, but I have no clue how/when it picks up a bullet in flight.