Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph

MarkCO

Yeah, I was surprised no one had mentioned it here. Most of the forums buzzed about it.

I have one, will be using it again today. Amazing unit. I'm one who did not like, and sold a Labradar and have been using a MagnetoSpeed the last several years.

Folks are wholesale selling their LR and MS to get this. It sold out everywhere on the release date.

I post this review because I am friends with him and know him to be a skilled shooter and hunter.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/garmin-xero-c1-pro-review/

rc

That's cool. I have a 20+ year old CED millennium and a lab radar. The CED was a lot more straight forward plug and play. The Lab Radar requires a lot more skill downloading apps, connecting things with blue tooth, hoping your have a connection, losing the connection, sometimes getting data, sometimes turning the color of the lab radar out of frustration especially with quiet things that don't trigger the sensor.

Jim Watson

I am interested. I am not doing as much chronographing as I used to but it still catches my eye. If one gets available before I have dragged out the CE or CED again, I will likely buy.

higgite

Yeah, I was surprised no one had mentioned it here. Most of the forums buzzed about it.

I have one, will be using it again today. Amazing unit. I'm one who did not like, and sold a Labradar and have been using a MagnetoSpeed the last several years.

Folks are wholesale selling their LR and MS to get this. It sold out everywhere on the release date.

I post this review because I am friends with him and know him to be a skilled shooter and hunter.

I appreciate your friend's review. I hoped it would compare the new Garmin unit to a Magnetospeed, but no such luck. I have a Magnetospeed which I find to be very handy, but I'm always open to spending more of my kids' inheritance. What made you choose to replace your Magnetospeed with the Garmin?

zeke

Thanks, it be appreciated. While am not working up the number of loads i used to, the extreme convenience of this unit has me interested. Perhaps will try more different loads, if not dealing with the pita of transporting and setting up my chrony. This unit will easily fit in range box/bag, and should be able to test loads at indoor range.

MarkCO

This unit will easily fit in range box/bag, and should be able to test loads at indoor range.

Mine has a permanent spot in my range bag now. Today will be my first time shooting pistols with it.

MarkCO

What made you choose to replace your Magnetospeed with the Garmin?

I still have the MagnetoSpeed.

But, ease of use, no set up time. Shotguns, archery, pistols, all WAY easier with the Garmin. So far, it has literally been set it on the bench, start shooting. Breeze.

higgite

I still have the MagnetoSpeed.

But, ease of use, no set up time. Shotguns, archery, pistols, all WAY easier with the Garmin. So far, it has literally been set it on the bench, start shooting. Breeze.
Thanks. I was using tunnel vision. I only use my MS with pistols, but I see the advantage with other forms of projectiles. It also occurred to me that, unlike my MS, the Garmin can be used with pistols that don't have Pic rails.

stagpanther

what does it use to acquire and track the bullet? It looks like it has rifle and pistol speed settings, so I assume likely similar technology to labradar's?

MarkCO

what does it use to acquire and track the bullet? It looks like it has rifle and pistol speed settings, so I assume likely similar technology to labradar's?

It uses Doppler.

Yesterday, at the range, I was shooting off angle and it seems to be about a 30 degree arc off of the center axis, where it will still read the speed. It's just so simple to use. :)

ligonierbill

Ordered one! Garmin says 5-7 weeks. I've been through optical chronos, Magnetospeed, and have been using LabRadar for several years. It works for me, but it can be a PITA, particularly failing to register some small bullets. Mine has proven durable, but yep it sure does suck up the juice. Looks like Garmin stole a march on everyone else.

stagpanther

Yesterday, at the range, I was shooting off angle and it seems to be about a 30 degree arc off of the center axis, where it will still read the speed. It's just so simple to use.
Admittedly the labradar does take aiming to line up well--alway wondered why they didn't come out with a spotting device of sort since the notch is inadequate. From your description it sounds like they have improved the doppler accuracy on the Garmin so that it can pick up the trajectory of a projectile in a much wider field--whereas the labradar has to line up with a bullet intersect and the field of detection is pretty narrow between the doppler centerpoint and the trajectory of the projectile.

Nathan

Folks are wholesale selling their LR and MS to get this.

Sounds like now would be a great time to buy a new Labradar. I’ve been thrilled with mine. What would talk me into the switch to Garmin?

MarkCO

Sounds like now would be a great time to buy a new Labradar. I’ve been thrilled with mine. What would talk me into the switch to Garmin?

Not my job to convince anyone.

But from a guy who did not like the LabRadar and sold mine, I am thrilled that Garmin came out with a better solution. It's just too easy to use.

I'm keeping my MagnetoSpeed for now, but I will get rid of my Caldwell.

stagpanther

Labradar does have an electronic trigger for things like suppressed 22lr--does the Garmin do that--or does it even need it?

stagpanther

'Nother question MarKCo--have you used Garmin out to say 200 yds with a fast small projectile like the 6 or 6.5 creedmoor--and how well will the shot group track in the results (meaning, can you set the measured distances and the output for the shotgroup show consistent and complete data for all shots at all distances out to 200 yds or more? That's where labradar really starts falling down.