Full size ccw/ best pistol/caliber

RamItOne

TFL'ing while driving

Didnt read replies but I hope the guys here advised against keeping the weapon in a bag.
My theory on carrying, keep it where you'd conceivably have your wallet. That way if they ask for your wallet your reaching motion won't seem out of the ordinary. Since you're wearing a suit I'd suggest shoulder holster ESP if your are wanting full size.

JonathanZ

If you look around you can find a good deal on a used gun, especially from an individual. You might even want to be open to finding a great deal on one of a couple of guns and take whichever one you find.

I was looking for either a Glock 26 or Glock 19. I ran across a great deal on the G19 so that's what I bought. I paid $525 for a LNIB barely used if at all Gen 3 G19 with factory night sights, 3 mags, a Blackhawk leather holster and a fobus retention holster. The holsters were brand new, never even used. At a gun store I'd pay about $525 for a brand new Glock 19 with standard sights.

WVsig

Why are so many people recommending compact guns when the OP asked for full size gun suggestions?

Glock 19, CZ P01 & Ruger SRC are not full sized guns...

ClydeFrog

Off body carry, weapons, choices...

I re-read a few of the forum topic posts.
If the armed citizen/CC license holder is a larger size, concealment may be a problem with some handguns.
The "untucked" shirt isn't very professional or business like IMO. A decent concealment vest like those offered by SIG-Sauer, 5.11 or CCC could conceal a strong side holster & related gear(folding knife, spare mags, white light).
Some gunners gripe about the look of some safari type concealment vests but I'd say about 90-95% of the general public wouldn't be rattled by it. Newer garments(2008 & up) offer better concealment w/o the "plainclothes cop" or "private security contractor" look.
I'd also agree that sidearms should be worn on the person not toted in cases, bags or backpacks. Extra magazines, speed strips, a small tube of CLP(if you travel in dusty/dirty areas), extra batteries(if you use a light or laser aimer) could be put in a bag. To have a small first-aid kit or medical supply items for gun-shots is smart too. Quik-Clots or "blow out" kits are common with US troops in combat and are used by many SWAT/tactical units to treat wounds. Large firms like Galls, US Cav & Streichers(PoliceHQ.com) sell compact kits.

ClydeFrog

JonathanZ

WVsig,

He mentioned a full size gun, but he also asked what we would look at. He was talking about keeping the gun in his briefcase and most everyone said to keep it on him. I've also carried a full size gun before and while I can do it, it does become cumbersome after a while. I carried my Sig P226 and love the gun, but got tired of carrying it every day.

If he can afford two guns and wants a Glock I'd suggest a Glock 34 and a Glock 26 for the ideal home defense/range and carry combo. For one all purpose Glock I'd go with the G19. I really wouldn't have any use for the G17 myself.

peacefulgary

Went looking for prices on the SR9c and found I could get a p95 for for almost exactly $100 less. They both look like good candidates. The SR9c looks a lot more comfortable to carry. The p95 seems to have a reputation for ruggedness and ease of use. I have to admit a bias toward Rugers. Has anyone handled these pistols?
I had the P95 for a while...

HPIM6391.jpg

And while it was certainly not a bad pistol, it did have a few things that I didn't like:

The magazine release is too sharp and you have to push it forward, not inward.

The grip is too slippery (hence the rubber over the grip).

The trigger is not near as nice as the trigger on the SR9c.

The sights are not as nice as the sights on the SR9c.

I don't like the slide mounted decocker/safety that you flip up to fire and down for safe.

And the P95 is just more bulky overall.

I think the SR9c is just a better pistol in every way.
I also think that it's well worth the extra $$$.
And with the SR9c you get the option of a flush fitting 10-round magazine (most concealable)...

HPIM7252.jpg

Or a pinky extension 10-round magazine (very concealable but with a better grip)...

HPIM7193.jpg

Or the full grip 17-round magazine as seen in my earlier post.

And you also get a reversible rubber backstrap for different sized hands.
The backstrap is flush with the grip on one side, and has a "hump" on the other side.
The pic with the flush magazine has the backstrap set for a larger hand, while the pic with the pinky extension mag has the backstrap set for a smaller hand.
It's a subtle difference, but a noticeable one.
I prefer the "hump".

Good luck,
Gary

Last edited:

scrubcedar

I'll probably put both rugers on my list and see if they rent them at my local range. Does anybody have any experience with stoeger cougars? I notice no one mentioned a taurus. They seem to have a lot of choices in my price range. I'll probably wrap this up soon. Thanks again for the advice and help!

peacefulgary

I don't have any experience actually shooting a Stoeger Cougar, but I did get to handle one in the BassPro Shoppe.
It felt chunky and rather unrefined in my hands.

Of course it might be a solid shooter.

Joe .45 ACP

Scrubceder,
Best pistol for ccw and caliber there are so many fine hand guns out there it is hard to choose from…

Revolvers are nice reliable, durable, low maintenance and accurate in the right hands. Smith and Wesson, and then Ruger. Caliber 357 Mag this way you can shoot 38s, 38+ps and 357s.
Pros: guaranteed 5 to 8 shots without jamming/no springs under tension to fail/low maintenance
Cons: 5 to 8 round capacity/reloading is slow lots of practice for mussel memory/heavy frame

Automatics are a little tricky, but there are so many to choose from. Glock, Sig, HK, S&W, Ruger and FN. Most of these are reliable, durable and accurate in the right hands. Caliber .45 ACP, 40 S&W and then 9mm in this order.
Pros: High mag capacity 6 to 15+ rounds/easy to reload/easer to conceal
Cons: possible malfunction/maintenance/springs under tension to fail

I personally carry most of the time a .45 ACP Glock 30 or 36 then my Glock 27in 40 S&W and then Sig P238. The Sig P238 is a .380 and is very small I can put it anywhere on me.

I would suggest going to a rang and renting some of the guns that you are interested in see what you like. I have been carrying for 24 years and by far the best CCW for me is the Glock 36 6+1 with 2 mags or Glock 30 10+1 with 1mag.

Keep in mind most gunfights happen within 7 feet or less practice point and shoot using the holster and weapon you’re going to use for CCW. Ensure the defensive rounds that you plan on carrying work in your weapon this means shooting a box to ensure that they feed properly if you have an auto. I like Hornady, Federal and Winchester for defensive rounds.

I prefer .45 ACP 230GR JHP a heavier round penetrates further and predominantly does more damage, with the 45 ACP I feel I don’t need the +P ammo that may over penetrate.

With a .357 Mag 125GR or 110GR JHP there are heavier rounds but I don’t want to over penetrate. Then again a magnum has a tendency to do that with any round at 7 feet.

I stay away from 9ms just don’t like the ballistics on this round even though I’m force to use them in the military. I know there are many people that will disagree with me but this is my personal choice and opinion and what I’ve seen over the 24 years of carrying a sidearm.

I hope this was helpful,

Joe

BillM

Heck---you're a big guy, and if you are going to get some jackets that
fit why not go with what you know?

Vertical shoulder holster or IWB, 45 colt single action army. Old school
firepower that worked just dandy for a hundred years and will work fine
for a hundred more.

scrubcedar

You know as I was reading all the advice on this string my mind kept coming back to the idea of not fighting my reflexes and embracing my past, it would be the perfect excuse for the stag handled Ruger I always wanted to build. 4and1/2" barrel,let a gunsmith loose on the action, hmm... Now see you guys are tempting me to backslide I'm trying to climb into THIS century! I am planning on heading to a local range soon to compare as many pistols as possible. My job has gotten so busy I'm having trouble getting away, frustrating.

scrubcedar

Well if anyone is still out there paying attention. (I know it's been a while) I went to the range and tried out several different types of pistols. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks? Well then you have a pretty good idea how it went. Once I stopped dropping mags trying to manipulate the safety, and could figure out how to get the slide back in place, some of them shot pretty well. Some of them were naturals in my hand, others not so much. It didn't matter though I am hundreds(thousands even maybe?) of rounds away from life on the line high pressure competence with an auto. I need to be carrying sooner than that. A revolver it is I guess and if I revert to single action behavior it's still better than total incompetence. Is there a .22 auto out there with identical to its larger cousins controls? I'm not giving up I'm just (hopefully) using some wisdom.

platform

Is there a .22 auto out there with identical to its larger cousins controls? I'm not giving up I'm just (hopefully) using some wisdom.

If you are looking for a pistol that can be converted between .22 and say 9mm or .40 or .45 (meaning that the controls with stay the same and will let your practice cheaper ammo)

than yes -- there are bunch of choices. some choices are 'factory choices' (meaning that the manufacture of the gun also offers conversion to .22) and some are 'after market'.

after market choices
----
Glocks (any) to .22
1911 to .22
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/22-conversion-kits/

Keltek PF9 to.22
http://www.twistedindustries.net/products/
This 9mm with the conversion is probably the only combo that you could get together within $500 range

manufactures OEM kits (full to .22 conversion choices)
----------
CZ-75 to Kadet (.22)
CZ-SP 01 to Kadet

Kimber .45 and .22

SIG 226, 229 to .22

Beretta 92FS to .22 (hard to get)

Browning highpower .22 conversion

EAA witness .22 conversion

-----
If you are looking at .22 gun that will function as it's larger cousine
Probably then chiappa 1911 in .22 (around 200+ bucks). They mimic 1911
reasonably well (but recoil of course is not the same)

I am sure there are other 1911 in .22.

------

For any of the .22 semi-autos you will need to be using the high-velocity .22 ammo - otherwise it will not cycle the slide

Finally -- since you are revolver guy. Taurus 922 (I think) -- is a .22 / .22 Magnum. May be not as easy to cary as an auto -- but .22 mag are nasty too.

In Salt-lake city you also must have private instructors who could tune up your tactical awareness, and will suggest the training specific to your size, what you wear, what you cary on the job, even specifics of your car and walking routes

Last edited:

scrubcedar

Thanks for the reply platform. Yes somthing along the lines of the chiappa is what I'm looking for. As for the revolver I'm probably going to ante up for a 2" barreled .38 of some kind. Any clue as to why no one even mentions taurus as an alternative?

platform

Thanks for the reply platform. Yes somthing along the lines of the chiappa is what I'm looking for. As for the revolver I'm probably going to ante up for a 2" barreled .38 of some kind. Any clue as to why no one even mentions taurus as an alternative?

as an alternative to what ? If you meant to revolvers -- I am not sure -- taurus is pretty good.
for .38 I would even concider an alumnum frame charter arms (in addition to taurus, sw, ruger)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_203

.38 is low pressure round, the machinery and designs these days reasonably advanced -- so invidual worksmaship, qa and metal casting is rarely different from one manufacture to another (this is unsubstaniated opinion though).

All provide life time warrantee, and as far as I am concerned all are good to support with hard earned cash (although I tend to like 'under dogs' or 'risky innovators' for some reason).

scrubcedar

As an alternative to Ruger s&w etc. The Taurus revolvers seem to be less expensive for what you get. I'm familiar with the .38 round carried it in a SA Ruger for a while. Mild round sufficient for my needs at the time, didn't need a magnum. I'm likely to carry standard .38 special, possibly +p, but I having trouble seeing how a.357 in a light revolver with a short grip is a good thing.

fext

Is there a .22 auto out there with identical to its larger cousins controls?

As much as I like rimfire pistols for plinking, for a self defense application you might consider spending the money rather on the carry gun ammo.

Pilot

CZ makes a dedicated, full size (service size) .22 semi-auto in the Kadet. Wonderful .22. They also sell the slide unit as a conversion kit, called the Kadet Kit.

A 9MM 75B or other CZ-75 variant that accepts the Kadet Kit, will give you a nice way to shoot the full size pistol in .22. The Kadet, and Kadet Kit are accurate and reliable.