Full size ccw/ best pistol/caliber

scrubcedar

Ok gang here is the situation. I'm a new Bank Rep for a Sub Prime auto lending Bank. I have to visit dealerships in some VERY scummy parts of Salt Lake City and its suburb West Valley City AKA the murder capitol of Utah. Nice towns really but not where I end up in them. I carry a very large laptop case/ briefcase with me because I need the equipment including a large and very obviously expensive Laptop etc. I have to dress nicely and despite my size( 6'+ and 270lbs) this makes me a juicy target. I need to find a ccw and am thinking of simply keeping it in the bag since it is always with me. I'm an old single action (revolver) guy so I can already shoot accurately, but have NO experience with Auto's If this were you and you had about $500 to spend what would you do?

sgms

S&W model 65 with q 3 or 4 inch barrel. You are already a revolver shooter so not a big step from S/A to D/A and .357 is a respectable defensive round. It might be a better idea if you rethink the bag carry, should it be stolen there would then be an armed punk out there with you pistol and not just a stolen laptop. (You might even think about a small smith J frame in a pocket holster if you wish for a smaller package.) Sgm S.

TheNocturnus

I assume "dress nicely" is a suit and tie. You can conceal all sorts of beasts under a suit coat. I agree with sgms, don't put your piece in with the laptop, you'll never get it out in time if you need to use it, plus if the bag is grabbed so is your gun.

If you are not sure about autos then go with what you are comfortable with. Personally, revolvers are not my cup of tea. I have heard great things about the Ruger Sp101.

ScotchMan

Agree with carrying on your person. Putting it in the bag is asking for trouble.

Since you are used to revolvers, nothing wrong with staying with them. Ruger SP101 or a J-frame would be good choices. Since you mentioned autos and posted in the auto forum, Glock is a good place to start. If you dislike something about the Glock, S&W, Springfield Armory, Ruger, and others all make very similar guns with slightly different feature sets.

I'd stay away from DA/SA autos unless you aren't bothered by the transition from DA to SA. The striker-fired Glock-style trigger will be most similar to a revolver.

scrubcedar

Thanks for the input. No I don't wear a jacket because of my size, last one I bought for church etc. is a 52 long and it's too tight across the shoulders. The reason I thought of putting it in the bag is because it rides on my right shoulder and under my right hand. I'd have to drop it to get to anything if I carried it anywhere else. This also means that I can carry a full size weapon. I like longer barrels on my guns that is what I'm used to. So what you guys are saying is go with smaller/more concealable vs at risk not on my person?

jedi391

Carried in a bag for about $500, I'd go with a S&W M&P full size in your preferred caliber (9mm, .357, .40, or .45). It can be had with a thumb safety which is not a bad idea if it's in a bag and not on you. Make sure you keep a close eye on that bag and it's compliant in your state with your ccw rules.

JJW

At the risk of sounding repetitious, I too suggest you carry the weapon on your person. Since you don't wear a jacket you have a few basic options:
Inside the waist holster (IWB), wearing a golf shirt un-tucked for concealment, OR there are IWB holsters that allow you to tuck the bottom of the shirt in..
My brother, who operates a small catering service, also has to go into less than desirable neighborhoods, carries a J frame S&W in a belly band with a pouch. He prefers that because he can get to his weapon either standing or setting.
Another option is a pocket holster and small weapon like the Kel-Tec P3AT or the Ruger LCP. Both are .380 cal. but there ares some pretty good self defense ammo out there. Given your size, you could even comfortably carry a couple different compact makes of 9mm's in your pocket.
I would caution against ankle holsters as they make it very difficult at best to get to your weapon in a rapid manner. IMHO they are worse than the bag idea. However, your holster problem is just beginning. Have you looked at all the manufacturers of holsters out there?
The most important thing you must decide is manner of carry, then find a weapon that fits YOU and then the carry method. If both the weapon and holster are not completely comfortable, you will find yourself "forgetting" to take it. According to a wise man named Murphy, that is when you will need it the most. My best advice don't try to do this in one or even two days. Talk to people at your local gun store and get several opinions there, as you are here. And Oh Yeah welcome to concealed carry and the decisions that go with it.:)

Nathan

A Kahr P40 in a shoulder holster would be ideal, I would think.

If money were no object, I like a Dan Wesson CCO in 45 ACP.

Mrgunsngear

Glock 17 or 22.

Insanely reliable/durable/easy-to-maintain and plenty of capacity.

DSC01475.jpg

IMAG0888.jpg

The Glock 19 or S&W M&P would both be excellent choices. S&W offers a full size and a compact. These guns are very proven and are within your budget. They have different ergonomics so whichever feels best to you would be the way to go. Another option would be the Walther PPQ. Newer to the market but there is a lot of excellent reviews out on these guns right now. The PPQ is a little more then your budget but can be found slightly used for around $500. These guns are about as simple as it gets as far as controls and manipulation in a semi-auto handgun.

Any of the above are good to go. Pick one that feels the best to you and then get some training. The most important variable is the operator, not the hardware.

scrubcedar

Thanks! I wasn't thinking it through when I suggested carrying it in my briefcase. I'll just pony up for a couple of suit jackets that actually fit. Anybody have any opinions about the old school over the shoulder rigs and how they work vs IWB holsters? Also what exactly is it about the 1911 that makes it still such a popular design? Do they somehow point more naturally, are they simpler to use, etc? I'm having trouble seeing how as a civilian I'm likely to get into a situation requiring me to expend a large number of rounds. If the 1911 is that good would I be better off with that design? It seems to me fewer rounds but they go where they're supposed to is more likely to end the fight.

Last edited:
Thanks! I wasn't thinking it through when I suggested carrying it in my briefcase. I'll just pony up for a couple of suit jackets that actually fit. Anybody have any opinions about the old school over the shoulder rigs and how they work vs IWB holsters? Also what exactly is it about the 1911 that makes it still such a popular design? Do they somehow point more naturally, are they simpler to use, etc? I'm having trouble seeing how as a civilian I'm likely to get into a situation requiring me to expend a large number of rounds. If the 1911 is that good would I be better off with that design? It seems to me fewer rounds but they go where they're supposed to is more likely to end the fight.

The 1911 has good attributes and some less than good attributes, just like all pistols. The 1911 points very naturally, has an excellent trigger, is very accurate and can be quite reliable. However, the 1911 carries fewer rounds than most popular double stack striker fired pistols, is much more expensive than most pistols, is heavy, requires a high level of maintenance to keep them running, will usually require some form of tweaking out of the box, they are magazine sensative and anything shorter then the 5" Government model and in any other caliber then the 45 acp will start to become less reliable then the original design.

If you choose to carry a 1911 it takes passion as they are much more work to maintain then a modern day striker fired polymer gun. If you are not familiar with semi-auto handguns I really can't recommend the 1911 as a good starting point, they are just too finicky, albeit wonderful guns.

I think that shoulder rigs are fine, I've never used one, but they have two drawbacks in my eyes. They have limited use (only under suit coats), and they are expensive. I would think that they would be nice for carrying a heavy, large firearm however. I do think that you would be better off carrying on your person. Its always a compromise to carry a weapon in a brief case, bag, or something that is not on your person.

Seaman

Ahoy Scrub,

I shoulder carry a lot, and when you can afford a 2nd handgun, an ankle gun would be wise as a backup (ie S&W 438 snubby). As a bank rep you are a target.

My current shoulder carry is a S&W M22-4, which is a large N-frame revolver (think Indiana Jones here) that takes semi-auto ammo (45 ACP) and moon-clips which make for fast reloads should it be necessary.

I also shoulder carry a 1911 semi-auto which takes the same 45 ACP ammo, it is single action only, and for a revolver shooter is an easy transition. People will disagree, but imo the 1911 system is the best semi-auto design ever. And for $500 you can pick up a new reliable one made in the Phillipines (ie Rock Island).

Lastly, you really need to lose some weight, I am 6’ too and got up to 265 lbs once, but I bit the bullet and lost over a 100 lbs…today I am 180 lbs…you can do it and you will love life more….

Good luck to you and,

Check your 6.

RC20

Also agree in keeping it on your person (however you manage that)

I disagree on the strikers.

Revolver background puts you in a DA/SA semi auto.

Under $500 that would be the Sig SP2022.

9mm would be the caliber choice. Lot of arguments in that but real world shootings show its as effective as anything larger. If you like something like 40 or 357 Sig its fine choice, just not going to be any more effective. Probably less practice and fewer rounds in the gun.

I go with more practice (for obvious reason) and more rounds for less than obvious. In your case being able to shoot some suppressive and still have round left would be an advantage. Some suppressive might be all you need,.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a good self defense round. Hornady TAP and Remington Golden Saber are examples (lots of others out there and Golden Saber is not the mostly highly rated on the FBI tests though I like it as its accurate and better priced).

9mm works best with 124 and in a +P.

scrubcedar

The reason I eliminated revolvers is that I've put thousands of rounds through a single action revolver and I'm concerned that when I'm stressed I'll revert to manually cocking the hammer on an exposed hammer revolver, or even worse unsuccessfully try it on a revolver where the hammer is Shrouded/unavailable. At that point I might as well figure out a way to carry my Ruger. As some of you have probably already figured out I'm a country boy and carried these revolvers out in the scrubland of Colorado. Basically taught myself to shoot. I don't want any bad habits carrying over. What do you think guys? I was wrong about carrying it in my bag has anyone else out there transitioned the same way? This is 30+ years of reflexes. Thanks especially for the advice Seaman I'm about 6'2" so 270lbs with some pretty wide shoulders doesn't LOOK horrible on me but boy I'm tired of carrying this weight around! It's a little off topic but did you do anything other than eat better and exercize more?