First conceal carry pistol. Need some info

RBid

From that list, the M&P 9c easily stands out to me. My attitude toward carry weapons is that good ones will fight you as little as possible. Of the options presented, the M&P (without optional thumb safety) is one of the two easiest to deploy to first shot with speed, it has the largest capacity, it can accept 17rd spare mags, it has the most weight and surface to help with quick and accurate follow up shots, etc. It is an outstanding carry option, and shoots very much like a service pistol.

As always, I ask "If you ever have to shoot to live, what do you want to be holding?"

Darker Loaf

I like the Walter PPK and XDS in 9mm from your list. If you are open to new options (you seem like you are), Kahrs are really good. I have over 1000 rounds through my Kahr K9 Elite with no stoppages or failures of any kind.

Kahrs are thin, which is great for concealment. They are available all the important flavors: .380 (thinnest, lightest), 9mm (pretty thin, pretty light), .40 (not as thin or light), and if you find your manhood wanting and must have it .45 ACP.

Oh, and get a good belt and holster no matter what caliber or gun you get.

Just kidding on the .45 ACP bash! I just saw somebody being all: "You weakinglings! .380's can't kill!" Too funny! Did you know .22 LR's just bounce off human skin?!? Amazing!

Rob007

Double stack for capacity and longer for accuracy - glock 26 10+1, M&P's 9c 12+1, glock 19 15+1. Have em all and they all work great it you can handle the weight and thickness.

If you gotta go single stack the Shield is a good choice very good to shoot. For max concealment in 9 mm, look at a Kahr cm9. Small as a 380 and smooth DA like trigger - my favorite of all

blackwaterstout

Here is where I am currently in my decision. I am confident that I want a 9mm single stack striker fired polymer pistol. I stopped at another local gun shop tonight to see what they had. The only gun they had that fit my requirements was the M&P Shield which they had priced at $445. I got to handle it next to the M&P9c and I honestly think ill appreciate the thinness of the shield even though it sacrifices capacity. His prices to order the Walther PPS was $535 and to order the XDs was $585. I thought the price of the PPS was a little better than I expected but I'm no expert. My only hesitation was that I've never held the gun in hand so I'm not sure how it feels.

So ill be traveling for the rest of the week and will try to find some new gun shops in hopes I can see the Walther in person.
I may just go with the Shield since its cheapest but for another $90 the PPS is probably worth it.

armoredman

Carry what you know. A good holster makes the difference, like this one,

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Down_Under_Straps/_down_under_straps.html

...and on a good belt like this one,

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Rock_Steady_Belts_/rock_steady_belts_.html

Or stay with the same feel and go with one of the worlds best CCW pistols, the CZ75 PCR.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-d-pcr-compact/

The alloy frame is lighter than the steel frame, and gives you the same great ergonomics. I have had great luck with CZ pistols for carry.

My only hesitation was that I've never held the gun in hand so I'm not sure how it feels.

i'm not exaggerating when i say that if you've held the xds, you've held the pps. the ONLY difference you will notice is the trigger guard mag release.

Jayhawkhuntclub

The 9c is about as good of a CCW as you can get. It's better designed than the Glock 19 (which is excellent too). If you put it in a nice hybrid (Crossbreed type) holster, it is very concealable. It is of course limited in how you can carry it. It is not a pocket gun.

tomrkba

Today I shot a 3rd gen Glock 19 and an M&P9. I wish I could have shot the M&P9c but it wasn't available. The Glock felt decent in hand. Didn't think it felt great firing though. I did like the quick tear down. I think the M&P9 felt great in hand. I think the 9C might be better for me than the shield but I won't know until I can see the shield in person.

Based upon this response and others from the OP, the best course of action is to buy nothing at this time.* The reality is that the OP has NO IDEA what he NEEDS in a defensive handgun. He knows what he wants, but that may not match up with what he needs. The OP's current needs are likely to learn to shoot first and carry second. A very small handgun is difficult to learn on. The good news is any gun that is Glock 26 height and length (and up to approximately Glock 19 height and length) is easy to carry and suitable for learning.

I recommend that his immediate action be to rent any service sized handgun chambered in 9x19mm or 45 ACP and pay for an hour of instruction at the same time. This will start the OP's handgun shooting "career" on the right foot. The OP should repeat this weekly while waiting for the classes. As soon as possible after that first range session, the OP should attend NRA Basic Pistol, followed closely by any "Level 1" two to five day defensive handgun course. The OP will have a very good idea regarding what he needs and wants at the end of that defensive handgun course. This program will save him the most money in the long run while maximizing his skill.

* Unless this is an emergency and the OP needs a handgun for self-protection. In such a case, a service sized handgun should be purchased along with range instruction. He should attend several 1 hour range sessions with a good instructor within a week to become acquainted with the handgun, learn to handle it safely, and shoot it with at least a minimum level of proficiency.

Last edited:

blackwaterstout

Based upon this response and others from the OP, the best course of action is to buy nothing at this time.* The reality is that the OP has NO IDEA what he NEEDS in a defensive handgun. He knows what he wants, but that may not match up with what he needs. The OP's current needs are likely to learn to shoot first and carry second. A very small handgun is difficult to learn on. The good news is any gun that is Glock 26 height and length (and up to approximately Glock 19 height and length) is easy to carry and suitable for learning.

I recommend that his immediate action be to rent any service sized handgun chambered in 9x19mm or 45 ACP and pay for an hour of instruction at the same time. This will start the OP's handgun shooting "career" on the right foot. The OP should repeat this weekly while waiting for the classes. As soon as possible after that first range session, the OP should attend NRA Basic Pistol, followed closely by any "Level 1" two to five day defensive handgun course. The OP will have a very good idea regarding what he needs and wants at the end of that defensive handgun course. This program will save him the most money in the long run while maximizing his skill.

* Unless this is an emergency and the OP needs a handgun for self-protection. In such a case, a service sized handgun should be purchased along with range instruction. He should attend several 1 hour range sessions with a good instructor within a week to become acquainted with the handgun, learn to handle it safely, and shoot it with at least a minimum level of proficiency.

Lol. Did you even read the original posting? I clearly stated I already own a CZ-75BD (AKA service size pistol) and that I already know how to shoot and I've taken basic handgun classes and have submitted paperwork for my CCW permit.
I just want a smaller gun that's easy and comfortable to conceal. I asked for suggestions. I got several good ones and appreciate that.

Goodness.........

tomrkba

I read it awhile back and forgot.

Are you any good at shooting it? If you suck, then go to training before carrying.

campbed

On my short list... 9mm ccw...

http://www.berettausa.com/nano/

and review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxpkM7q_2E

It is tough to select given I want to hold and shoot prior to purchasing.

I'd ignore the caliber religion wars. We just had two knuckleheads here in NH (if I remember right) dispatch each other, one with 22LR, one with 9mm, both seem to be dead.

Maybe we over think this. If you buy one of your choices, and turn out not to like it, or carry it, sell it and repeat. Downer somewhat, but the up side is you get to turn yourself into an expert on the ones you've owned. Ha.

Good luck.

Last edited:

tomrkba

Maybe we over think this. If you buy one of your choices, and turn out not to like it, or carry it, sell it and repeat. Downer somewhat, but the up side is you get to turn yourself into an expert on the ones you've owned

Half the fun of gun ownership and shooting is that churn. Negotiating a great deal is fun. It allows one to try different guns for awhile. Sometimes they're keepers and sometimes not.

rodfac

Having carried for many, I hate to think how many, years, I'd opine that weight is a vary big part of your decision to tote your piece or leave it in the glove box. Size is next, and caliber third.

For that reason, I really like the S&W J frames, particularly the Airweight series. In .38 Spl +P, they offer good SD options, light weight and small yet controllable size. Simplicity is their middle name...pull the trigger...that's it. No magazines to fully seat, no safety to mess with or inadvertently push off or on, no slide to rack if you've got slippery hands or are wearing gloves....Simplicity in the heat of an encounter may save your life....and for a non-gun person (?Wife?)...a revolver is the best choice (IMHO).

The hammerless, Airweight's fit in most any pocket, can be shot from there if it's loose enough, and won't snag as you make your draw move. A pocket holster will help, but is not absolutely necessary. My preference, is one of the high ride OWB holsters, and I adjust my wardrobe to accommodate that preference. In all honesty, if you carry, you WILL make wardrobe adjustments with any holster or pocket carry method.

Caliber: .380 is pretty light (not recommended by many shooting schools, Front Sight among them). A .38 Spl or 9mm is a better choice, but any gun is better than none, even the lowly .22 LR. And the recommendation to shoot your carry piece a lot cannot be over-emphasized...a lot....so that the gun is an extension of your hand....regular practice is a necessity as gun fighting is a perishable skill....

I shoot every day...some for fun, some for SD practice but it helps to have a range out my back door....commit to the practice, and force your wife if necessary, to accompany you as often as she'll allow. She's more apt to be confronted than you, if you think about it....

HTH's ... Rod.

blackwaterstout

I bit the bullet so to speak and picked up the M&P Shield in 9mm. Hopefully I can get it to the range this weekend to break it in. Have to admit though, almost had second thoughts after the shop owner showed me the Beretta Nano. Went with the Shield instead since I hadn't educated myself about the Nano.

obiwan1

Your Shield is as good a choice as any others. Now just figure out how to carry it. OWB, IWB, pocket, ankle, groin.....

As I was reading the thread, I was going to suggest that you buy GOOD holster/belt for the CZ. Over MANY years of carrying, I find it just as easy to carry any duty sized or compact sized auto. I currently carry a H&K P2000 with no issues at all. Once you get into the sub compact/pocket guns, you expand the possibilities of how to carry, but with some negative impact on performance. I carried a PPK .380 for well over 20 years. I learned to live with its issues (and there ARE issues). Most of the time in a Brooks Brother's environment it was pocket carry (with a Rybka pocket holster). Casual time with a decent IWB holster. When belt carrying OWB, it's just as easy to hide a 1911 or Browning P35 (again - with GOOD belt/holster). This was the '60s, '70s, '80s and up until mid '90s. Now there are dozens of choices all of which are excellent.

Bottom line - your Shield is fine. It will complement the CZ very nicely. You may just find that the CZ is for you and the Shield will be for wifey. Whatever.... just train with what you chose to carry. :cool::D