FBI to 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted by the mavracer:
"as what is directly in the path of the bullet."
"The wound path of the projectile is known as permanent cavity"

You do realize the bullet is the projectile
Wound path and "what is directly in the path of" do not express the same thing to me.

Momentum can not change form energy can if two bullets have the same momentum and one has more energy they will make similar size permanent cavitys and the one with more energy will make a larger temporary cavity (elastic energy) it'll also produce more heat (heat energy) and make a louder smack (sound energy).
That blew by me. Try again.

If the size of the hole doesn't matter then why not a 32?
One more time, who has said that it doesn't matter?

TimSr

And yet after the next great shoot out another witch hunt will be launched. Weapons and ammunition will be blamed, yet again, and a whole new round of expensive testing will ensue.

Sorry if I seem cynical, but...I am.

It's a good thing they only happen every 30 years or so. It's a bad thing that we are about due.

Posted by mavracer:
One more time, who has said that it [the size of the hole, bringing a .32 into the discussion] doesn't matter?
YOU DO
NO. I have not said that the size of the hole doesn't matter, or that a .32 or smaller would be a good idea.

I said that forensic pathologists cannot necessarily determine by examining wounds whether the wound was made by a .40 or a 9MM---I cited this from Rob Pincus:
Having talked to many EMTs and trauma doctors, and examined a significant amount of pictures/medical reports, there is a negligible difference between the wounding capacity of the 9mm and the .40 S&W.

You have thrown in smaller calibers, and I have pointed out that I have not been discussing them.

And if "path of the bullet" and "bullets path" mean different things to you I give up.
I referred to the wound path, defined as "path [made by] the projectile", and to neither the "path of the bullet" nor "the bullets path". The distinction would seem to be largely one of semantics, and one more time, we probably all understand what we mean by permanent cavity.

5thShock

In view of the failures, intentional and otherwise, of the FBI Crime Lab in matters of evidence I am skeptical of any FBI technical analysis. They have already shown, and apologized for, a history of made to order analyses.

R1145

My conclusions

This is an interesting thread, because the FBI, rightly or wrongly, has the reputation of being the highest law enforcement authority with respect to technical expertise in the nation. All this is indeed old news, but based on my own reading, training and experience, I draw the following conclusions:

- Any of the main self-defense handgun calibers is adequate if modern bullets are used (9mmP and .38 spl should be +P, though);

- I personally prefer the .40 as the best balance between power and size, but I have not seen enough of an advantage to upgrade from my personal Glock 19 (in 9mmP);

- From an institutional standpoint, I understand how a large agency needs to standardize on a specific weapon and caliber, given procurement, training, logistic, maintenance and legal considerations;

- Given an adequate caliber, modern ammunition and a modern handgun, the fight is going to be decided by by training and luck.

Posted by 5thShock:
In view of the failures, intentional and otherwise, of the FBI Crime Lab in matters of evidence I am skeptical of any FBI technical analysis. They have already shown, and apologized for, a history of made to order analyses.
Not sure what it is to which you are referring, but it is all known that misidentifications can and do occur regarding all kinds of laboratory forensic analysis, including hair analysis, bite-mark comparisons, fiber ID, mass spectrometry, fingerprints, voice analysis--on and on, extending even to DNA analysis, widely considered the hole grail of forensic analysis.

Those are by no means limited to the FBI crime laboratories.

If you are aware of any "intentional failures" with the FBI division of Laboratory Services, you have us at a disadvantage.

None of that relates in any way to the subject at hand. Your comment is off topic.

mavracer

I said that forensic pathologists cannot necessarily determine by examining wounds whether the wound was made by a .40 or a 9MM---I cited this from Rob Pincus:

Cherry picking information to support your position is extremely disingenuous, Rob is often guilty of this too so probably not the best source.

The forensic pathologists cannot determine caliber from wounds even between the smaller 32s and 380s so if you're going to use that for a reference OWN IT.

I referred to the wound path, defined as "path [made by] the projectile", and to neither the "path of the bullet" nor "the bullets path".
Arguing that bullet and projectile aren't the same thin isn't semantics it's <edit>

Posted by mavracer:
[In reference to distinguishing wound channels made by different service handguns] Cherry picking information to support your position is extremely disingenuous, Rob is often guilty of this too so probably not the best source.
I have no idea what you man by "cherry picking".

I did include this from Pincus:
It is important to note that I am not arguing that a single .40S&W bullet doesn’t hold more potential to stop in any event, rather I believe that the small increase in potential is not worth the absolute known detriments in recoil and capacity.

The forensic pathologists cannot determine caliber from wounds even between the smaller 32s and 380s so if you're going to use that for a reference OWN IT.
I'm not aware of whether that is true, but it is irrelevant. The discussion was about larger calibers. You had said "40 S&W and 45 ACP leave a measurably larger permanent wound channel". I responded with "that would seem self evident, though again, it is reported that forensic pathologists often cannot distinguish among them after real shooting incidents".

Arguing that bullet and projectile aren't the same thin isn't semantics it's <edit>
Who has attempted to do so? I cannot tell whether you are being argumentative on purpose or simply cannot comprehend what is written. The distinction lies in what the wound path made by the projectile means as compared that the path of the projectile means.

That could be important in some context or other, but here it is just semantic.

Or it you prefer, semantical.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
5thShock said:
The OP contained a quote from an FBI technical analysis from "FBI Training Division: FBI Academy, Quantico, VA."
Therefore a comment on the reliability of FBI technical expertise is relevant. So...

DOJ IG report...
http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/2014/e1404.pdf
Utter nonsense. You must demonstrate that an analysis, published in 1996, of some apparent deficiencies at the FBI Laboratory is somehow relevant to a study (referenced here) done by the FBI Training Division published in 2014.

5thShock

The citation is but one of the items of information that are meant to inform the inquiry of the thread, it is not meant to prove a case. Stand facing the wind, it will lay your feathers back down.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
5thShock said:
The citation is but one of the items of information that are meant to inform the inquiry of the thread,...
Which is does not do. Your citation is irrelevant, and your position is preposterous.

mavracer

I'm not aware of whether that is true, but it is irrelevant. The discussion was about larger calibers. You had said "40 S&W and 45 ACP leave a measurably larger permanent wound channel". I responded with "that would seem self evident, though again, it is reported that forensic pathologists often cannot distinguish among them after real shooting incidents".

Here we go again it doesn't support Old Marksman's position it's irrelevant.
Larger holes aren't better because the ME can't tell, but smaller holes aren't as good even though ME's can't tell.
LOL

Who has attempted to do so?
Well exactly what distinction are you trying to make.
I originally said "when you define the permanent cavity as what is directly in the path of the bullet"

and Fackler says.

The main aim of a bullet is to crush, i.e., destroy the tissue actually hit by the bullet, ... The wound path of the projectile is known as permanent cavity ...

IF the bullet/projectile hit's it it's in the path of the bullet/projectile.

Posted by Mavracer:
Here we go again it doesn't support Old Marksman's position it's irrelevant.
Larger holes aren't better because the ME can't tell, but smaller holes aren't as good even though ME's can't tell.
Well, no one has said, so far, that larger holes aren't "better". The entire discussion has been about how much better, and about whether the advantage offsets the disadvantages.

The FBI Training Division, FBI Academy, Quantico, VA. has officially concluded that it does not, and Rob Pincus came to the same conclusion some time ago

Yes, that is also my position.

Not that it applies only when certain modern, premium, bonded bullets that have passed certain tests are used.

The discussion has been limited to service calibers. The FBI document did not address smaller diameter rounds.

No one but you has asserted that medical examiners cannot distinguish between wounds created by small diameter handgun bullets and bullets from service rounds. Frank asked for a basis for that opinion.

But most informed opinion seems to hold that the effectiveness of smaller diameter hand gun bullets is such that they would be less than ideal for serious use. Certainly no police departments issue .32s for primary carry these days, though many did in 1900, and the 7.65 police and service pistols used in Europe more than half a centurago seem to have been retired.

Well exactly what distinction are you trying to make.
Well, it sure isn't that a bullet is not a projectile.

I originally said "when you define the permanent cavity as what is directly in the path of the bullet"
Yes, you did.

and Fackler says The main aim of a bullet is to crush, i.e., destroy the tissue actually hit by the bullet, ... The wound path of the projectile is known as permanent cavity ...
Yes, he did.

IF the bullet/projectile hit's it it's in the path of the bullet/projectile.
So the question, if you really want to keep bringing this up, would be whether the bullet destroys--wounds--creates a permanent cavity--in proportion to its diameter in whatever it hits.

Does it?

I alluded to this before, in the comparison between the .38 LRN, wadcutter, and semi-wadcutter. I am under the impression that a long tapered bullet may not create as large a permanent wound channel in elastic human flesh than would a bullet of the same diameter with a different ogive.

That seems reasonable to me.

Is it?

johnelmore

People love the United States, they love the flag, but when it comes to the actual government they tend to view it with suspicion and the 9mm debate is a very good example as to why. The government is a huge instrument and the gears turn in many ways we simply dont understand all the time. They say a lot of things and sometimes come full circle. You can see why now you have the 2nd Amendment and the other Amendments and thats because of the nature of government.

I will sit back and watch. There will be another chance encounter where the 9mm is blamed and they will come up again with yet another caliber and, yes, there will be winding threads and discussions on the matter. In 30 years we will come full circle again. My arms are folded, Im smiling and waiting for another full circle...another orbit...and only can hope the next caliber will be named after one of you fine gentleman.

mavracer

Let's see your evidence.
No one but you has asserted that medical examiners cannot distinguish between wounds created by small diameter handgun bullets and bullets from service rounds. Frank asked for a basis for that opinion.
Her's a quote from Ralph J. Riviello, MD, MS, FACEP
Can you tell the caliber of the bullet based on wound size or radiographs?
The simple answer is no. The size of any gunshot wound, entrance or exit, is primarily determined by five variables: the size, shape, configuration, and velocity of the bullet at the instant of its impact with the tissue, plus the physical characteristics of the impacted tissue itself. Importantly, because of the elasticity of skin, the size of the entrance wound will not coincide with the caliber of the bullet. The wound may be smaller, larger, or the same size as the bullet. When a bullet hits the skin surface, it causes indentation before perforation. Following perforation, elasticity causes the skin to recoil, and the resulting round, circular defect is not the same size as the diameter of the bullet.

and another from US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health
Variation in wound size resulting from such factors as bullet shape, surface treatment, strength characteristics, loss of gyroscopic stability, intermediate targets, tangential impacts, and existing fractures are discussed. Also, the large variety of calibers available are noted as complicating the prediction of caliber from wound size. In view of these factors caution is recommended in any attempt to determine precise bullet caliber from the minimum dimensions of the cranial gunshot entrance wound.
now let's see Rob's.

Last edited:

Frank Ettin

Administrator
mavracer said:
...now let's see Rob's.
Well Rob Pincus isn't here. But when OldMarksman quoted Pincus, OldMarksman linked in post 23 to his source for the quote.

When quoting a source, it is customary and proper to tell us exactly where the quote came from. So if quoting from an on-line publication, one needs to link to the source. When quoting from a source other than an on-line source, one needs to identify the source by title, author, publisher, publication date, and the page on which the quote can be found.

Here's an example of appropriate citation of an on-line source:
Frank Ettin said:
...Also see the FBI paper entitled "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness", by Urey W. Patrick. Agent Patrick, for example, notes on page 8:
...Psychological factors are probably the most important relative to achieving rapid incapacitation from a gunshot wound to the torso. Awareness of the injury..., fear of injury, fear of death, blood or pain; intimidation by the weapon or the act of being shot; or the simple desire to quit can all lead to rapid incapacitation even from minor wounds. However, psychological factors are also the primary cause of incapacitation failures.

The individual may be unaware of the wound and thus have no stimuli to force a reaction. Strong will, survival instinct, or sheer emotion such as rage or hate can keep a grievously wounded individual fighting....

Here's an example of appropriate citation to an off-line source:
Frank Ettin said:
...Dr. V. J. M. DiMaio (DiMaio, V. J. M., M. D., Gunshot Wounds, Elsevier Science Publishing Company, 1987, pg. 42, as quoted in In Defense of Self and Others..., Patrick, Urey W. and Hall, John C., Carolina Academic Press, 2010, pg. 83):
In the case of low velocity missles, e. g., pistol bullets, the bullet produces a direct path of destruction with very little lateral extension within the surrounding tissue. Only a small temporary cavity is produced. To cause significant injuries to a structure, a pistol bullet must strike that structure directly. The amount of kinetic energy lost in the tissue by a pistol bullet is insufficient to cause the remote injuries produced by a high-velocity rifle bullet.

So with regard to the sources you cited:

• Exactly where did Dr. Riviello say what you attributed to him?

• Exactly where did the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health publish what you attributed to it?

Proper citation is appropriate to allow a reader to both verify the quote and see its complete context.

Status
Not open for further replies.