FBI Sniper CAN Be Charged

kjm

As for the comment a while back about the FBI only having five screw-ups, let me ask you this: How many screw-ups did the FBI have in the old days under JE Hoover? You say you don't recall? Exactly the point. Hoover fired anyone for the slightest exercise of poor judgement. To even get a job at the FBI you had to be a physician, lawyer, accountant or other highly educated field. The standards were extremely high, and because of those high standards, people flocked to the Bueareau by the hundreds because back then, when a man said he was a G man, it meant that he was the absolute best. If your kid was lost, and the FBI showed up, you had faith that your kid was going to be found. If a bank was robbed, they caught the robber. They WERE a professional organization with high standards and accountablility.

The FBI now pretty much does as it pleases, has lowered the standards to get in (now a BS or BA gets you in), and they refuse to hold a few bad apples accountable and even go so far as to promote the ones who trample human rights. This encourages bad behavior.

Here's a list of RECENT FBI Screwups:

1. Timothy McVeigh's evidence. How could they risk screwing up the case of the decade?

2. Wen Ho Lee. They kept this man in Solitary confinement for a year (you nor I can imagine the psychological torture of SC) and destroyed his life, and when the Judge said to produce the evidence against this most dangerous criminal, the FBI couldn't produce a stick of evidence that pointed to his guilt. Shame on the FBI. At least Vicky Weaver went quickly. Wen Ho Lee knows the meaning of suffering.

3. Waco. No federal jurisdiction. No federal crimes. Falsified warrant. Perjury. Need I say more?

4. TWA flight 800. We could argue all day long about this one, but I sure don't believe the story they gave. They also didn't bother to interview or take notes of the most credible witness'.

5. The Atlanta Olympics bombing. I forget the name of the security guard who was the hero of the thing, but for two years they destroyed his life, and cast a cloud of doubt over his story. When it turned out that he was a genuine hero, they let it quietly fade into the darkness.

6. FBI Lab falsifying evidence to gain convictions. I can't for the life of me understand why any cop would want a conviction so bad that it would be willing to falsify evidence against the innocent so they get their conviction. Shame on the FBI.

7. Allowing a KNOWN innocent man to spend a decade in prison so as not to give away their informants, yet the informants were known murderers.

8. Allowing another known innocent man to spend twenty years in prison prior to fessing up. Again, to protect the identities of known murderers who were providing the Bueareau with questionable information.

I suppose the list could go on, but when I think back to the J. E. Hoover days, none of this stuff happened. He may have been a moral vacuum himself, but he kept the FBI clean, honest, and professional.

I'm about to move to a new location and I can tell you honestly that I would not knowingly move in next-door to an agent of the FBI or ATF if I could help it. I don't want my kids to have such poor moral examples. To even work for an agency that has such contempt for the principles that built this country is a display of moral cowardice. I would however feel safe knowing a Deputy or other local police officer lived next-door. Why? Because the local guy is held accountable for his actions, the Federal guy is not.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
kjm, I can understand your feelings EXACTLY. Twice I have had dealings with US Marshals and the only word I can use to describe both encounters is ARROGANCE! One time I was bar-b-queing on our deer lease with an enforcement agent of the Louisiana Dept. Of Wildlife and Fisheries. We were in a clearing right off the road. This is a onelane dirt logging road that is impassable during wet weather and not marked with any signs, and all of this area is dense woods. It is part opf the Tunica Hills. Jim (La. Agent) was off duty but did have his uniform shirt on. A truck drove up with a Mississippi Game Warden and a US Marshall in it. Our lease is on the La.-Miss. border but all of the lease is in La. Before the Miss. agent (who seemed to be a very nice man) could even start asking questions the US Marshall showed his a**, wanted to see my Miss. Hunting license, accused me of running dogs in Miss. and it not being the dog season, hunting in Miss. withoiut a non resident license etc. I told him I didn't have a Miss. License. He said "we are going to take you in." I then asked him why I would need a Miss. liscense in La. He looked at me like I was a total idiot. Then I asked if HE knew where he was, and if he knew where the state line was, and if he knew that at that very moment he was in Louisiana by about 1/3 of a mile. He looked like he was about to explode. Finally Jim stepped in, showed his ID and repeated the same things that I had just told him. The Miss. Agent apologized and said "I really don't know where the line is, and can see you are cooking and not hunting. The Marshall said someting to the effect of one of these days you will learn or something like I will get you or something to that effect. I shudder to think of what might have happened had Jim not been with me and had his ID (he was also in a department truck, with markings). Now in my mind this is nothing but pure ARROGANCE! I also began to wonder if it was not possible that he may come back and try to get me when I was by myself on some kind of trumped up charge. The very few times that I have seen all federal agents in action they all seem to have the same mindset as this US Marshall. I know that all are not like that but most are. FBI, BATF, US Marshalls Etc. These people must be held accountable to us. Remember WE are their final employer.

D

DeakonG

Does everyone really think the FBI was cleaner in the "good, old days"???...guys, put down the pipes...it just wasn't reported or exposed...plus I do believe that it was much easier to lose files in the "good, old days"...the modern equivalent is dependant on its own history for example of procedure...

G

kjm

DeakonG,
Sure, they were still pulling stuff back then, but it wasn't blatant, and the COULD be fired if it brought discredit upon the Bureau. Again, I think a lot has to do with the low standards they've adopted. We all know that the FBI bugged MLK, and there's suspicion about RFK, but they still had to get a court order. The FBI has gone to s**t, and it got there within about 15 years. We can't blame it all on Reno. In any case, I think they all should be disbanded, and sent to the ash bin of history. The constitution gives very little authority for Federal law enforcement, and they've completely ignored from where they derive their authority. They don't get it from Congress, the President, or the Atty General. They derive their authority from the constitution (or used to). Let's just stick to the eighteen enumerated items that they are allowed to do, and ignore the other crap and leave it to States to enforce.

D

DeakonG

kjm...

sorry, have to disagree...back then the media didn't really care...that equals no watchdog...also, you said it yourself, they got fired for discredit to the agency, not whether or not what they did was illegal...personallly, I think they're a necessary evil...they've got resources that are needed to keep a lot of the trash in the country in check...do I trust them???...not a chance...there's just something wrong with having a big brother that doesn't share the same bloodlines as yourself...

G

rock_jock

From an armchair critic, let me say that I think that this situation is the direct result of a disturbing trend in federal (and increasingly state and local) law enforecment agencies to pursue criminals like enemy soldiers. I am speaking specifically of the the military-like mindset of the elite units of the FBI, ATF, DEA, etc. These guys rigorously and continuously train to employ military-like tactics against civilian opponents. As a result, they become highly professional and very good at their jobs, however, it seems to me that they also develop a warrior attitude as a consequence. This is not a good thing. The warrior attitude is what makes a good soldier, and we all know that some part of every good soldier looks forward to being tested in the heat of battle. But this isn't Vietnam or Iraq and federal agents shouldn't be looking forward to an opportunity for engagement. The overkill response at Ruby Ridge tells me this is exactly what they wanted, and for that matter, looked forward to. This is the US, and our fellow citizens need to be treated as such. Sending military troops, even if they are in the guise of law enforcement agents, into action against a civilian population can only lead to disastrous results. The FBI needs to recognize this, or they may find that the citizens they treat like soldiers may one day react that way.

Waitone

Militarization of law enforcement is the problem. Combine that with reduced accountability and the ability to escalate force and we have all we need for a primer.

I am EXTREMELY concerned over militarization of federal executive branch. It seems to me every agency has its ninjas.

Does anyone out there know of any books, reports, etc. which documents how many and which agencies have their own ninja's? Where does the money come from to train?

What triggered my concern over militarization? A post-Waco photo showing a goon standing on something in the charred compound holding his weapon high over his head. . . . .the same pose American troops took in Iraq after the war. Was Waco a war to these people? If true, we are in deep do-do. The future does not bode well if LE thinks it is at war with groups is disagrees with.

BJM

Militarization of law enforcement. I couldn't agree more that that is where the main problem lies. I know many officers and that is exactly their mindset. They are nobodys friend and are not there to help anyone (except other officers). They live to exert as much force as possible.

What separates law enforcement from criminals is that law enforcement is supposed to follow the law and is restricted by civil rights. However, that distinction is quickly fading. When law enforcement gets all sorts of immunity, there no longer is any incentive for them to also be law abiding.

Instead of holding law enforcement to lower standards than the rest of us, they should be held to higher standards. If I accidentally shoot someone, I am screwed. So should someone with a badge.

Everyone should be accountable.

Long Path

Re: RockJock's assessment

That may be the most astute statement in this thread.

Southla1, I know you were a victim of overbearing, arrogant, badge-heavy federal cop, but honestly, man, it was one encounter! Please don't judge all fed cops for your interactions with a few, any more than you would judge all of us small-town cops for your personal interaction with Roscoe P. Coaltraine.

Back in the Hoover days, you were guilty if Hoover said you were. End of story. Rest assured that there's a hell of a lot more transparency to the modern FBI than there was, then. Honestly, y'all-- those were the bad old days of law enforcement. Hoover embraced McCarthyism, investigated people out of sheer personal distaste for them, and regularly encouraged the employment of illegal tactics. Those guys who sat in jail, innocent for so many years? Some were convicted during the Hoover years.

The one good (great) thing that Hoover did was bring the aura of professionalism to law enforcement.

Let's see what the new Director can bring in.

kjm, the crime lab wasn't necessarily falsifying evidence-- they were just using some very, very shoddy lab practices and wouldn't allow anyone to oversee them. Big difference.

--L.P.

deanf

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

It shall be interesting to see what happens if a warrant is issued for Horiuchi. I would expect other FBI agents to protect him and keep his whereabouts a secret. If the Idaho authorities were to learn his whereabouts and come for him, I would expect said agents to prevent his capture.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
LongPath There were 2 other times I saw US Marshalls in action in the same area (not the same men either time). Though I did not speak to them, I was there and saw with my own eyes the arrogance they displayed. I did speak to a friend that is a LDWF agent (Louisiana Game Warden) and he agreed with my assesment that they were a*******. He said if it was up to him the checks should be carried out by just the wildlife agents, and to hell with worrying about a state line, and US marshalls, but it was higher up's in both departments that wanted them there because of the state line issue. It got so bad with the US Marshalls being there that Louisiana started doing their own road block checks about 2 or 3 miles from the state line, and I have never seen a nicer bunch of guys than the Louisiana State Troopers and the Wildlife and Fisheries agents that were there. They did their job but were very courteous about the whole issue.
As far as a small town officers go, most all of em are great, but I will put the ones that are in a small town near me up against the best in the nation. I had a tire blow out on my boat trailer one time, and this local officer not only helped me take the wheel off the trailer, but he also stayed right there, with the boat, while I went and had another tire mounted on the wheell. He told me that if he did that no one would mess with the fishing gear and electronics that were in the boat.
I had Louisiana State Trooper one time go way overboard when I had car trouble at 9PM on I-10 in New Orleans. Not only did he push my disabled car to a lighted, guarded, parking lot, but he helped me take the valuables out of it, and gave my family and I a ride of about 10 miles to a car rental agency, and STAYED IN THE PARKING LOT until I gave him the sign that all was well.
You can believe that not only did his superior hear my thanks but the governor did also. These state and local guys are the best men you want to meet both in and out of uniform, but the one "dealing" I had with, and the other 2 times that I saw, personally and close up, feds in action it left a horrible taste in my mouth.

deanf

I once had contact with a federal officer in an official capacity, in a hunting situation. He was also riding with a state game officer. They were investigating a crime, and I and my party were suspects. In my case, the federal officer was more courteous than the state officer. We were all carrying pistols openly. He didn't show any overt concern about that (although I did note him using good officer safety procedures.)

I'm not sure what agency he was with, but the insignia on his hat was certainly the easily recognizable federal shield.

Anyway, he was a nice guy.