Faxon ar barrel problems

Shadow9mm

@Shadow9--try as I might; I couldn't find TMK's in .224 anywhere; but I did find at creedmoor sports American Bullet Company's 77gr "match bullet" which as far as I can tell is identical to Sierra's TMK. I also found in the back of one of my safes a 5.56 build I did a while ago and simply forgot I had it--this one is based on a Fulton Armory 20" chrome-lined service style barrel in 1:7 twist--I believe the barrel is made for them by Criterion. Gonna whip me up some single-shot loads and see how they do.

attachment.php
Cool setup!

stagpanther

thnx--It's actually pretty lightweight, too. The mongo scope (a vortex crossfire which is OK, but not great IMO) is only for load development. I'll get some serious testing with the TMK wanabees done once our winds drop a bit--it's been blowing 20 to 40 mph for the past few days.

Shadow9mm

thnx--It's actually pretty lightweight, too. The mongo scope (a vortex crossfire which is OK, but not great IMO) is only for load development. I'll get some serious testing with the TMK wanabees done once our winds drop a bit--it's been blowing 20 to 40 mph for the past few days.
Had a crossfire and diamondback. Was not happy with either. The primary arms optiic i have now is a bit heavy, but really nice

Last edited:

stagpanther

The diamondback is what I consider "as low as I'll go" with vortex--it at least has side focus and a decent reticle. I actually was fishing out my 6mm ARC when I found the FA build, and the bullets arrives at the same time (around $150 for 500).

Since small rifle primers are the only ones that seem reasonably available I'm switching my shooting to mostly rifles that use them.

Shadow9mm

The diamondback is what I consider "as low as I'll go" with vortex--it at least has side focus and a decent reticle. I actually was fishing out my 6mm ARC when I found the FA build, and the bullets arrives at the same time (around $150 for 500).

Since small rifle primers are the only ones that seem reasonably available I'm switching my shooting to mostly rifles that use them.
I have been using SRP in my 9mm for a while. just got SPP back in stock at my local shop, granted $90-100 per 1000.

HiBC

In SOME cases,you get what you pay for. As a machinist,I appreciate indexing to the rifling and drilling a gas port centered in a groove (or land) is some meticulous stuff.
With a commitment to "This is the way we do it" tooling can be made to make it routine,

If you read Kreiger's web page about how they make barrels,they place the port centered ,

I'm appalled at the burrs. Sure,you get a burr every time you break through,but those are $10 an hour drill press jig burrs,

If I was in the business of porting barrels I might use an Electrical Discharge Machine, No burrs.

deadcoyote

Regarding the question of how can a flash hider affect accuracy: I’m not remotely an engineer so don’t expect a good technical answer. I had a BCM 16” mid gas rifle that was a great shooter, .8-1.1” groups at 100 yards with basic cheap 55 grain ammo.

I put a KAK flash cam on the rifle and when I shot it again I was constantly getting groups of 4.5-5.5” at 100 yards. I was super confused and initially thought there was a problem with the optic or mount and messed with that for two weekends in a row. I finally realized the only thing that had changed was the KAK muzzle device so I took it off and just shot the rifle bare muzzle and was instantly back to great groups. I’m not bad mouthing KAK, just with my rifle and that device some kind of awful combination created piss poor barrel harmonics or something.

Edit to add: for a 5.56 barrel after shooting a white oak I’m a huge fan, and they’re not too expensive. I also am reading this as I just bought a faxon AR 10 barrel and you guys are scaring the bejeezus out of me. Faxon seems to generally have a good reputation and frankly it seems the AR 10 market is almost entirely HBAR or varmint profile barrels. Faxon makes a pencil barrel for a fair price so I snatched it up. If this thread is still alive in a few weeks I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

Last edited:

bfoosh006

I can't help but wonder where the gas tube was positioned while all this gas was escaping at the mount area ( gas block ) ... a smooth consistent gas tube to gas key interface is important to consistent accuracy.

Do you remember if the gas tube was wobbly at all when you removed it ?

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

I can't help but wonder where the gas tube was positioned while all this gas was escaping at the mount area ( gas block ) ... a smooth consistent gas tube to gas key interface is important to consistent accuracy.

Do you remember if the gas tube was wobbly at all when you removed it ?
There was a little play. I was advised by faxon that it was normal.

stagpanther

postscript on my Satern barrel:

After taking pictures of the port I sent them to Creedmoor Sports (where I originally bought the barrel) and to their credit right from the start they said they would do whatever it took to make me happy. I wasn't looking for a refund, and as it turns out Steve Satern is a friend of the guy who contacted me, and after examining the pics indicated Satern would send me a replacement directly.

Stuff happens--I've had top-tier barrels arrive with issues before--but CS is what I remember when ordering stuff.:)