Faxon ar barrel problems

ocharry

so if the new barrel is not pinned....will it have a dimple??

if not dimpled from the factory, some manufacturers will void the warranty if done at home....just a thought...you should ask them if you plan on dimpling it yourself

my greenmountain 223wyld barrle is not dimpled for that reason...i used a midwest industries 3 screw gas block and it has never moved...it is not an adjustable block..i could dimple easy here..just put it in the mill and line it up and im sure those dimple fixtures work well too...you just dont have as much depth control...i didnt do it because they told me it would void the warranty

i guess my next question is; why do you think you need an adjustable gas block?? are you anticipating being over gassed?? and if you are over gassed you can control recoil with a mass change...heavier buffer

i used a heavybuffer.com product in my wyld build with his spring set up and it is a smooth runner.....but my set up is 18" with rifle gas

just curious as to your thinking on adjustable gas on this

ocharry

Shadow9mm

I do not plan to dimple at this time. The screws have a hollow point and serrations on the mouth. I dont think it will move.

As far as the adjustable block goes i want to try some things.

I figured it would give me a way to measure the gas. Currently I can only say subjectively whether a gun is over gassed or not. I can estimate by gas coming out of the receiver. The way the recoil felt. And to some degree the ejection pattern. The Aero precision gas block has 15 adjustment positions. with one position being full open and or not impeding the gas. Once adjusted I will be able to tell is the gun is over gassed based on how far its closed off, or if its fine because its open or very close to it.

I also wanted to play with buffer and spring weights. Say a carbine and a heavy spring and see if i can feel a discernable difference in recoil or shoot ability. Kind of play around with it a bit.

Lastly I'm hoping to file for a trust and start paperwork for a suppressor later this year, so that will help with that too.

I feel reducing the gas fixes a problem, whereas using a heavier buffer or heavier springs just mask the problem. Plus a lighter buffer means less reciprocating mass reducing recoil, and makes the gun lighter. good possible benefits

Last edited:

stagpanther

I just received a satern 20" 223 Wylde barrel for converting an AR pistol to rfle so it will be interesting to compare notes. Mine's 1:7 twist so I'll be exploring some bigger bullets as long as they can feed.

stagpanther

I ran across them back in the "polygonal rifling days" when they and what was then known as Blackhole Weaponry made them. I was pretty diehard BW cause I had some barrels that shot really well, but BW exploded in popularity, and for some reason the quality went a bit sideways when they went into high volume commercial production and I stopped using them. I always wanted to try a Satern barrel but never got around to it--so this is my first go. I don't think this barrel uses the polygonal rifling but it is hand-lapped. They offer cut-rifling barrels as well.

ocharry

i put a Satern barrel on a rifle for my boy...he wanted a big log barrel and that is what he got...man that thing was heavy...i hated it..way to heavy to carry around

but that is what he wanted...i always kidded him about it coming with wheels

but i will say that thing was a shooter...my oh my it liked them 77gr sierra bullets...i think it had a 1-7 twist

but he traded it for a STI pistol...it was a nice HEAVY rifle, but he did get a really nice pistol out of it

ocharry

stagpanther

yup, mine's a 20 inch hbar profile--and yup, hbar's do tend to weigh a lot.:D Right now my rifle minus the handguard and gas block is 8.5 lbs including optic and magazine so i anticpate all-up weight will be about 9.5 lbs. That's pretty good for what will likely be 99% bench gun--but I don't mind hauling 9 lbs in the woods for a good stable hunting gun, almost all my scoped hunting bolt guns weigh in the 8 to 9 lb range fully decked out.

stagpanther

BTW Shadow9mm--since you likely will have a Wylde chamber as well and will also likely be interested in taking advantage of all the cartridge length you can get--I found that my CMMG 350 legend mags allow for a COL of about 2.329";) My very first test load should be able to get a 70 gr RDF up to pretty close to 3,000 fps.

Shadow9mm

Interesting idea. with p-mags 2.260 is about all I can get out of them. In doing a little measuring, if I remember right, I had bullet jumps of close to 0.060 with all my barrels and 5.56 chambers at max mag length. will be curious to see how much jump the new barrel has.

stagpanther

Interesting idea. with p-mags 2.260 is about all I can get out of them. In doing a little measuring, if I remember right, I had bullet jumps of close to 0.060 with all my barrels and 5.56 chambers at max mag length. will be curious to see how much jump the new barrel has.
More than likely--much more "jump" than you'll be able to get close to the leade without going to single-shot. My barrel chamber--due to longer leade--was about 2.49" before the 70 RDF started engaging the lands/rifling. That was the intent behind the Wylde (along with a slightly tighter freebore).

Shadow9mm

Just received my faxon match barrel. Got quite a few burrs on the gas port, but other than that looking good. Planning to put about 100rnds of 55g fmj through it for initial break in and zeroing. should knock those burrs down.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gas port.jpg
    gas port.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 212

stagpanther

Just received my faxon match barrel. Got quite a few burrs on the gas port, but other than that looking good. Planning to put about 100rnds of 55g fmj through it for initial break in and zeroing. should knock those burrs down.
Interesting--notice how this one is centered on the land rather than centered in the rifling as your other one was. I just don't get not taking care to drill the port out without tearing the edge and leaving irregularities--or at least polishing it, if that's indeed what the picture shows. I'd be tempted to fire-lap the barrel with some Tubbs bullets if the irregularities don't smooth out quickly. Hopefully UncleNick will happen upon this thread and might weigh in with his opinion.;)

Shadow9mm

I have tried fire lapping in the past, im extremely hesitant to try it again. Especially since this is a nitrided barrel and might lap away the nitrided layer.

I do have jb bore paste and bore bright, but similar issues there.

For now i plan to shoot 100 fmj, clean, and assess.

On a side note, ballistic advantage still had barrels on sale 30% off. Picked one up for 164.50 with free shipping. The other barrel i got from them looks great, no burrs. And they have a 1moa guarantee.

stagpanther

As is often the case--I have to eat some crow.:eek: Here is a port shot of my new Satern barrel which started off shooting so well, but mysteriously started opening up the next time I took it out. This is at the 50 shot count. I've just cleaned it to get a better picture.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo on 4-6-23 at 8.06 AM.jpg
    Photo on 4-6-23 at 8.06 AM.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 110

stagpanther

It's like calling down the fates--I say I've never seen it happen on any of my barrels--and boom! there it is. ;) I challenge any gunsmith to speculate on how that perfect symmetry on the left side of the picture was achieved; I can't see how gas cutting could do that.:confused:

stagpanther

I just pulled out my old Core 15 service rifle AR 15--chrome-lined 16" 1:7 twist that I bought the year after Core 15 opened up for business in Ocala. It has easily somewhere between 5 and 10 K shots through it, the port shows a slight tail of erosion downwind from the port but the bore and port are otherwise still in excellent shape, it remains the only OEM complete AR 15 that I have--and still shoots around 1.5 MOA--occasionally less--at 100 yds with factory ammo.

stagpanther

The gas port issue is one that has raged on through the years; most people seem to take the position that it has little effect on the consistency of shots. My experiences with barrels that I've had--some for a decade or more--does not agree with this. My personal opinion(s) are that a changing port dimension will turbulate the exhaust gas as well as increase the likelihood of inconsistent gas pressure behind the bullet. Copper being ripped from the bullet will also increase the likelihood of destabilizing the bullet even after it has left the barrel. Why are rough gas ports so prevalent? IMO, besides adding time (cost) to do it right, most manufacturers--as stated above--probably take a "out of sight, out of mind" approach to simply drilling a hole.

stagpanther

@Shadow9--try as I might; I couldn't find TMK's in .224 anywhere; but I did find at creedmoor sports American Bullet Company's 77gr "match bullet" which as far as I can tell is identical to Sierra's TMK. I also found in the back of one of my safes a 5.56 build I did a while ago and simply forgot I had it--this one is based on a Fulton Armory 20" chrome-lined service style barrel in 1:7 twist--I believe the barrel is made for them by Criterion. Gonna whip me up some single-shot loads and see how they do.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8920.jpg
    IMG_8920.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 87