Favorite machine gun

Richard SIA

I've probably shot more models of MG and SMG than most here, helps to be an SOT. ;)

SMG = STEN 9mm Mk. II
MG = AK-47 with drum
Light belt fed - RPD
Belt fed = Vickers

Not a big fan of crazy fast cyclic rates so will never own an M11-380 or micro UZI.
Gun I have seen blow up most often, M-16!

DanTSX

Richard what is the cause of the M-16 catastrophic failures?

Rounds cooking off? Premature detonation from timing or bolt hitting primer? Bad ammo?

In my day, I have seen two catastrophic failures in the M16 platform, both attributed to squib rounds.

If you shoot enough rounds.....the odds will catch up with you eventually.

PA32Mark

For an MG: M16..... Fun and easy to shoot, and the ammo won't break the bank. (If someone else was paying for the ammo, then, like others, probably the M2 .50) For an SMG, probably a Thompson .45, for nostalgia and fun. For serious work, if limited to a pistol caliber weapon (SMG) I'd pick a suppressed 9mm MP5SD.

SPEMack618

I got to shoot a legit full auto FN-FAL at the Benning School for Boys.

That was neat.

As far as belt feds go, sticking with the FN theme, the -240B has to be my favorite.

PA32Mark

Here's an MG that I forgot to mention earlier, don't think anyone else has mentioned it in this thread. A few years ago, at a police range, I had the chance to shoot an original Armalite AR18. Very nice shooting gun, and for those lucky enough to live in an NFA ok state - and with the bucks to buy one - I think it'd be a great gun to have. I believe it is a C&R gun now also; only down side might be parts getting a bit hard to find(?)

stephen426

Only full autos I have had the opportunity to shoot were the HK MP5 and a Tommy Gun. The MP5 is an amazing piece of machinery while the Tommy Gun has a lot of history. I have 2 AR-15s, but have not had the opportunity to shoot an M-16 full auto. Full auto is fun as long as someone else is footing the ammo bill!

If I could have any machine gun, it would be the Dillon Mini Gun! That would really help with the crazy Miami traffic! LOL

For true machine guns:
Assuming I don't have to buy the ammo:
If I'm not going to need to move it the M2.
If I am going to need to move it the 249.

I guess they don't make a true MG in 22lr so I don't like any of them if I buy the ammo.

For any full auto:
M16. Able to shoot 22lr, 9mm, 223 easily and many other cartridges with just a little more work/expense.

The Mexican police/security have a SMG called the Mendoza HM-3. Extremely simple, appearing almost like an updated sten. They even have one that fires from a closed bolt. Looked quite light and handy. I was impesssed with those I saw. Never handled one and they can't be exported/imported. Convert the closed bolt to semi, glock magwell and I think you'd have a winner.