Favorite machine gun

Tucker 1371

So many good ones, and so many I haven't shot yet. I'm most accurate with the SAW, but the Mk19 40mm grenade machinegun probably puts the biggest smile on my face.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be a big fan of the M60 if I ever get to shoot one.

Ya know....I think the M60 was....."O.K.". Maybe shooting a bunch of action-fouling blanks help give me and my generation a less than generous appraisal.

Last edited:

Brit

Fired a Bren Gun, and Sten in the Brit Army. Owned a Sten, and Sterling in Canada, stolen prior to my move to Florida. Fired an MG42 in Ontario!

4 and 5 round busts with the Sterling, awesome, across a room distance, very accurate, considering the huge bolt. Easy to shoot.

brmfan

Not technically...

a 'machine gun' but does anyone remember the old carnival game with the air compressor BB guns that looked sort of like a Thompson and fired like 4,000 BBs a second?? THOSE were awesome!!
I've fired a real Thomson SMG + the M60, M243, M16A2, M2, & MP5 but that old BB spewer was fantastic! :)

AK103K

As a kid, I spent enough on those BB machine guns at the carnivals, I could have bought a real one. :)

And even with the crudest and crappiest "real" one, I would have at least stood a chance of shooting out that star! :D

As a side note here, back in the late 70's, I did have a BB machine gun I got out of SGN, that ran on the Freon "recharge" cans. Kind of junky and Star Wars looking, but lots of fun. :)

rickyrick

I seen an air soft gun in development for law enforcement. I don't remember the rate of fire.. But was pretty much a solid stream of air soft BBs. It could get through a windshield.

I want to add that to the list

Something water cooled in .303 Brit would be fun as well.
Can't remember names of things so much anymore.

44 AMP

Staff
Shot the MG1 (MG42 in 7.62NATO, first version) in the 70s, with the Bundeswehr. Their MG course is TOUGH. They had a "running man" target that did a good job of mimicking a running man. They gave you a 75rnd belt, and you had to get 50 hits to qualify!

Yes, I did, barely. That was a fun afternoon!

603Country

I've read that the MG42 and its variants are still considered by some to be the best light MG ever made. I'd love to shoot one.

44 AMP

Staff
At 25.5lbs the MG42 was "light" in comparison to other MGs of the day, but the Germans considered it (and the MG 34) to be GPMGs, not LMGs.

A LMG on the bipod and a Medium MG on the tripod. Since it did both, it was (perhaps the first) a General Purpose MG.

The 42 is a fast gun. Like 20rnds per second fast. Lots of fun, but takes some practice to learn to use well, without running out of ammo too soon!

SC4006

I don't have experience with a terribly big variety of MGs, but I'd say my favorite would be the M2. I like it because well... I like big loud guns. Next would be the M240, that machinegun is darned near unstoppable as well. I've shot a saw once but have never been a saw gunner, I'm not really a fan of it anyways.

Ruger480

I carried the SAW in the when I was in the Army. I carried it on 20 and 30 mile road marches. I got a 2 points warning on here for evading the language filters a few weeks ago so I'll just say that I don't care for that particular weapon and leave it at that.

Now, the 240 Bravo. That's a weapon. I specifically remember the taste of copper in my mouth after days at the range with it. Not sure why that was.

The M2 was pretty cool but I didn't get to shoot it much.

But my favorite was probably the MK19. I like the sound of it firing, it's rate of fire and the noise it makes down range.

9x19

From a fellow vet. Given the time of year, just wanted to say thanks to all of the other vets on here.

My family and I truly enjoy our freedoms and we know who keeps those secure.

Happy 4th to all... shoot a few rounds for me... my semi's will do the same. :D

SC4006

I carried the SAW in the when I was in the Army. I carried it on 20 and 30 mile road marches. I got a 2 points warning on here for evading the language filters a few weeks ago so I'll just say that I don't care for that particular weapon and leave it at that.

I feel your pain with the road marches. I am also not fond of the M249 at all. I have never been assigned a saw, but I still see what happens to them. Some of the worst malfunctions I've ever seen to any weapon ever were from the saw.

rickyrick

I remember the m60 jamming alot...

I don't remember why, they were cleared easily.
I won a brigade M60 competition and was awarded an arcom for it.
But, as the years pass I don't even remember how to field strip it. Funny thing the mind is.
Same thing with the M2... Except was awarded AAM for proficiency with it. Small awards, yes, but those were the most fun getting.

Brit

One thing I remember about the Bren .303 LMG, no recoil, it wanted to walk forward!

Never had a stoppage, all you had to do, watch how you loaded the magazine (my time! rimmed cartridges) The 7.62X51 no trouble.

One of my Uncles was in WW11, he loved his big heavy Bren. He said pill boxes in France, short bursts through the weapon slots! Caused them to go silent. He came back minus his right arm. The artificial one carried some steam, according to my Cousins.

DanTSX

I like the Uzi for an SMG. It's just an iconic and solid gun despite it's dated ergos, etc. Not the smoothest shooter, but not exactly rowdy either. Reliable too!

Not enough experience with belt Feds to judge a "favorite" LMG or heavy, but I really like the craftsmanship and steampunk looks of a lot of the WWI and interwar era LMG's that came out of Japan, France , Italy and the likes.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
If you think the ergos on an Uzi are dated, go handle a Tommygun!;)

My favorite for sheer "wonkiness" is the Japanese version of the Hotchkiss.

Without looking them up, I can't keep the "type /model #" straight, but if there was ever a poster child for "why??????" that's got to be it.

Metal (brass I think) feed strips, 30rnds in a row, and IIRC, the gun put the empties back into the feed strip after firing.

Japanese LMG development was...chaotic is one of the nicer terms. Dunderheaded comes to mind, though...

Guns (and cartridges) were developed by the Army, the Navy, and for aircraft use, with little or no commonality or interservice sharing of ideas or tech.

Semi rimmed and rimless cases, oiled ammo, hopper feed using the 5rnd stripper clips from the Arisaka rifle, and other ideas that looked good to the designers but didn't do so well in the field.

And something I've only seen on a Japanese LMG, a bayonet! A cultural thing, I believe...