FAL vs. AR10...convince me.

RikWriter

Hmmm...I have a Belgian FAL and an AR10 carbine, so really I am partial to both guns.
The AR10 is more ergonomic, more accurate, and easier to scope.
The FAL is more reliable, simpler and the mags are cheaper.
If I had to choose just one to keep and I wasn't considering collectability (which would be a factor for me since mine is a Belgian preban but would not in your case since you're talking about buying a DSA postban) I guess I would choose the AR10, since I already have quite a few hicap mags for it.

fix

It's not that big of a deal. I just don't like sacrificing any accuracy potential for superfluous add ons like carry handles.

Kaylee

FAL.

That way you won't be butchering our already too-scarce supply of M14 mags like the AR-10 guys. :p

-K

fix

Believe me Kaylee, after forking out the cash for that thing I could only afford to butcher 6 of them. No risk in me thinning the supply any further. My dad might get the rifle, but if I get another AR10, he'll have to find his own mags. You can take that up with him.:D

RikWriter

Hey, if the M1A-lovers don't buy up mags while they can, it ain't MY problem! (Besides, you can switch them back easily...just have to get a new follower.)

Kaylee

(Besides, you can switch them back easily...just have to get a new follower.)

And replace the locking block y'all cut off.
And there ain't no filling in the hole in the mag body that gets cut out for your mag catch.

and we're workin' on buyin' 'em up, kay?
Hrmm.. maybe we can get the Sierra Club and Greenpeace in on this.. Preserve America's natural beauty! Save the M14 mags! No drilling in the the preser..um.... mag body!

;)

-K

kotengu

Sorry I've been away - yes, that's a 26" barrel on the gun in the pic. Mine's still in the works but will look very similar but have only a 24" barrel and not have the front sight turned down (using it in highpower matches). Everything (match-grade, hand turned HB, free floating HG, match rear sight, trigger job, custom brake, and refinish) is running me just about a grand (I think MORE than fair for the work this guy's doing). I don't know what the carbine runs, but I'm pretty sure it'd be a good deal less than that.

(edit) I forgot to add that I picked up a PSG style grip that I'll use instead of the G3 from Volunteer Ordnance Works - that thing feels like it was MADE to fit my hand and the shelf is a nice little bonus!

Like I said above, I sent him an STG that I built awhile ago to be modified, but you could just as easily send a cheap-o Century gun for him to work on and save yourself some cash.

Anyway - not your run-of-the-mill FAL but I think it's a more fair comparison to all of the similar features of the AR-10. I get tired of people complaining that their rack-grade (or less) gun of whatever manufacture won't outshoot their friend's match-grade AR or M1A or whatever - OF COURSE IT DOESN'T!!!!!!!!! Let's compare apples to apples as much as we can.....

Hawaii

I have owned both. After buying the AR10 (TCN), I sold my FAL's. Best choice I ever made. Last weekend at the range my best group of five rounds was .39 and my worst was .97. My AR10 feeds everything surplus or reload.

Hawaii

:D

craigz

I just took delivery of my new DS Arms SA58 Medium Contour today and took it right out to the range. My vision is not terrific and I'm not that great with iron sights. At least I thought I wasn't, but I was hitting an 8" bull at 200 yards with no problem today. I love this gun. Oh, and it's also a whole lot easier to clean than an AR.

fix

Hawaii, that has a lot to do with my apprehension regarding the DSA guns. I just can't bring myself to spend roughly the same money I would on an AR10 or an M1A and lose all semblance of accuracy while only gaining a minimal amount of reliability. Maybe it would help if I could get my AR10 to malfunction just once, but so far...it hasn't happened. I'm now thinking about getting a cheapo FAL for the fun factor and backing it up with an M1A scout for more serious duty. I have an Armalite M15A2 that I bought 3 months ago (and haven't even fired yet) to cure my AR urges. I've decided against the DSA STG58 as I've heard mixed reports regarding their barrels. The SA58 line just seems way to overpriced.

Now for a topic change...

What's the best FAL for under $700. My criteria are simple.

1) Must go bang EVERY time. (pretty much a given)
2) Must at least group 3 shots in 4" at 100 yds.
3) Must be metric.

kotengu

Depends on how much work you're willing to do. If you want it finished, right out of the box and you do nothing but feed it, go with the DSA STG or M-444 from Dan's Sporting Goods Dan's Webpage .

If you don't mind doing some work and possibly changing some parts you can get a Century built gun from many different places for $4-500 and still have money left over. Use that money to fix whatever is wrong with the gun and you'll have a great shooter for well under your price tag. Search for "Century" or "CAI" on the 'smithing part of the FAL Files and you'll find tons of info. on how to fix any problems you might have.

Third option is to buy a kit, receiver, and requisite US parts and build it yourself. My first I built for right around $700 (including tools and stuff) and for me that's the way to go. You get every part exactly how you want it, know the gun inside and out by the time you're finished, and have the pride of saying "I built that." The only downside to this one is once you've built one there are surely more to come (I swore I'd only do one, but have just finished number five!!!).

Hope that helps -

Matt

fix

That M-444 looks like it might be the ticket. Anybody have one of the IAI assembled guns they want to provide comment on?

kotengu

I have heard almost ALL good reports about the M-444. The originals had a muzzle brake that ended up being a "recoil accelerator" but that has been changed for some time now. The new model brake is supposed to be one of the best. The very few problems I have heard about were quickly taken care of by Dan. If you order one, get it from him - I've done business with him several times and he's very reliable and quick to ship. (disclaimer - I'm not employed by nor any affiliate of Dan's - I'm just a happy customer and think proper credit should be given).

If you have the worst luck in town and happen to get a bad one, contact Dan right away and he'll make it right.

Mike Kilo Niner

Best FAL for under $700? A DSA, assuming you can come up with another $200! :D Seriously, save yourself the headache of dealing with a Century slap-together, and get the DSA StG58. Unless you're looking for a project -- some people get lucky, but many need some work.

As to the carbine/full-length issue: I had been planning to get one with an 18in barrel (the length oft quoted as being necessary for full powder burn in .308 Win), went in to my friendly local gun shop to place an order and walked right back out with a 16 in carbine. It points so quickly and easily! Having heard of the massive fireballs one can expect from such a shorty, I was pleasantly surprised by the tameness of the report/flash with surplus ammo. It likes the Port best for accuracy -- one ragged hole at 25m off the bipod, prone. Radway Green wasn't especially accurate, but was equally reliable.

Two other key considerations that sold me on the FAL: cheap, durable magazines and ease of maintenance. Cleaning your AR thoroughly takes what, 30-45 minutes and creates a large pile of small parts, no? Cleaning my FAL took 10 minutes, make a small pile of large parts and was no hassle at all.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to go with.

Hawaii

Go with the quality! I have learned from my mistakes, now I will not own a rifle that is not accurate. If you want an FAL, buy a quality one that can give you MOA at a 100 yards. If you can’t find one, save and buy a AR10.

Hawaii
:p

fix

Well, here's what I've decided on. Dad gets my AR10A4 Carbine for his birthday, after refinishing in Realtree. I'm going to buy an M1A Scout for my primary rifle sometime in July and replace a few cast parts with USGI parts from Fulton Armory. I'm a firm believer in being able to get things done with one weapon, whatever those "things" may be. I think the M1A is a better choice for that. I'll be keeping my Armalite M15A2 to cure my AR urges when I can't get my hands on Dad's new rifle. :D I will also be purchasing one of the IAI assembled M-444 rifles in 6 months or so, probably from Dan. Based on what I've read, heard, and seen, it looks like the best choice for someone new to the FAL who wants a reasonably accurate, quality rifle but doesn't want to make a huge ($$$) commitment right away. Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Futo Inu

What about

the difference in the way the mags snap into place? I'm assuming the AR10 mags just slide straight in and click like AR15s. This may be an advantage over the FAL if the SHTF.