Exciting New Handguns - Those Days Are Over???

Fishbed77

Did the world embrace the following?:

Browning BDM
Forty-Nine
FNP
FNX
FNS
New “High Power”

I think you have your answer.

FN just can’t seem to successfully follow up the Hi-Power, no matter how hard they try.

And yeah - I’m preemptively calling the new “High Power” a failure based on its specs and price. Not sure who the market is even supposed to be for this thing.

chadio

Friend of mine had an FNP. It was among the most pleasant semi - auto pistols that I have ever fired. Myself or my friend would not hesitate to recommend the FNP / FNX to those who like a hammer - fired pistol.

I know, yesterday's news... ;)

dogtown tom

Fishbed77

Did the world embrace the following?:

Browning BDM
Forty-Nine
FNP
FNX
FNS
New “High Power”

I think you have your answer.

FN just can’t seem to successfully follow up the Hi-Power, no matter how hard they try.

And yeah - I’m preemptively calling the new “High Power” a failure based on its specs and price. Not sure who the market is even supposed to be for this thing.
The problem with FN is FN, not their firearms. The company has for decades been an absolute failure at marketing to the civilian world.
Their Browning and Winchester subsidiaries do just fine, but give the same gun to FN and it dies. They couldn't sell ice water in hell.

For examples look at every one of those FN pistols above and note how many made it to the belts of US law enforcement. Remember when FNUSA tried selling their FN marked Hi Powers twenty years ago? I do. It was such a miserable failure that they sold thousands to CDNN to liquidate at firesale prices.....I bought several for around $400 NIB. The same HP from Browning was retailing for $699.

FN has a great history of military sales, but for some reason can't grasp the civilian market.

tex45acp

One of the coolest guns to ever be invented, in my opinion, especially due to the caliber is the Automag in 44mag. Don't get me wrong, the Desert Eagle is a hell of a gun, but the Automag is a real looker. I've been lucky enough to shoot them both and due to its size absorbs the recoil better than the Automag but I really like the 1911ish grip of the Automag.

brian33x51

It seems to me that out of the box reliability of new pistols has definitely improved and prices are reasonable, not crazy. Much of the innovation comes from manufacturing technology and refinement of the pistol platform as we know it. The micro 9s are great example of this.

Alan0354

It seems to me that out of the box reliability of new pistols has definitely improved and prices are reasonable, not crazy. Much of the innovation comes from manufacturing technology and refinement of the pistol platform as we know it. The micro 9s are great example of this.
I hope the new design like Glock is more reliable than the older ones from the 80s. NONE of my semi auto handgun except the Ruger Mark II and the Beretta 950BS are reliable. I had to do a lot of work to make them reliable. Guns include Colt Gold Cup, S&W 659 and Walther PPKS.

I did my own gun smithing, I had to reshape the extractor, polish the feed ramp and work on the ejector to make them reliable. One of the problem with the old designs is the ejector port is so small. You really have to work on the extractor and ejector to make the shell coming out within a small acceptable angle, or else, it will jam.

The worst one is the Gold Cup which is the most expensive. You won't believe how rough the inside of the gun is. But it is very accurate.

I bought a Glock 26, seems to be better, I have not fired it yet.

Last edited:

pbcaster45

44 AMP,

Talk about old gun designs! My 44 Auto Mag finally arrived! Very reliable and accurate when I figured out the right amount of W296 to use with the Hornady 240 grain XTP-HP.

DBCF0-B4-A-7379-4-AB8-A5-EC-1-D0299-B3-F557.jpg