Ever bought a handgun just because you had a lot of ammo in that caliber?

DannyB1954

I am still in the planning stages for that. I started reloading and collecting brass at a local desert BLM shooting spot. I am getting a lot of 45 casings, and I don't have one of those yet, so I was thinking .....

Billy Shears

I'm right there with Sharpsdressed. Had several thousand rounds of .380 and nothing to shoot them with so I bought a Beretta 1934 and have had an awful lot of fun.

Grant D

Jim243....

I did the same! bought this just for fun to play with, and it's a lot of fun!
I have a lot of 9mm. rounds

Attachments

• carbine.JPG
    carbine.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 34

Jay24bal

No, but I have done pretty much the direct opposite (just last week actually).

I am a handloader, and I love it (maybe even more than the actual shooting of the rounds). I have not added a new caliber in over a year, and was getting the itch to work up some new loads. I ordered a new rifle in 308 Win as I do not have one at the moment. The thrill of chasing the smallest group possible is my driving force to shooting rifles.

p.s. - I know it is a rifle and this is a handgun thread, but it is certainly an unusual reason to buy a new gun!

SHE3PDOG

My wife bought her Sig P229 in .40 S&W for this very reason. I already had lots of ammo for it because my HD gun was chambered in it. I've been known to buy guns for the exact opposite reason as well though. I figure the more calibers I have, the more likely I am to be able to find ammo for something in my collection. At least, that's my excuse for getting new toys. :D

Last edited:

BigJimP

No, can't say I've ever done that....

I do reload ....for all the center fire handgun calibers I own ( 9mm, .40S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag....)....and while guns do get bought in those calibers...anything rarely leaves...

and I'm not going to add anything beyond those calibers...

Jimbo-Indy

I did that too.
Sold a gun when I was out of work and needed money, then found I didn't have anything to use up the 1000 round of 357 Mag I had on the shelf. Bought a nice S&W 19-3 but later felt bad about pushing a lot of max pressure hand-loads through it. Sooo, bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 to handle the big boom stuff. Guess that's 2 guns just becuse of having ammo with nothing to shoot it with.

OkieCruffler

I had a 218 bee Contender barrel built because I bought a big bag of brass on the cheap. Fighting the urge to buy a 9mm right now because I have 500+ rds loaded.

Auto5

I've got some bulk .22lr that my walther p22 is kind of finicky with. Obviously, the only way to safely dispose of it would be to buy this ruger bearcat. (Did that sound convincing?)

FairWarning

Not after the fact, but I have bought a gun with the intention of buying a second gun in that caliber and then a big stockpile to feed both of them. :D

The ever faithful .308 and 9mm are specific examples.

PT-92

I am not wealthy so I have from day one (30yrs now) based my entire modest collection around just several different calibers. For example, I would love to go out and buy a new RIA 1911 TCM 22 but I do not want to start stockpiling another caliber (though I think they do sell a 9mm conversion kit so...;) ). Of course, my "stockpile" might look like a molehill compared to others so it's all relative...

lee n. field

Ever bought a handgun just because you had a lot of ammo in that caliber?

In a sense.

I traded away a .40 CZ-100. I still had a bunch of .40 S&M, and a couple thousand brass .40 casings. So, what I replaced it with was the much superior Springfield XD, in the same chambering.

Axelwik

I've been doing some consolidation lately. Recently eliminated three calibers from my lineup and replaced those guns with calibers I already have. Makes my reloading, casting, and shooting a lot simpler.

HawkeyeNRAlifer

Not really. I tend to buy guns in calibers that I reload, which is just about all the popular ones. Although I have dies and brass for the 25acp, I'm not buying another one. And the .40, I've brass, but no plans for pistol.

skizzums

i have one 357 revolver and since i reload 1k at a time, i have about 2k worth of ammo, but hey, i love to reload
so i know it would take me a lifetime to put this through the taurus poly, i am seriously considering looking for a levergun

tcanthonyii

Well I didn't have ammo lying around but I did have brass and a new reloader so I bought my XD45c. I had an XD45 but sold it because I wanted a compact. That was 2 years prior to me getting the reloader.

RodTheWrench

You'll love what the 357 can do from a good lever gun, skizzums! I just wish the Winchester model 94 Trapper wasn't so hard to find at a decent price these days.

skizzums

yeah, im pretty limited on funds for firearms right now, wife and i vowed to get a decent buffer put n savings before anymore large purchases

BUT, we did make a deal that each could blow a grand if either quit smoking, so there could be hope

whats the cheapest 357/38 levergun out there? puma? is there anything for under 600$