Ever bought a handgun just because you had a lot of ammo in that caliber?

RodTheWrench

There's dumber reasons I'm sure to buy a new gun, but I just counted many, many 45ACP rounds in my stockpile and only a Ruger SR1911 to show for it.

SO, have you ever done what my addled brain is thinking of doing? If so, what did you end up with and were you satisfied with the result?

Rod

JERRYS.

yes. I had a NAA .22mag which I sold to a co-worker, gave him all the ammo I thought I had for it.

about a year later I found a box of .22mag in my closet. got to thinking... asked my co-worker if he wanted to sell the NAA back to me, he did.

Jim243

That's funny, I did just that last Jan. 2013.

Sold off all my 40 S&W guns, I did not like the way the cartridge shot. And I was sitting with over 750 rounds of 40 S&W (I reload). So when the opportunity came up to buy a Hi-Point 4095TS, I said what the hey why not.

Not exactly a handgun but at least a handgun caliber carbine.

I tried it and really, really loved it.

Jim

fiream29

Finding you're in possession of a box of ammo with nothing to shoot it in is more than enough reason for me:).

keithdog

Never have as I never have that much extra ammo hanging around. Right now, I only have 2 boxes of my self defense load. Heck, finding target loads around here is like looking for an alligator in a Minnesota swamp. :p

Ozzieman

No, but I have purchased ammo so that I had to buy a gun to shoot it. 7.62X54R.
90% of the guns that I own or have owed it’s always been a gun that I wanted and researched. Then got it.

44 AMP

Staff
No, but I did come close, sort of...

Some time back I got several hundred cases and dies (and about half a box of bullets) for the 7.62x25mm. (yard sale, $15, friend bought them thinking I could use them...it was "gun stuff";))

ALMOST bought a pistol for them...almost...
However, reason prevailed, and rather then buying a pistol for them at the next gun show, I wound up trading them off for something more useful to me.
(a good quantity of new .22 Hornet brass)

I also almost bought a Mauser HSc once, so I could have different grips and a spare mag for the one I have. Again, in the nick of time, reason prevailed over blind desire...dang it!:D

RodTheWrench

So I guess I'm not completely nuts...so what should I get in that caliber? Are there any good carbines out there besides a Thompson?

Kind of. My wife has a Colt Mustang that she rarely shoots, and I had been picking up a lot of discarded .380 brass at the range. Since I reload for her, and had WAY too much brass, I decided that getting a "shooter" .380 for myself was logical. I really didn't intend for it to be CCW, it COULD be used for that, or loaned out, if a friend needed a gun. I bought a nice post -WWII commercial Beretta 1934, simply because I think they are quality, durable guns that have their own "charisma". Clean, good looks, all steel, and proven reliability and durability. It makes a great range shooter, and allows me to shoot .380 as cheaply as I want to go. Haven't started casting bullets for it yet, but I might. ...............................
DSC06296.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Safestuffer

a buddy of mine called me up about a year ago and told me that a friend of his had a bunch of 9mm ammo for sale for stupid cheap.
I hightailed it over and found out that the guy was selling 9mm makarov ammo.
Darn. :mad:
All 1700 rounds he had left for $100....then he said he would trade for a couple of things I had lying around that I had no use for
:)

Sooo...
I bought a cz-82 and a p64.

madmo44mag

More than one - LOL!!!!
I shoot with a group and being the only reloader for the most part I collect a lot of brass.
Based on what I have an excess of right now I see a 308 on the horizon.
It just another excuse to buy or build another gun.:rolleyes:

Cheapshooter

Well, kinda' sorta, maybe. But It also led to a circle.
One of my early C&R purchases was a like new CZ52. I found several sources for 7.62X25 surplus ammo back them so I bought a bunch. Followed by a bunch more as I saw It become available, and reasonably cheap.
I wanted a Tokarev since I first saw them, so with loads of ammo on hand, when the Romanian TT's became C&R approved I had to have one. Then the Polish, then finally the Yugo M57. So now I have 4 caliber 7.62X25 pistols to feed!

aarondhgraham

Not really, but I have used that excuse,,,

Not really, but I have used that excuse. :eek:

I got a good deal on a Charter Arms bulldog,,,
My excuse for signing the credit card slip was,,,
Those 200 rounds of .44 Special I had in a closet.

CharterArmsBulldog.jpg

I have a friend who once bought a S&W Model 10,,,
Just because he had a pair of antique carved ivory grips made for K-frame.

Aarond

Last edited: