Email from Cabelas New Colt revolver now on sale $799 .

KyJim

Yeah, the lightweight J-frames are tough to shoot accurately. The weight and terrible trigger make it tough. Will I buy a new Cobra? Maybe. I need to check one out personally. In the meantime, when I carry a revolver, it's my Colt Agent which has a trigger much better than any J-frame I've shot. I shoot soft loads with it at the range but put +P Gold Dots in it for carry. That's not ideal which is why I would consider the new Cobra.

As to why the name "Cobra" instead of "Detective Special" --- marketing. A Cobra sounds "sexier" than a Detective Special.

FrankenMauser

I don't think I could do it, even if the price was half of MSRP.

Basic business approach:
1. Design new revolver.
2. Have custom shop fine-tune new revolver.
3. Manufacture and ship thousands of new revolver.
4. Fire all people involved in development, fine-tuning, and manufacture of new revolver.
5. Try to profit, short-term, for stupid business decision.
6. Give investors an obfuscated picture of the situation, run away with pockets full of cash, and hope no one catches on while the company burns.........

RUT

>>I'm glad to see Colt getting back into the revolver market<<

For Colt it's "too little too late."

dgludwig

As to why the name "Cobra" instead of "Detective Special" --- marketing. A Cobra sounds "sexier" than a Detective Special.

That may well be true (people love their reptiles) but for those of us who knew them when they were new, the steel-framed snub-nosed revolver from Colt was a Detective Special and the alloy-framed ones were Cobras (or Agents).

snubbyfan

KyJim "Yeah, the lightweight J-frames are tough to shoot accurately"

Depends on the distance. After a couple of hundred rounds thru the gun I found I can, up to 10 yards, hit an 8" by 10" target consistently. That's what the gun was designed for...close encounters.
Take a look at what a pro (Hickok45) can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgl8VuX0LuY

After a couple of hundred rounds thru the gun I found I can, up to 10 yards, hit an 8" by 10" target consistently. That's what the gun was designed for...close encounters.
How fast are you shooting?

And by the way, ten yards would not really define a "close encounter". Think ten feet, or thereabouts.

And think running attacker. It is difficult to put multiple rounds into the upper chest consistently when the attacker is moving at fifteen feet per second.

Model12Win

$800 for the Cobra...no thanks.
I paid less than half the price for a lighter, just as concealable Smith 638

I understand some don't want (or can't) play to play, but in no way shape or form is a S&W 638 comparable to this new pony gun. The S&W guns are quality, but that does not a snake make. This new Cobra has a far better trigger pull and with the additional round on board, it's a no brainer. Add in the vastly improved factory sights and the choice becomes even more clear for the serious wheelgunner. And as far as resale and collector's value goes, the rampant pony will always be worth more. Just my $0.02.

snubbyfan

@Model12 Win
I understand & appreciate what you said ...I just don't believe the Colt is worth 2x the price, or to put it another way, it's not twice as good imo...
particularly since it has an exposed hammer & is 10 ounces heavier,
which is a drawback for me in cc..

Last edited:

Radny97

It will be a crying shame if this newly designed gun never really makes it to market because Colt can't get its act together. I dry fired the gun at SHOT show and the trigger was amazing. The benefit of the v-spring design was obvious. If colt can't bring that design to market I hope the design doesn't languish in some patent office. This design deserves to be on the market.

Lohman446

I understand some don't want (or can't) play to play, but in no way shape or form is a S&W 638 comparable to this new pony gun. The S&W guns are quality, but that does not a snake make. This new Cobra has a far better trigger pull and with the additional round on board, it's a no brainer. Add in the vastly improved factory sights and the choice becomes even more clear for the serious wheelgunner. And as far as resale and collector's value goes, the rampant pony will always be worth more. Just my $0.02.

Do you have any range time on an over the counter specimen? I'm not thinking like some SHOT show demo that has probably been carefully selected by Colt as a prime example. A real, the same gun any of us would walk in and buy, specimen to base that comparison on?

rock185

I wish Colt every success with their new revolver. If they're hoping to put a dent in today's CCW market though, perhaps a lightweight frame would have been the way to go. It may be that my concern as to weight will change if I'm ever able to actually handle one of these revolvers, but I kinda doubt it. I went from a S&W 640 to the lighter 642 Airweight myself just to save a few ounces. With so many very light semi-autos and revolvers now commonly available, I'd hesitate to to assess Colt's likelihood of success in this market. I would think a substantial number might sell, regardless any positive or negative attributes of the revolver itself, because it is, labeled at least, ~COLT~. But for the vast majority of the CCW market that are not particularly Snake this or that fans, I don't know that a relatively heavy and expensive CCW revolver would be a big hit. I guess I've never been obsessed over 6-shots vs. 5-shots in a CCW type revolver or I'd have already been carrying a Colt. Just as I am not obsessed with having an 8-round or 10-round magazine in my 45 ACP 1911 types. The 7 rounders always had the, very desirable IMHO, characteristic of always working;)

dgludwig

I guess I've never been obsessed over 6-shots vs. 5-shots in a CCW type revolver or I'd have already been carrying a Colt.

I now carry either a Colt Cobra or a Smith Model 12. I plan on getting a Ruger LCR chambered in .327 Federal Magnum. I'm "obsessed". :)