Email from Cabelas New Colt revolver now on sale $799 .

Bushmaster1313

Cobra_450w.png

kozak6

I'm glad to see Colt getting back into the revolver market.

It's a little pricy, but I'd imagine the price will drop as availability increases.

Colt needs to just stick with their 1911's and rifles...

Isn't that what got Colt into trouble in the first place?

CajunBass

Cabela's is not generally thought of as a discount store. I think I'll wait and see where the price shakes out.

I got no real desire for one. I just don't care for this type gun, but I'm glad to see Colt back in the revolver business. I'm glad to see anyone in the revolver business. That tells me they have enough confidence in the "civilian" (for lack of a better word) market to design, produce and market a new offering. They can't be expecting to get a big military or police order, so it's people like you and me they're looking to.

I wish them well. I hope they sell them like McDonald's sells Big Macs.

ThomasT

I think it was the poster here name DPris who started a thread on the new Colt revolvers and nobody could wait to get one. And now just about everyone is calling them too expensive and not worth the money even though Cabelas is selling them at scalper prices. I wouldn't buy one for that price either. The Colt guns have just never caught my fancy anyway. But I am all for an old line gun company joining the fray and offering another option for the CC bunch.

I have to agree with the poster that said they would just as soon have an SP-101 for less money. Makes sense to me. Five rounds of 357 loads should be as good as 6 rounds of 38 special. Even using the more controllable mid range 357 loads.

But I think it would be best to wait and see what they really sell for from someone like Buds gun Shop or other reputable dealer. When it comes to buying or looking at a new gun Cabelas is never a consideration for me. Just too expensive.

ThomasT

For self defense, five rounds is not as good as six rounds if the cartilage is adeuatate.

How do you know? Have you ever shot anyone with 5 rounds and wished you had 6?

And what does "cartilage" have to do with it. adeuatate?:confused::D

I hope you know I am just teasing you. Google is your friend. I use it on almost every post I make to check spelling.:)

Last edited:
How do you know? Have you ever shot anyone with 5 rounds and wished you had 6?

Study this, and understand the thought process behind it.

Then if you do not like the assumptions that John used (or even if you do, it you would like to assess the sensitivity to the assumption), use some others, and compute the cumulative probabilities.

One thing that John's calculations do not take into account is how many rounds you might like to have remaining after you have stopped the one or two known attackers.

Another is the very real possibility that you may, in the heat of a close range ambush by a rushing assailant, shoot more rounds than may have actually been necessary--it is doubtful that you will want to stop and assess after each shot.

Thinking about this at some length soured me on the idea of a five shot firearm for primary carry. Six is better, seven is better still. I choose eight.

BigJimP

They are probably priced about right....but it's not a gun I want.

I would be interested in at least dry firing one ....and comparing them to my K frame model 66's in 2" ....and my N frame model 627 in 2 5/8"...../ I'm not a colt fan in general, but I hope they're putting out a decent product.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Just as an FYI:

I'm out of further discussions about the new Cobra, I fired Colt three weeks ago.
Cancelled my request for a T&E sample, will not be getting one.

In general commentary, Colt has laid off an unknown number of employees, including the long-time head of their Custom Shop, Brent Turchi, who has been one of their greatest assets.

Brent has tirelessly helped in getting problem guns resolved on at least two forums, even though it was entirely voluntary & never a part of his job.

The Custom Shop is not taking new work, unknown what the future of that Shop will be.

Unknown how much, or if, the layoffs will affect the new Cobra availability.
Denis

Siggy-06

DPris, that sucks to hear, especially about the custom shop guys. Colt is gonna be hurting after the layoffs.

shootbrownelk

Siggy, what really hurt Colt was depending on that lucrative Government contract that they lost. I have one Colt, a 6" Diamondback in .22 LR. It's a great revolver. I haven't handled one of the new Cobras yet. And as far as Colt selling them....Cabelas is already "Sold out" and at $100.00 over retail.

ThomasT

OldMarksman thanks for posting the link. I read it the day it was posted. You can imagine all the scenarios you want and it may still be hard to get the bad guys to go along and play their part in an attack as you imagine it to happen. I am fine with 5 rounds and work much harder just to avoid a situation where I would ever need one round.

If you feel more secure with 6+ shots then by all means carry what ever works best for YOU.

They even have an QR Code on it.

looks like an Taurus.

I mean common.
Prices for guns are to high. Colt may produce a revolver for 350 USD and sell it for consumer final price for 500 $ easily. No need for a 1000 $ pricetag for an Colt SAA 1873 model.
If Pietta (Heritage Rough Rider big bore 357 mag are supposed to be made by Pietta and imported by Heritage) can make them for 400 $ consumer endprice then Colt can do it as well (same material, same gun, same manufacturer processes).

Money greediness and unreal Name based price tags bump up prices.

ThomasT

You know those that bought the guns from Cabelas and paid more than retail can probably turn around right now and sell those guns for a profit. Especially if what DPris is hinting at comes to pass.

Maybe S&W will look at this and decide they could make a 6 shot 38 with a frame size between the J and K frames and sell the snot out of them. Especially if they kept the same construction model as used on the 5 shot 442-642 guns. And left off that stupid lock. If they could keep the price at or less than an SP 101 and the weight down to around 20 ounces I bet they couldn't build enough of them for the demand.

I am fine with 5 rounds and work much harder just to avoid a situation where I would ever need one round.
That brings up an interesting point.

Before I put my 642 into full retirement from primary carry, I still took it with me on occasions when thought my destinations benign, with a lower expectation of needing to use it. On other occasions, my M&P 9C went along.

BUT: I soon realized that the likelihood of needing it should not influence the decision of what to carry. Should the occasion arise, the need is the same regardless.

If you feel more secure with 6+ shots then by all means carry what ever works best for YOU.
I will have no way of knowing what will work for me unless and until I have to use it.