El Baradei: Iran only months away from a bomb

Gary H

I hope im still vertical if/when there used to be a middle east!

Noting your use of past tense; are you saying that there aren't any good people in that region, or do you mean that you hope that things change for the better and we all get along?

Marky

im saying that

What im saying is how many more thousands of years is it going to take for ''a people'' to wake up and realize that we are in the 21st. century for gods sake, thats what im saying, and of course there are ''good people'' over there but wasnt there good people in Germany as well, in Japan, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Viet-Nam too? There comes a time that through thier own-fault that the world should be just tired of all thier 'killing everyone but thier own' crap has to be put to a stop. For gods sake the flea on a dogs back is a creature of god too. And if there are so many good souls over in that part of the world why havent all of the ''good ones'' managed to get themselfs into a leadership role in untold years? We fought for ourselfs and managed to come up with some kind of ''civilized ''sociaty in a fraction of time compared to people over there. I guess its a matter of ipinion as to how long the rest of the world should put up with blood letting and blowing everything up that contains ''non-believers'' but for me i hope its a dinner plate tomorrow. thats what im saying.

Gary H

And if there are so many good souls over in that part of the world why haven't all of the ''good ones'' managed to get themselfs into a leadership role in untold years?

That is an excellent question.

I can't fully answer the question, but I can say that Egypt is not as aggressive as it once was. That isn't saying that there aren't terrorist that were born in Egypt.

I think that we can all agree that many of these countries are ruled by autocrats that are only interested in themselves and maintaining power. The religious/political structure in Saudi Arabia is one such example. Certainly, the more violent aspects of the Koran combined with the most radical religious sects, such as the Wahabi sect, are a bad combination. It seems to me that Bush's strategy, should he actually have one, is to push democracy and thereby improve the economic and educational opportunity in Iraq. Then Iraq will be an regional example as to how a country can better itself. I think that this is why there is such a fight. Iran, in particular, doesn't want a quasi-Western style democracy in the region. Iranian extremist want to be the regional model. I believe that Iran will continue to do everything possible to disrupt progress in Iraq and that Iraq won't be free of violence until Iran is put to bed. The second big problem in the area is Saudi Arabia. It is true that Bush is in bed with the royal family. I'm not so sure that this differs in any way from the position of previous presidents. I don't see how things can better themselves with Saudi Arabia playing all sides. What we have failed to do is make ourselves energy independent. We are all at fault for this one. We never were serious when Jimmy the Carter declared that this was our goal. No president since J.C., pun intended, has been serious. If they had, they would have never deep-sixed nuclear energy plant construction.

I just downloaded the spell checker and it seems that one of the alternative words in the checker for Wahabi is "wannabee." That seemed rather appropriate.

Weeg

The French will help!

:D

frencharmy.gif

Gary H

Wars And Rumors Of Wars

Israel plans strike on nuclear Iran Sharon tells military to prepare for attack on key sites in March
WARS AND RUMORS OF WARS
Israel plans strike
on nuclear Iran
Sharon tells military to prepare
for attack on key sites in March

Posted: December 11, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has ordered his defense forces to plan for a pre-emptive strike on Iran's nuclear weapons facilities by the end of March – the time intelligence sources say Tehran will be able to begin producing nuclear weapons.

The directive came after Iran's President Mahmoud Amadinejad this week suggested Israel should be moved to Europe.

Iran has been ignoring warnings from the International Atomic Energy Agency about its plans to continue enriching uranium.

In early March, Mohamed El-Baradei, the head of the IAEA, will present his next report on Iran. El-Baradei, who received the Nobel peace prize yesterday, warned that the world was "losing patience" with Iran.

Defense sources in Israel believe the end of March to be the "point of no return," after which Iran will have the technical expertise to enrich uranium in sufficient quantities to build a nuclear warhead in two to four years.

"Israel — and not only Israel — cannot accept a nuclear Iran," Sharon warned recently. "We have the ability to deal with this and we’re making all the necessary preparations to be ready for such a situation."

The order to prepare for a possible attack went through the Israeli defense ministry to the chief of staff, according to a report today in the London Sunday Times.

Israeli intelligence has reportedly identified a number of Iranian uranium enrichment sites unknown to the IAEA, according to the Times.

If a military operation is approved, Israel will reportedly use a combination of air and ground forces against several nuclear targets in the hope of stalling Tehran’s nuclear program for years..

The Times reports Israel would likely call on its top special forces brigade, Unit 262 and the F-15I strategic 69 Squadron, which can strike Iran and return to Israel without refueling.

Russia last week signed an estimated $1 billion contract to sell Iran advanced Tor-M1 systems capable of destroying guided missiles and laser-guided bombs from aircraft.

"Once the Iranians get the Tor-M1, it will make our life much more difficult," an Israeli air force source told the Times. "The installation of this system can be relatively quick and we can’t waste time on this one."

Rebar

No suprise to me, the Israelis would have to be insane not to stop this. Even if it means a preemptive nuclear strike.

Eghad

Ahmadinejad comments were made during a meeting with protesting students at Iran's Interior Ministry.

He quoted a remark from Ayatollah Khomeini, founder of Iran's Islamic revolution, that Israel "must be wiped out from the map of the world."

The president then said: "And God willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world without the United States and Zionism," according to a quote published by Iran's state news outlet, the Islamic Republic News Agency.

In December 2001, Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a former Iranian president and still powerful political figure, laid the groundwork for an exchange of nuclear weapons with Israel: "If a day comes when the world of Islam is duly equipped with the arms Israel has in possession, the strategy of colonialism would face a stalemate because application of an atomic bomb would not leave anything in Israel but the same thing would just produce minor damages in the Muslim world."

In like spirit, a Shahab-3 ballistic missile (capable of reaching Israel) paraded in Tehran last month bore the slogan "Israel Should Be Wiped Off the Map."

Ever since Ayatollah Khomeini took over iran the call has been to wipe Israel off the map and to destroy the Great Satan = United States. That has been over 27 years.

they are consistent about what thier goals are.

Now we are bogged down in Iraq because we said Iraq was a nuclear threat, while the real nuclear and terrorist supporters get a walk.....

If Israel attacks Iraq which is a possibility, then what happens to the terrorist movement in Iraq? I would venture an opinion that it would due to muslim sympathy for Iran and a chance to get back at the 'Great Satan".

While European and western nations have condemned the Iranian president's remarks, the Arab and Muslim world has been largely silent. Only Turkey, a Muslim but secular state, has called for Mr Ahmadinejad to withdraw his comments.

its the final round in Atomic Jeporady for the contestants and the clock is ticking.... tick tock.

attachment.php

Attachments

• jihad.jpg
    jihad.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 52

Eghad

P.S. Why do we in the west call them suicide bombers?

they are not suicide bombers. Jihad is one of the great duties of Muslim. In Islam dying as a Martyr abbrogates all your sins and guarentees you heaven. nothing suicidal about it when they are making a concious and voluntary deicison to become a soldier in the war against the unbeleivers. so they are soldiers in thier minds and not suicide bombers.

Do we call them suicide bombers to take the edge off the reality and make us feel sorry for them? sympathy? How about we just call them terrorists... but then again thats kind of a harsh word isnt it ? doesnt eleicit much sympathy.

Some in the muslim muslim world calls them martyrs....

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543556

In the two Sahihs (of Al-Bukhari and Muslim), it has been narrated on the authority of Sahl ibn Sa`d (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "To guard Muslims from disbelievers in Allah's Cause for one day is better than the world and whatever is on it, and a place in Paradise as small as that occupied by the whip of one of you is better than the world and whatever is on it; and a morning's or an evening's journey which a slave (of Allah) travels in Allah's Cause is better than the world and whatever is on it."‏

We implore Allah to help Muslims return to their religion, reform their leaders and their aides, and make them one hand on the path of truth and help them to understand their religion and strive in the Cause of Allah, the Lord of the worlds, so that they may achieve supremacy on earth and put their enemy to rout. It is Allah Almighty Who bestows success and grants victory."

http://www.islamonline.net/english/aboutus.shtml

Last edited:

shootinstudent

Eghad,

FYI, you are posting from a website that adheres to a form of Islam which has been rejected by most muslims. It is from the Salafist school, a version of Islam that is considered heretical by the Sunni scholars. (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali make up something like 80 percent of all Muslims).

The Sunni schools condemn suicide and the killing of noncombatants.

Here's a response to a Salafist type claim about the religion by a Shafi'i scholar:http://www.livingislam.org/maa/dcmm_e.html

Gary H

We are discussing Iran / More Specifically The Leadership Not the People

Sunni Muslims constitute approximately 8 percent of the Iranian population. A majority of Kurds, virtually all Baluchis and Turkomans, and a minority of Arabs are Sunnis, as are small communities of Persians in southern Iran and Khorasan. The main difference between Sunnis and Shias is that the former do not accept the doctrine of the Imamate. Generally speaking, Iranian Shias are inclined to recognize Sunnis as fellow Muslims, but as those whose religion is incomplete. Shia clergy tend to view missionary work among Sunnis to convert them to true Islam as a worthwhile religious endeavor. Since the Sunnis generally live in the border regions of the country, there has been no occasion for Shia-Sunni conflict in most of Iran. In those towns with mixed populations in West Azarbaijan, the Persian Gulf region, and Baluchestan va Sistan, tensions between Shias and Sunnis existed both before and after the Revolution. Religious tensions have been highest during major Shia observances, especially Moharram.

http://countrystudies.us/iran/56.htm

Eghad

shootin student....

a bomber is not commiting suicide...he is a martyr advancing the cause of Islam.

so he is not commiting suicide.

becoming a martyr erases the sins of killing the innocents.

he is going to paradise.

"A leading Islamist authority, Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi , recently explained the distinction this way: attacks on enemies are not suicide operations but "heroic martyrdom operations" in which the kamikazes act not "out of hopelessness and despair but are driven by an overwhelming desire to cast terror and fear into the hearts of the oppressors."

has studied Islamic Education and made the results of its work available. CMIP finds that Abu-Sway co-authored a textbook that includes these passages (whose translations I have lightly edited):

Martyrdom: "Martyrdom is when a Muslim is killed in the path of God. ... A person who dies thus is called a ‘martyr' [shahid]. ... Martyrdom for God is the hope of all those who believe in God and have trust in His promises. ... The martyr rejoices in the paradise that God has prepared for him."

Duty to fight: "Clarify the Muslims' duty towards their brethren who are threatened by occupation and aggression by enemies."

Jihad: "These noble verses [of the Qur'an] prove the virtue of jihad... and warn against evading a jihad in the path of God....and warn Muslims not to defy His word nor refrain from jihad."

These and other passages leave no room for the imagination; the professor teaches Palestinian youth that dying "in the path of God" is something to "rejoice" in. Is this, I can't help but wonder, the education that the Fulbright program and Florida Atlantic University wish to promote?

Mr Abu-Sway taught at Florida Atlantic University

How many innocents did Muhammed the Prophet kill during his time?

a killer can be forgiven for his sins by God also cant he in Christianity?

Last edited:

Gary H

Iran: Nuclear Weapons Use Of Pre-Emptive Strikes

Lets keep this thread focused.

If you want to discuss the religious element, that is fine, but do it in relationship to the folks that are in power in Iran, Israel and the U.S.

There is a real shortage of major Islamic political and religious leaders risking life and limb. Those that preach hate seem to be willing to let the other guy martyr themselves. So, I've got to assume that these folks use religion to secure their own power. If true, dying in a massive glass producing blast would not be in character. Iran's president does have some genuine radical credentials, but he is still alive. He hasn't run off and killed himself in order to secure the virgins that fools seek. In fact, he has played the political game in Iran. The clergy has supported policies that use front groups. They don't even directly risk their reputation. Of course, the rhetoric is violent, but their own actions are not. These folks let others do the dirty work and risk life. So, in the final stages of this thing, no massive war will happen short of real mis-steps and misunderstanding. Of course, these have happened before, such as the first U.S. invasion of Iraq and Saddam's mis-calculations. These guys will back down when it is clear that they will be killed. Should they think that they will be able to stay safe in their underground bunker, all bets are off.

Eghad

If you want to discuss the religious element, that is fine, but do it in relationship to the folks that are in power in Iran, Israel and the U.S.

Islam in Iran makes no distinction between government and religion.

From the CIA Factbook

theocratic republic

Main Entry: the·oc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: thE-'ä-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Greek theokratia, from the- + -kratia -cracy
1 : government of a state by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided
2 : a state governed by a theocracy

so government and religion are the same in Iran.

Chief of State of Iran: Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Hoseini-KHAMENEI (since 4 June 1989)

So I would say that the discussion on religion is on target.

wonder what he advoctes about the United States and Israel?

Gary H

so government and religion are the same in Iran.

The only people that make any difference in Iran with regard to this topic are the people in power and their motivation, rhetoric and most of all actions. I do believe that religion is used to control the people, but I'm less sure that the folks on top really believe what they espouse. It is somewhat like Barbara Strident, she wants folks to save energy and hang their laundry out to dry, but she likes SUVs and spends 10K+ a month for her electric bill at just one of her properties. Do as I say, not do as I do. I doubt that many would do what Osama has done. He has given up riches and luxury for a life as a hunted man, or woman, depending on how he is presently disguised.

Eghad

The guy in charge in Iran is a religious leader.

One entry found for ayatollah.

Main Entry: aya·tol·lah
Pronunciation: "I-&-'tO-l&, -'tä-, -'t&-, 'I-&-"
Function: noun
Etymology: Persian, literally, sign of God, from Arabic Aya sign, miracle + allAh God
: a religious leader among Shiite Muslims -- used as a title of respect especially for one who is not an imam

he wants Israel to be a footnote in history classes in Iran and beleives that the United States is the Great Satan.

"Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called on Friday for the destruction of Israel, describing it as a "cancerous tumor" in the Middle East.

"Iran's stance has always been clear on this ugly phenomenon (Israel). We have repeatedly said that this cancerous tumor of a state should be removed from the region," Khamenei told thousands of Muslim worshippers in Tehran."

Gary H

I'm sure that he is OK with others dying to fulfill the rhetoric, but the real question is, will he risk his own life and that of his family in order to destroy Israel. If not, then there is hope that this thing will be diffused. The answer will come at the last minute. Israel will attack Iran should they believe that these guys will follow through on their threat. The problem is that Israel, short of nuclear means, has limited resources.

I'm not suggesting that the leadership is not a theocracy, but I am suggesting that like the crusading popes of a thousand years ago, these guys do things for reasons of power and use religion to control the people.