Does recoil affect your choice in a hand gun

Mike38

Yes, it does now. I'm almost 89 years old with severe arthritis in my right wrist and now carry nothing but a .22 caliber loaded with Stingers. 'Bout the best I can do.

Not a thing wrong with that. As long as you can shoot / practice now and then, and enjoy yourself, it's all good. A well placed .22 Stinger beats the heck out of a sharp stick. :D

hemiram

At this point, with the damages to my hands over the years, I definitely feel heavy recoil, but most of the time, not until a couple of hours afterward. I can shoot 9mm, 45, 380, and 22LR without much discomfort, but .40 is unpleasant from the first shot, even out of the heaviest all steel .40 I owned, an S&W 4006 TSW. A 5906 that's very similar is fine, but that 4006 was pretty rough after the first mag. This one was the worst of all the .40 guns I've owned, an Astra A75 in 40. Very nice gun, shot well, but I could take my pulse after shooting just a few rounds by counting the throbbing in my hand:
rKYEAW.jpg

Dragon breath

I am not generally recoil sensitive. I have shot everything from Lcp’s to subcompact 9mm’s to 454 revolvers without trouble. The one gun that I refuse to carry and rarely shoot is a DoubleTap defense 45 acp derringer. That thing HURTS to shoot. The last time I shot it I put 4 rounds of regular 230 grain ball ammo through it. I could still feel it the next day. I also own a Bond Arms 357 magnum derringer. It feels like it has about half of the recoil of the Doubletap.

HiBC

I enjoy plinking with full power 44 mag loads.
My innards tell me 45 ACP or 10mm has to be "better" for SD because "More,bigger=better.

But if I use my mind.....hits count. 9mm strikes a pretty good balance for adequate power with excellent controllability.

I'm thinking if the sample sizes are large enough,more effective 9mm SD fire can be delivered from a 9mm than a greater recoil cartridge IN MY OPINION.
No claim its fact.Its opinion. You may have your opinion.

Its an imperfectly worded statement and there are many variables.
Call it more hits of adequate power quicker. might beat bigger hits slower.on most days.
But bouncing cans with a 44 mag is still fun.