Does recoil affect your choice in a hand gun

Jack19

And James Bond used a .32 ACP. Both fictional characters.

In real life, .38, .38, .38, 9mm, 9mm, 9mm.

Not so fictional.

The point stands, shoot with what you can get hits. Even a .22.

Last edited:

Sanch

Recoil is a crucial criterion in all of my firearm purchases.

I've fired a Freedon Arms .454 Casull exactly 3 times, 2 more than necessary to know it was too much cartridge for a handgun.

A .300 Win Mag in a sporter weight rifle will cause recoil fatigue in a huge hurry.

A max loaded .45/70 Gov't fired from an 1895 is painful.

JDBerg

Back before the ammo shortage I could easily shoot 300 rounds during a range session with my Walther PPS-M2 using the 8rd accessory mags. I shot a borrowed P365 once and I thought the Sig’s recoil was excessive using the same ammo alongside my Walther.

tallball

For a range toy, not really. I don't own anything stronger than 44 magnum, but the ones I have are fun range toys.

For EDC it's an LCR or LCPII. I can do a box through the LCPII with just a little wear and tear on my hand, but I don't flinch with it and I can empty it onto a paper plate at 7 yards ten times out of ten. The LCR in 38 special is a piece of cake with LCRx grips.

I have a small Kahr 40 caliber that I can shoot just fine with the slightly extended mag.

I wouldn't buy a small, light 44 magnum (or something worse) for carry, but that's limit my so far.

At age 55, though, my arthritis isn't too bad yet.

Moonglum

I am comfortable w/ anything that has less recoil than this:

105MMHowitzer.gif
The only reason it did that is because it wasn't properly emplaced.

Kirrich

When I was in the service, I had to qualify as expert with my 1911 .45 every six months. Forty years later when I went to buy one, I found it heavy, wider then I remembered and I could not even rack it. I never got the chance to shoot it, so I took a look at a Ruger P345 .45 and found it lighter, narrower and easier to handle. I bought it and the recoil did not bother me at all. My wife even shot a magazine's worth and got down right giddy about how much fun it was. So, I would have to say no, recoil did not affect my choice in purchasing a handgun. For me it was just caliber and a good quality firearm to shoot it with.

Attachments

• KP-345 and Nimravus.JPG
    KP-345 and Nimravus.JPG
    537.2 KB · Views: 7

44 AMP

Staff
James Bond used a Beretta .25 ACP before his boss forced him to man up to the .32.

yes, and they told him it "hits like a brick through a plate glass window"...

And, the CIA guy who had a snub nose .38 Special carried "a cannon"

Ian Fleming was NOT a gun guy! :D

SIGSHR

To a certain extent, I buy only steel frame handguns for that reason.
Always thought proper grips were the quickest way to deal with recoil.

Sanch

Hi MRT949,

Ab-so-gosh-darn-luty.

Fire an authentic .454 Casull cartridge out of a Freedom Arms revolver, and you'll know pain.

The thought of firing a .357 Mag is painful. I have no intention of confirming that thought.

TruthTellers

To some extent. I stay away from .357 in a snubbie. I've thought about getting a .454 full Ruger Super Redhawk/Blackhawk, but I really don't need that kind of power, nor do I care to deal with the recoil, but I would like it because it's even stronger than the standard Blackhawk.

For semi auto's it depends on the gun. If it's a tiny pocket pistol like the .380's out there, yes, I don't care for .380 pocket pistol because I shoot 20 rds worth in a few minutes and my hand starts shaking like I have Parkinson's.

For larger size semi's, usually doublestacks, I can take the recoil, but that doesn't mean I can shoot blazing fast because of it.

Kreyzhorse

To an extent. My 44 mag Ruger Vaquero is a harding recoiling hand gun I enjoy shooting on a limited basis. My Buckmark gets shot a lot.

Camping trips, I've carried the Ruger for critters and such even though I have way less trigger time with it.

mrt949

Back in the mid 1980's I got involved in I.H.M.S.A .They shot calibers that would give RECOIL A DIFFERENT NAME :D

Doug Ridley

Yes, it does now. I'm almost 89 years old with severe arthritis in my right wrist and now carry nothing but a .22 caliber loaded with Stingers. 'Bout the best I can do.

Mike38

Yes, caliber means a lot in my choice. Being that I shoot Precision Pistol competitively, inherent accuracy and low recoil means everything. Light loaded .45acp, .32 S&W Long, calibers like that. Even for fun range use, light loaded .38spcl and 9mm. Chewing out the X-ring is more satisfying for me than paper plate sized groups any day. For self defense / home defense, I carry full power loads, but no magnums. I'm one of those that believe shot placement is way more important than a miss with a .44 Magnum. My carry pistol is a .32acp, and my home defense pistol is a 9mm with factory loads.