Does It Exist, Or Am I Asking Too Much?

hornetguy

There is a lot to be said for the 7.62X39 round. It is absolutely effective against human targets, and is definitely useable for hunting deer, if the correct bullet is used.
I haven't priced the Mini-30 lately, but I remember them being a little pricey, for what you get. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Rugers, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the "value" factor of this one. It's said they have had some accuracy issues? What kind of groups can you shoot with them?
If you are going to spend money on a "minute of critter" accurate rifle, get an SKS and be done with it. Spend a couple hundred dollars on a rifle that is utterly dependable, and reasonably accurate. If you don't like the "military" appearance of it, put an aftermarket synthetic stock on it. This will also add to the length of pull, which most of us really need for these short stocked rifles.
I've taken two hogs (130-150lbs) with mine, and the only thing I'd do differently now is use the 154gr softpoint russian ammo. The 123gr is a little light for hogs, but would probably work just fine on deer. I can usually shoot 2"groups at 50yds and around 6-8" at 100yds. Definitely minute of deer, or BG.
In a SHTF scenario, surplus ammo on stripper clips sounds like the ticket.

ANY round that is viable for home defense is going to be capable of going through walls. The only thing that MIGHT not be a danger to kids in the next room would be small birdshot in a shotgun, but even that will go through sheetrock pretty easily. Any rifle round will go till it hits something solid, or it runs out of gas.

jmr40

After reading your thoughts and the responses of others I sorta think the Marlin you had to begin with may have been as close as you are going to get. If you liked the gun why not try another. Sometimes you get a lemon. Chances are pretty good the next one may do just fine for your uses

davlandrum

Or Am I Asking Too Much?

Yes.

To do that range of scenarios, you have to sacrifice something - either you are going to have over-penetration in HD or lack penetration for hunting.

Why do you think they make so many flavors?:D

Kilgor

$450 AK-47 with THIS. A scope for deer hunting and a small reddot for home defense.

The 154 grain soft point Wolf has taken 4 deer for me in the last two years and I don't think there's much argument against this gun's merits as a home defense weapon. I have found THIS ten round magazine for be ideal for deer hunting.

bottom rung

Your not asking too much. You just need to decide what fits your needs. I too, spend much time looking at rifles to cover a variety of bases. Unfortunately, I firmly believe that a .357/.41/.44/.45/.30-30 lever action is pert near as good as it gets for what your looking for. Sorry.

snipecatcher

I had a Marlin in 44 Mag also. It too got the "Marlin Jam." I also sold mine. It was the only lever gun I've owned, but if I buy another lever gun, it will probably be a 30-30. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a CZ carbine in 7.62x39. I've never owned one or even handled one, but I'd love to have one. You could shoot super cheap surplus ammo, and make some pretty effective loads for hunting.
-Dan

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Lord knows I've messed with the .44 Maggie a bunch, these last forty years, but I think that if bears are being considered, I'd rather my lever action was in thutty-thutty. Same for deer hunting, for that matter. Sure, the .44 will do the job, but not as well, IMO.

As far as defense and over-penetration, that's no problem because of where I live. Other folks might have to think about "no-no" angles or directions.

If a guy likes lever-guns, odds are that unless it's on out toward Ma Bell country, no bolt-gun will treat him any better.

Stevie-Ray

Stevie: That sounds plausible. I've never shot one of those; how reliable are they with JHPs?
Only one I've ever seen fired was spitting PMC 240 gr JHPs out with boring regularity. I know this because I was shooting a Redhawk next to him with the same load. The guy even offered to buy my Redhawk so he could have both carbine and revolver in one caliber. I wasn't looking to sell at the time.

Single Six

Art Eatman: Okay, you have my attention. My 1894SS was a great-looking rifle with a barely-legal barrel length [came that way from the factory]. However, no matter how hard I worked that lever, no matter how clean and lubed I kept the rifle, it was NOT reliable. After firing and then ejecting the empty case, the next round I tried to lever in would hang up while trying to go into the chamber. This happened with both JHPs as well as solids. Not every time, but it happened enough that it became a major annoyance..so, I sold it. Now, in your experience, just how reliable are the Marlin .30-30s?

Single Six

Warbirdlover: If your TFL name means what I think it does, we have something in common other than firearms; I'm a big fan of the B-29, B-36, P-51 and, a bit more recent, the A-10. Meanwhile...the .300 Win Mag? For my stated intentions, that might be just a shade too much. Remember, I'm concerned with home defense, occasional short-range deer hunting, and black bears intruding on my property...not grizzlies!

Doodlebugger45

OK, admittedly this is kind of a silly exercise, but sure I contemplate such things occasionally too. For the game mentioned, it sort of leaves out bolt actions, although I have a safe full of fine bolt actions that would do the job. And I have to admit that my personal circumstances kind of diminish the worry of overpenetration in the home defense scenario.

So, I'm getting there. 95% of my rifles don't really fit the bill in the terms described. But I still have a couple. Yeah, I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Excellent gun and would handle about any situation with ease.

But not my pick. Actually, it sorta popped up in my own life lately. Nah, I'm not worried about human intruders where I live. But I had a black bear that was causing problems in the night outside my back porch. Just a nuisance and got me POd. So I actually started leaving a loaded rifle standing next to the door. Yep, this rifle had proved its worth for the last 35 years of my life in deer hunting. I would trust it with my life, mainly because I know every nook and cranny and weakness and I know it will get the job done.

Amazingly, it is a 30-30 in Winchester 94. But that's just me. I could work it and fire it under water, in the dark, while being attacked by crocodiles and hounded by the IRS agents.

No matter all the whiz bang rifles I own, that is the one I turn to, mainly because of the familiarity factor with me. Don't underestimate that ever. There are a lot of good suggestions here. Any of them will work really, maybe some better than others. But the main thing is to get a rifle and shoot it a lot. A whole lot. Handle it all the time. Get to know it better than your cell phone or favorite shoes. When I was 14, I literally slept with this same 30-30. No, not for any good reason. I just liked the feel of it. It was my first rifle and my most prized possession ever. It's hard to beat that comfort factor.

BIG P

IMHO a 7600 rem pump in 270 win Short fast action, lite& depenable Ive took black bear,hogs, deer,yotes it does a great job.:D

silverrado58

I kinda agree with Doodlebugger about the 30-30 I would go with bullets in the 110-125 grain class for home defense. Round nose softpoints or flat nose because of the tube magazine, and the 170 grain round nose softpoints for the bears. As an after thought you can try Hornady LEVERevolution Ammunition, designed for lever guns with tube magazines. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=775263

Here is a one choice for home defense in a 30-30
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=330519

Last edited:

handlerer2

Has anyone considered the bullet? I have seen the video of the 243 Barnes Varmit grenade and the cherry tomato. Intruders aren't varmits, but this is thing is explosive on contact and with the power in a 243Win would have to be deadly at the length of your hallway. With a Barnes TTX it will handle deer or blackbear. I have heard of people using 223, VMAX, for home defense and it being considered effective.

gyvel

Stevie: That sounds plausible. I've never shot one of those; how reliable are they with JHPs?

Ruger .44 carbines are, in spite of their popularity in Maine, notoriously UNreliable.:barf:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Single Six, in my years of moderating, I don't recall any serious gripes about feeding problems in a 336 .30-30. Myself, I've had a couple of 94s that were stiffer than I liked. But, a couple of others worked quite smoothly.

I do have a bias against these very-short barrels, but that's just me. :) I figure that "in-house handiness" is a very low priority. Shorties are fine if your job involves clearing rooms, but that's not a job I'd be doing with a rifle.