Does It Exist, Or Am I Asking Too Much?

BusGunner007

1 AR-15 lower receiver...&...

...several upper receivers in the calibers of your choice.
.22LR to .50 Beowolf.:D
It still counts as ONE RIFLE

ETA: I noticed your screen ID "Single Six" and post-count "357" ;)
It's a sign...:eek:

NWCP

Get the venerable .308 in a good bolt action. Look at CZ and you'll find a nice selection of rifles chambered for .308.

Single Six

Pabuckslayer08: You mean just rely on my .357, and thereby take away my excuse to buy another gun?! Did my wife pay you to say that? :) But seriously, no, a dedicated hunting rifle wasn't what I had in mind.

pabuckslayer08

No, I didnt mean dont buy another gun. I love buying guns even if no one else knows about them. The problem is a house protection rifle is a 44 or something like that in pump or lever action. A good hunting rifle will still drop a target coming through the house but penetration will be a issue, maybe use good balistic tips that explode on impact of everything. Federal makes a Nosler ballistic tip that literally blows up by hitting a leather coat. That would probably work well from a deer rifle. Maybe find something with a detach clip and load one for hunting and sight it in and use the extra clip for defense ammo and dont even sight it in, no need to as the farthest you may shoot is 20 yards

L_Killkenny

Jmr is right, they dont make a gun that will take bear and deer that wont blow through the side of the house

Sure they do, it's called a 12ga. Anything from birdshot to 200 yard slugs with the right barrel. Problem solved.

LK

GeauxTide

With the caviat of home defense, get your 1894 fixed and get an 870 Tactical. A 1 1/8 oz load of 7.5s will stop the most determined BG across the room and it won't shoot through the house.

Single Six

Killkenny and Geauxtide: I can't fault your logic. I already have a sweet 870. But to rely on a gun I already have would make this whole thread kinda moot....and also take away my excuse for buying another gun. Where's the fun in that? :(

pabuckslayer08

Single 6, you already have all the necessary protaction guns. Treat yourself to a fun to shoot hunting rifle. Once you shoot a good rifle you will love to go to the range and plink at gongs just to see if you can hit them

gak

I think you can "come close" to your objective, especially if hunting is not in the forefront of your intended uses. I'm. with those that say get your .44 "properly" fixed--or even get another (of some variety) if you're soured on that particular one. Mine's a pair of Rossi 92s. I'm the first to admit they're not the ones to optimally scope, but not why I have them to begin with. Nothing wrong with a Marlin either, properly set uo.

Still, the .44's not the reliable deer-getter beyond 150 or so, if that's an issue. If it is, the .30-30's a better choice--on up to 200-225 max, or if you're dabbling in those ranges and beyond, I'd echo comments on nixxing the HD role--as you do technically have it covered--and getting a .308 or 7mm-08. The latter is particularly tolerant of shorter barrels --as in 18-20" (18" Remington Model 7 comes to mind as one particularly nice application), and of course, being a descendant of the .308 is a short action.

But, as you say no dedicated hunting rifles, back to the .44, it's a fairly versatile combo with the lever. 44 specials or specialized SD rounds for close-in home defense duty, and as hot as you want for the short range hunting and "black bear emergency" duty. I always have my .44 lever and companion revolver handy in camp in such bear (and lion) country in Arizona.

Another choice - Ruger Mini 30. Though it's been called basically a semi-auto .30-30, I'd choose literally a .30-30 over it for strictly hunting duty--especially with its array of heavier bullet choices--but as a dual-duty gun the Mini 30 certainly would fill the bill. A lot has been said about inaccuracy in the Mini 30s in its first few decades of existence, but it's fine for minute-of-critter, and that aspect is supposedly improved in the newer models. Also, IIRC Ruger's also finally out with hi-cap mags for more home-defensive duty and range fun. You'll hear a lot (maybe here) about how the SKS or even AK is a much better buy in the same round. Maybe so, but especially the former has about as much charm as a brick, and re the latter the Mini 30s a bit "more PC" in appearance. Either way, over-penetration certainly would be an issue with the 7.62x39, more so than a relatively mildly loaded-but-effective and blunt-nosed .44. The .44 Special is one of the very best SD rounds out of a revolver, very similar ballistics to the vaunted .45ACP. So, you can imagine decent effectiveness of 8 or 10 such rounds out of a 16"-20" tube.

In sum, get/keep the .44. If you then get the hankering for more serious mid-to-long range deer or elk (etc) hunting, graduate up to an approporiate bolt-action (.308/.30-06 class again).

Later EDIT. I noted the .30-30 briefly, but echo the next poster's mention of it again. The .44's a better HD choice, but otherwise the good ol" .30-30's been doing all-around duty for over 100 years now. Don't listen to those with magnumitis or "it's worthless at 600 yards" types who pooh pooh the round. It's very effective for what it's intended range/duty is. It all depends on your quarry and conditions... like everything else, a shooter's "got to know its limitations." If you're expecting a .45-70 on moose in heavy timber or .270 far away, it ain't those. But it's a darn good all 'rounder under 200, which is where most folks' shooting is (or for many should be!) done anyway. Love my old Winchesters chambered in this great round, but the Marlin 336 is a good one also. In fact, hard to beat.

Last edited:

Deja vu

buy one of those survival guns with a 223 and a 12ga with slugs you can take any thing you will see in the lower 48 states and the 223 will be good for longer range shooting.

a 30-30 would be a good bet too.

Single Six

Gak: Thank you for taking the time to post. You may have missed it, but I ditched the Marlin; I have no use for an unreliable weapon. I have to admit that my bad experience with that rifle has soured me on lever actions [it was my first and only one]. Meanwhile, the Mini 30 is very much on my list of possibilities. I've also noticed Ruger's new Gunsite Scout rifle....also a definite candidate. Again, to you and everyone else, thanks for all the help.

mapsjanhere

Browning BLR in 450 Marlin will stop a bear and the Undertaker or whoever else is breaking into your house. Overpenetration will be an issue with anything that can shoot through a bear, including a slug.

PIGMAN

M1 Garand
There are some to be had for around $700.I think a member here was selling one for around $700