Does It Exist, Or Am I Asking Too Much?

Single Six

I want a rifle. Just one. It would be for anything and everything, from deer hunting to black bear emergencies to home defense. I thought I'd found it in my Marlin 1894SS .44, but it malfunctioned relentlessly [even after a return to the Marlin factory]. :mad: My budget is in the $700.00 [or so] range. I'm open to any and all suggestions here. Thanks all!

pabuckslayer08

I would get a 30-06, great for any animal on North America. You can go clear up to a 220gr bullet which is plenty and all the way down to 115gr. I would go find yourself a Reminton SPS synthetic 30-06 and put yourself a good set of Leupold Rings on it and get a Nikon Prostaff BDC scope. Then shoot Fusion 150s out of it. Probably the best budget setup you can buy in todays world. Avoid the reminton 770s, cheaper savage guns. If it sounds to cheap to be true stay away. It will cause more hassle than what its worth.

Jim Watson

Send your Marlin to a real gunsmith instead of a company warranty clerk.
There are several good shops serving the Cowboy market on lever actions.

jmr40

The Marlin should do better than that, but you will never find anything as reliable, simple and good for all round use as a quality bolt action.

I'd buy a stainless bolt gun in 30-06 and call it good. Might as well get CRF and with a $700 budget that means Ruger. If you wanted to spend a little more I think the Winchester Extreme Weather is a bit more refined and a slightly better gun, but the Rugers are built like a tank. You would probably never wear it out.

Single Six

Jim Watson: I hadn't thought of that...but it's too late; I sold the Marlin after all that frustration. Goofy-Foot: 45-70? No question that it would bring down a deer or a bear, but wouldn't that be a bit much for home defense? Pabuckslayer08: I'd ask the same question of the 30.06. Over-penetration is possible with pretty much anything, but with those 2 calibers, I'd think it was not just possible but probable!

Single Six

Oneoldsap: Ditto for .308; same concerns for home defense & over-penetrating. Not trying to shoot you guys down by any means, just trying to cover all the bases. My post title says it all: Am I asking too much here?

jmr40

Any round remotely suitable for black bear in going to over penetrate for self defense. Including the 44 mag you sold. To do what you want requires 2 separate rifles, or 1 shotgun and several different loads.

Single Six

Jmr40: My intent was to use .44 Specials in the Marlin for defense. But, my gut feeling has been that I am indeed asking too much of one rifle; I'm just sounding out the opinions of others. Thanks.

pabuckslayer08

Jmr is right, they dont make a gun that will take bear and deer that wont blow through the side of the house, it will stop the taget though. I dont even know if they make such a thing but maybe you could do some research and see if you can load a 30-06 up with something other than a standard lead or copper bullet.

Hog Buster

You could always buy one of the Mariln bolt actions in 30/06, around $300, and a double barreled Coach gun in 12 gauge for about $280. Plus a moderately priced scope for about $120. All bases covered for $700 or so.

My grandson just bought a Marlin XLRS in 30’06 and I’m impressed with it. Scoped with one of the Bushnells. I have a 12 gauge Stoeger Coach gun for 4 legged and 2 legged varmints and it works fine.

shrewd

stick with the lever, they are so much fun to shoot.

.44 should be fine if you use defense rounds.
how about a companion revolver in the same caliber for home defense?

Crosshair

What about the new Rossi Revolving Carbines. They are going to be selling one in 44 mag. I plan to pick one up in addition to the 22 mag/22 rimfire.

Bamashooter

Get a Thompson Center Venture 30-06. In my opinion its the best under 600 dollar rifle on the market. The 30-06 cartridge can shoot 125gr. - 220gr. bullets. You could get the T/C Venture, a good burris scope, and still have enough money to buy 3-4 diffrent kinds of ammo to see what your rifle liked. If I had to pick one rifle in that price range thats what I would get.

pabuckslayer08

Yea, SPS 700 or the Venture is great. Dont get a lever or single shot if your going bear hunting, you will regret it. Even a Rem. 7600 pump will be good