Do you want a gun you don't need?

MarkCO

Haha, yes.

Because of one of the threads on here, I took a long hard look at my current guns. I have sold 6 in the last 14 months, and bought two I really don't need. A Weatherby Element shotgun and a Henry 45-70. I have at least another dozen I don't shoot, but at some point I "wanted" them. I got out of several calibers I "wanted" but don't need too.

stagpanther

If I don't have it--I need it. If I have it and it performs really well, better get another as back-up. That was easy.

To the OP--I'm sure the howa would be a great shooter--in the same price class you might want to take a look at a cz 527 American rifle in grendel. I love CZ's barrels.

Last edited:
I am still home-bound, getting over severe COVID (9 day Hospital Stay), so I had plenty of time to continue my research online, while also calling every gun shop within a 100 miles of me.

Yes, I abandoned the Grendel for the 350 Legend.

My top three gun choices are no where to be found, including a dozen of the top online gun dealers. I want a bolt action, short barrel, slightly tactical look......

I am very pleased with my purchase and am hopeful I will love the gun. I had to order it through the Sportsman Warehouse website, with a store delivery of January 7.

Savage 110 Switchback Matte Black Bolt Action Rifle - 350 Legend

I also found a 1.25-4.5x26mm scope that should be a nice look and function on this gun.

8oYtgOf.png

std7mag

I don't NEED the Weatherby Mark V Hunter in 280AI that i'm on the waiting list for.
I already have 280 Rem, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag.

I also don't NEED the bench rest rifle i'm building for competitions. I already have factory class rifles.

Were it me, i'd go with the Grendel over the "Legend".
And i have no love for the 6.5mm cartridges, OR Howa.

MarkCO

I don't NEED the Weatherby Mark V Hunter in 280AI that i'm on the waiting list for.
I already have 280 Rem, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag.

I "need" the barreled action I have had on backorder for a year to complete my .280AI. :D I can't leave the stock, trigger and chassis by themselves.

I bought a set of .350 Legend dies, so I need the gun to go with them. :D

And everyone needs at least one Weatherby. :D

"I bought a set of .350 Legend dies, so I need the gun to go with them. "

I also reload, so a set of dies will be ordered soon as well.

I'll need to shoot several brands of ammo and bullet weights to see what this gun likes.

I did read that some are having trouble with mag feeding and had to do a little grinding.... but we will see how she does with me.

Scorch

Weeelll, most of us don't "need" guns, but what's wrong with just wanting one? I have about 50 guns I "needed", but very few that can do something my old Mauser can't do. So I'll be another to say mostly we just want something different to play with.

BornFighting88

An early model 77/357 with a walnut stock.
A mate for my 77/44
To piggy back off of this. I found a video reviewing the 77/44 “Destroyer” carbine that was supposed to be a modern day rehash of the DeLisle carbine of old.

Add this Destroyer Carbine to my list!

stagpanther

Bought my first box of 350 Legend.... whopping $16.
There's a reason it's so cheap--it's the worst of them all (factory loads). Ironically, Winnie's 180 power point I've found to be consistently the best of factory ammos. I bought a bunch of their early issue 145 target ammo and it shoots terrible--apparently they quietly corrected the issue with it and the subsequently it is rumored to shoot much better.

Last edited:

MarkCO

Quote:
I don't NEED the Weatherby Mark V Hunter in 280AI

Oh yes you do--because I'm dying to see how well it shoots--and I suspect VERY well judging from the new Weatherby's I've seen.

Me too. I plan to call Bergara mid Jan and if they can't tell me when my backordered .280AI barreled action might be made, I might just get that same Weatherby ordered and then figure out what to do with all the LA parts I have waiting.

stagpanther

Me too. I plan to call Bergara mid Jan and if they can't tell me when my backordered .280AI barreled action might be made, I might just get that same Weatherby ordered and then figure out what to do with all the LA parts I have waiting.
By the way guys, hot tip, Quality Cartridge called me yesterday out of the blue and told me they had made a run of 280 AI brass, so it's available. They aren't cheap, but are trusted by match shooters.

Hunter friend got a new Weatherby 300 wbym (entirely made here in the US in their new factory) and gave it to me to mount a scope and tune up for a zero at 300 yards. It is noticeably better IMO in the quality of the barrel's bore finishing compared to previous models I've used going back to when they were subbed out to overseas manufacturers, though none of them were "bad." Weatherby's standard guarantee is 3 shots of factory ammo at 100 yds will group MOA or under--at 300 yds I was able to get a 3 shot group well under .5 MOA with their factory ttsx ammo using a Trijicon 12x aimpoint. The ONLY thing I don't especially care for on the rifle I worked on is the cerakote finishing of the bolt and receiver lugs which can possibly make closing the bolt sticky on a brand new rifle until it's worn in a bit--but I don't know if they are all like that and it should wear in and get smoother with a break-in.

Last time I talked to the folks at the factory the wait list on new rifles was about a year out, if I were going to wait that long--and spring for a Mark 5 which is a pretty pricey investment to begin with--I'd take a close look at their custom work shop and seriously consider some of their options like action blueprinting.

Weatherbys are not match rifles, but for hunters they are supralitive IMO.

Last edited: