Do you have a favorite rifle to shoot?

--Don't know how to shrink images--. :eek:
My FAL, "Aussie L1A1 on Imbel", technically ;) "Century L1A1 Sporter" returned Yesterday from the premier US FAL gun smith, Mark Graham of ARS. The cost was moderate considering his vast experience.

He corrected a leaky gas tube (burrs in fwd. threads), precisely drilled the gas port, and found the barrel had No Washer (added the inch-pattern type)!
No wonder it shot way out of spec, far to the left. Naturally he headspaces after such work and tests all rifles.

It's a typical mixed-component clone of this British L1A1, with similar furniture:

The trigger is lighter/crisper than on a typical metric FAL and the sight post is clearly thinner.:)

Being fully- functional now (uses my "metric" mag, maybe "Inch" also?:confused:), due to Mark Graham's work, it ejects to 8-12', on gas setting #3. Shooting is while sitting on a club bench.

british-version-of-the-fn-fal-the-762mm-l1a1-slr-used-in-the-falklands-c85r9b.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite go to rifle is my 20 year old M&P 15PS. It was Smith’s venture into a piston operated AR-15. It has been flawless through 1000’s of rounds and it’s still very accurate with my EOTech HWS. It will easily put rounds into a 2 inch target at 100 yds. It’s super easy to clean…no messy BCG to mess with.

I have DI upper that goes on the PS lower, but I seldom shoot it because it takes 3 times as long to clean it compared to the piston. It was a good $700 investment that I’ll give my grandson someday.

Blue Duck

The Ruger 10/22 is a favorite of mine, as far as .22's go.
The AR=15's are pretty good, but I don't use them much.
Have a couple of FAL's and I like them for what they are.

.308 is my favorite caliber, in both semi-autos and bolt guns and leveractions.

But since we are talking about semi's, my favorite for stand deer hunting, is my old Browning BAR in .308 win. So, basically, it's my favorite. I love the blued steel and walnut. It's heavy, but it doesn't have much recoil and it's low noise. It's not all that accurate but reliable, and accurate enough for 250 yards on deer anyway. I have taken quite a few deer with it in the last few years. It has sentimental value, because it was my Grandfather's last deer rifle. And then it went to my first cousin who hunted with it, until he passed away, and I bought it from his mother. I have killed two bucks back-to-back, on two different occasions with, and sometimes, I feel like my grandfather is looking down with approval and is glad the old rifle is still making meat for his grandson. So, yeah, it's my favorite.