Do you have a favorite rifle to shoot?

Yesterday the heavy trigger on my first FAL (SAR-4800) began to feel ok.
Kinda normal for a rifle. It has the looks, partly from decades of historic photographs, no doubt.

The feel and sound of a .308 in my FALs, the PTR-91 or M1A is enjoyable, even hitting just clay pigeons at 50 yards.

Who needs "groups" if a target jumps or shatters?

All three .308 rifles are favorites, for different reasons. :cool:
The G3/HK-91 clone known as PTR-91 feels the most rugged and sometimes is the favorite, by a Very slim margin.

Wag

That's always a tough question. When I'm standing in front of the safe trying to decide which rifle to take to the range, they all look good to me.

The 45-70 lever action is always a favorite but so is the SKS. All of the AR-15's are top contenders for a day out.

So are all of the .22 LR rifles.

Depends on the day, I suppose!

--Wag--

taylorce1

Since this is a semi-auto forum I'll stick with those.

Ruger 10/22 target rifle with Whistle Pig barrel
Universal M1 Carbine
Ruger .44 Mag Carbine

USAF Ret

Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor in a Magpul Hunter stock, Timney trigger, Glades Armory bolt handle and a Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope. Put a custom paint job on it with rattle can Krylon.

My favorite rifle to shoot because the stock literally feels like and extension of my body, recoil is low and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Funny, it is alos the cheapest centerfire rifle I own as well (well, before mods).

44 AMP

Staff
Among semi auto .308s, hands down my favorite is my M1A. 100% "stock", no aftermarket or add on parts. ALL GI parts except the Springfield Armory receiver.

I've had an FAL and an HK 91 (the real HK, not a clone) and while I found some things to like about them, I like the M1A better. The stock fits me well. The trigger is on mine is rather good, the sights are better, and the bolt handle (op rod) works both ways.

And as a plus its not hard on the brass. :D

Crankylove

For a semi-auto, my ‘73 SP1.

Still bone stock, down to the aluminum Colt magazine.

Nothing fancy, not the most accurate rifle I own, just very enjoyable to shoot.

Partly due to growing up with that rifle. Can’t begin to count the the hours spent with that rifle chasing bunnies and squirrels, or the rounds sent through it. Lot of good memories with that gun.

Shadow9mm

Right now its my 6mm arc ar build. Been a ton of fun. Working up hand loads for it now. Recoils like a 223, hits the berm like a 308. Great little cartridge

rickyrick

My favorite is my Mini14, but I haven’t shot it in quite some time because the metal parts got separated from the stock. I have the metal parts but the stock is at my EX’s house and I am not interested in retrieving it. Lol.
I will probably get a replacement one day, I do have a Boyd’s laminated stock, I tried it but it wouldn’t really work, the action bound up, I’m thinking maybe you don’t need the Metal action guide installed in the Boyd’s? I’m not sure what you call that metal channel but I’m sure someone knows what it is called.

Anyway, I strayed off topic.

Mini14 is my answer.

bamaranger

Favorite semi rifle to shoot at range or steel......M1 Garand. I'm fortunate to have a rifle set up with a scoutscope, as well as one with the GI peep. A pal has property with steel to 600

Semi rifle hunted (deer) the most....old model (tube feed) Ruger .44 Carbine. Checking my notes, I've actually taken more whitetails with that dang little .44 than any of my other rifles. Largely a result of the manner and locations I hunt, thick cover from climbing tree stands.

MarkCO

My match AR15 with a Stretch16 barrel and a Gas Hog comp, AR-Gold Trigger, Cole Components Stock and a JP BCG has to go into first place of my semi-autos. It's just so accurate, soft and reliable that I have no question as to it's performance.

44 AMP

Staff
My favorite is my K&N 308 Bullpup. Compact, fast, accurate, easy on the shoulder.

Having survived a .308 case failure "blow up" in a standard bolt action, I have reservations about putting the chamber any closer to my face since then.

Also, bullpups have a different balance, and that just seems wierd, to me. not really my thing, enjoy yours, hope you never have any issues.

MarkCO

Having survived a .308 case failure "blow up" in a standard bolt action, I have reservations about putting the chamber any closer to my face since then.

Also, bullpups have a different balance, and that just seems wierd, to me. not really my thing, enjoy yours, hope you never have any issues.
Totally agree.

We had a .223 blow up, then a .308 blow up on the long range stage at RM3G this year. No injuries thankfully. With a BP...the margins are too small for my comfort.

I had an RDB, sold it.

Ricklin

Favorite semi

That would be my Walther, I like the bullpup design and am comfortable since it is just a .22.
For pretty it's the 10/22 International, but the Walther is much more accurate.