Do you have a favorite or worst gun writer?

bggwind

In fiction

I'm currently re-reading Point of Impact (the movie 'Shooter') from Stephen Hunter. Obviously the man has done his firearms research.

Long live Bob Lee Swagger...

To rub it in, I recently was given an autographed photo signed by the Sheriff himself. Thanks to some fellow Staff members, I can now brag about my new conversation piece.:D

lsevenish

Ross Seyfried-Current writer with

I noticed that no one had mentioned, atleast not that I have found, that Ross currently writes for the Double gun journal. Its not accesable online maybe, but his articles can also be found on the NRA website, and several on hrca honda website. There is also a saftey video of Ross on the remington700.tv web site.
If anyone is interested, I also have information about his ranch, Elk Song recently placed on the market.

ipscchef

I really started enjoying Gun Writers when I was younger, reading Bob Mileks stuff. I know he passed away too soon, but I have never found out why he passed so young.
From there I branched out and have enjoyed at least some things from almost all of the Writers that I have read. I am a huge fan of the late, Great Peter Hathaway Capstick. I have heard some negative things said about him, but I do not care, I have about every book he ever wrote and I still get actual goosebumps reading his books.
I really like Allen Jones, I wish he would write more about his time in Dallas.
Also just love Conner.
BTW, I believe Ross Seyfried is writing for "Gunworld"? mag these days.
I just finished Terry Wielands "Dangerous Game RIFLES, Second Edition" and it is great. Now I have to get the First Edition.

BlueTrain

I haven't been reading magazines for quite some time and I think all my favorites have passed away. Top of the list is Dean Grennell, who could have written on any subject and made it interesting to read. Only a few authors are that good. Close behind is, or rather, was, Skeeter Skelton. He didn't let his actual experiences get in the way of writing good stuff. I read very little of Elmer Keith in magazines but I have some of his books. He took himself just a little too seriously but he was still very enjoyable to read. I hear my father's voice when I read Elmer Keith.

There was also another writer, who is also gone, who wrote about interesting guns, pistols mostly. I believe he was actually a policeman somewhere in Pennsylvania but never wrote on police or gunfighting subjects.

I don't know any of the authors but some very good writing appears in Outdoor Life, although mostly the subjects are hunting rather than guns.

I have some reprints of very old army "standing orders" that give some good insights into the management of flintlock weapons but they are otherwise difficult to read and just curiosities at best.

ACP230

I met Bill Jordan and Finn Aagard at the 1988 NRA Show in Orlando.
Jordan was very pleasant to talk to. Aagard was a rude SOB.
Kind of colored my feelings about Aagard's work.

I met Masaad and Sweeney at the Second Chance Bowling Pin Shoot.
Liked both of them and their work.

chiefr

Townsend Whelen, Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Jack O'Connor, Charles Askins, Skeeter & Milek.
They told it like it is. Sadly, they are no longer with us.

What's left are mainy salesmen for various shooting products.

I liked Phil Engeldrum who authored magazines such as Magnum Power & Pistolero back in the 80s. His style was unlike all others and his magazines had no gun ads. If a gun was a turkey, Phil made sure all his readers knew it unlike the more popular gun rags. I wonder what happened to him.

IMHO, Gun tests & Amercan Rifleman are the best gun magazines today.

capnrik

Skeeter was my favorite. He never wasted a word claiming to be a hero, but he knew how to make me smile by sharing his mistakes. He lacked the ego that so influenced writers like Jeff Cooper and Charlie Askins. Instead, he relied on real life experience, common sense, and a wonderful sense of humor.

ClydeFrog

gun press writers: good & not-so good....

I've read many gun magazines, books, online media etc since the mid-1980s.
Some good, a few great and some not that hot( ;) ).
To their credit, I'm 100% sure many in the US gun press would even openly say their writing style or quality has improved in the last 20/30 years.
A few "top guns" in my book(in no real order);
Massad Ayoob, Duane Thomas, Dave Spaulding, Leroy Thompson, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Robert Sherik(check spelling) Peter Kolikis(check spelling), Clint Smith, Mike Ventino(check correct spelling).

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT;
Evan Marshall, "Chuck Taylor", Gary Paul Johnson, Jerry Aherns.
A few more US gun press writers may come to me later but these lists are what I'd say for now.

FWIW: I respect Gary Paul Johnson's views and input. He was a USMC veteran and a retired LE officer who served on the LAPD's elite SWAT unit but in recent years he's wrote statements I take issue with and he sounds "cranky" & out of sorts.
Johnson wrote in a recent gun magazine article how "most armed bank robbers are professional and do not want to kill anyone."
I don't claim to know or understand the intent of any violent criminal but I do know I have 0 faith in putting my safety or wellfare in their hands for any reason. He also railed against today's sworn LE personnel telling them to flip burgers at McDonalds if they don't like the career field or disagree with it.
I heard the same crass, condisending remarks from a nitwit US Army Lt
Colonel years ago.
Anytime you start to say things like that then it's time to hang it up. ;)

Jim March

Mas has done a LOT to explain how to deal with the aftermath of a defensive shooting - more than anybody alive. Major kudos for that and he's definitely the best in that niche...nobody else comes close or even tries.

jimbob86

Favorite, Jeff Cooper.

Least favorite..... most of the reviewers in the gun rags these days.... they seem to be in the business of peein' on my leg and telling me it's raining.

Single Six

Can't narrow it down to just one...Jan Libourel, back in his G&A days, taught me a LOT of the basics through his early '80s stuff, when I was still an inquisitive teenager. Dave Arnold [R.I.P.] as well. Nowadays, it's Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, John Connor and John Taffin...his articles are like conversations with my granddad. Can't leave out Mr. Prisbrey either.

OscarTurner

I'll just throw in a shout-out for the late Chuck Karwan. I have the 3rd Edition of Combat Handgunnery which he wrote. This book was my introduction to non-Hollywood handgun knowledge and I still refer back to it often.

RichK

Favorites-
Jeff Cooper
Elmer Keith
Finn AAgaard
Charlie Askins
Chuck Karwan
Mas Ayoob

Least favorites-
Jack O'Connor
Boddington
Venturino