Do you buy mostly new or used?

KeeperOath

New or Used, that is the Question...

If a used firearm is in good condition, I will always buy it over an eqivalent new model. I like to do minor gunsmithing myself so if the use firearm is only missing a part or a broken part, I'll likely still buy it. I like to tinker, plus it allows me to be intiment with my "Toys".

Viper99

Here are a couple of more I bought used.
The CZ P-01 I paid 425 otd, the S&W Chief Special 9 #379 and the PPS $410 otd.

By the way, for the PPS gurus, is the guide rod supposed to look like that? I just got the PPS this Thursday so I have not fired it yet.

Attachments

• gpic3 001.JPG
    gpic3 001.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 17
  • gpic3 002.JPG
    gpic3 002.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 17

HawkeyeNRAlifer

Mostly new. I really hate to dicker over prices of anything, especially firearms. I know, my loss. That's probably why I haven't traded a gun either for about ten years.

jason_iowa

For handguns almost always new. For autos always new. I would not trust someones used auto and I don't trust a new one until I have broken it in so to speak.

Plenty of good used ones out there I'm sure and I'm not saying anything bad about the one you bought or are trying to sell. Its just the way i chose to do things.

saleen322

Most of what I am looking for is no longer made so I buy a lot of used; 208 Hammerli, 52 and 952 S&W, Browning Medalist, etc. I don't know if I would buy a used plastic fantastic as too many mall ninjas "improved" them as part of their zombie preparation and new ones are available for about the same money. If you don't know much about guns, you are better off sticking to new stuff or only buy used from a dealer that offers a return option.

44 AMP

Staff
Sometimes used "problems" aren't....

A while back, I bought a used gun, with a known problem, which turned out to be a pretty good deal.

Local gunshop, w/ pistol range. The pistol was a Stoeger .22 Luger. Used (of course) it also had the box (no papers). Price was about 2/3 what these go for at gun shows, when you find them.

I checked it out, couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Conversation with the clerk revealed that they had tried the gun as a range rental, and it constantly jammed. They were very up front about it, and that was why the price was low.

I bought it. Took it home and tested it, and sure enough, it did jam, a LOT. Then, I oiled it. Jams went away.

It's amazing the number of people who think nothing of buying a used car, or any other mechanical item, but balk at buying a used gun, for fear of getting someone's else's headache. It does happen, no denying that, but I think the odds of you getting a bad used gun aren't as high as they seem. Like a lot of other things, the issues seems worse than it really is, because we only hear about the bad ones.

The advantages of buying new are obvious, the biggest is that it is new, so outside of factory defects, everything that happens is yours to own. The other advantage is that if there are issues, you have a warranty.

Is this worth the cost of new, vs. used? For many, it is. For others, its not.

tahunua001

handguns I buy new because there are never any good deals on used around here. on rifles I prefer C&Rs so I generally get used.

filthy phil

Since I have a ton of glock mags I will find a used glock for around $475 or less, buy it and sell off the mags, and im into it for $410-$430.
I know, worst case, I can get my $ back out of it.
My last one, with night sites

Got a gen4 17 and 19 same deal:D

bt380

I only buy new. I bought a new 1932 Tula Mosin Nagant that has genuine pitting from WWII or somewhere. After shooting a box of ammo, you'd think the target was hit by a shot gun. Who could survive that pattern anyway. It's a great home defense gun. It will penetrate 1/8" steel plate. I'll let it go for $1,575.99, but you will have to call it used since it didn't come from a store rack.:D

tahunua001

BT380... I had to read that post about 5 times before I realized you were being sarcastic... I'll have to steal that for the next time a mosin nagant thread pops up in the rifle boards.

IdahoG36

When I find a gun that I want to purchase, I will search locally for a nice, like new condition used one. It's a great way to save a chunk of change. I have not had an issue yet with buying a used gun. They have all been 100% reliable when I take them to the range.

Bozz10mm

I don't often buy guns, but when I do, I buy new. With used, there is always the chance that you are buying someone's lemon. There isn't much depreciation on a new gun these days anyway. Used guns seem to be selling at the LGS for right at, or just below what a new one costs. You might be able to find a pretty good deal in a private sale though.

Spats McGee

Administrator
When I buy guns, which is pretty rare, I'll buy either. I guess most of my guns have been new, but I've picked up a few used ones along the way, and never have had any problems. (Knocks on wood.)

When I feel dangerous and risky.. Like smoking a cigarette and flooring it in reverse in a Ford Pinto dangerous. I buy used and fix the hell out of them with topgunsupply.com parts.

I like both a lot.

CajunBass

Since the vast majority of guns I'm interested in aren't made anymore, I pretty much have to look used.

I did buy a Heritage Rough Rider, and a Ruger MK III Standard new in the fairly recent past, but they're the only ones I remember in years.

pete2

I buy both but I prefer to buy a good used gun, I've had better luck with used ones. It seems like the new ones always have to go back on warranty except the 10/22.

Rob62

I primarily purchase used guns. Like purchasing cars, I like the savings I get over having to purchase new. But I do not purchase used guns exclusively.

If there is a gun I can't find in good used condition, then I purchase new after doing research to see who has the best deal

Regards,

Rob

JNad

New if there is any chance what-so-ever that it might be carried.

Used for almost anything else, but I won't exclude the purchase of a new gun.