Do you buy mostly new or used?

Viper99

I started buying only new but I realized that there were a lot of good buys in the used section. Now I skip the new and go straight for the used. How about you?

DannyB1954

Mostly new, but only because what I want at the time is not available used.
The only used gun I bought was a Glock23C. I didn't like the compensator and sold it to buy a new Glock 27,(still have that one).

Quality guns properly maintained will last a lifetime.

Quentin2

It depends. If I see a deal on something used that I want and it checks out, then sure why not! I inspect a used gun closely before buying though.

45Gunner

I buy my guns new and my cars used…if I can find a good one at a decent price. If the car breaks down, it can be fixed. If the gun fails when I need it the most, nothing else matters after that.

TunnelRat

Some guns I try to buy used if I can. Take HKs for example. The thing will outlast me, and it cost the guy before me so much that ten to one he treated it like a baby. If something's wrong I have used them enough to know how to fix it.

JimmyR

I buy the vast majority of my firearms used. I have purchased 2 new firearms- a Beretta PX4, and a Ruger 10/22- for former because I wanted the DAO version and couldn't find a used one, and the 10/22 because the new price wasn't much more than the used price locally.

Everything else is used. I have a shop nearby that deals exclusively in used guns, and between that and F2F transactions, I've been really happy.

ETA

45Gunner said:
I buy my guns new and my cars used…if I can find a good one at a decent price. If the car breaks down, it can be fixed. If the gun fails when I need it the most, nothing else matters after that.

Unfortunately, you're comparing apples to oranges, or in this case, routine use with emergency use.

If my car breaks on the way to work, then it happens during a low risk situation that happens regularly. The appropriate comparasin would be a gun breaking while at the range, since, for most people, this is where your firearm will get the majority of it's usage.

Now, if my car broke down while taking my pregnant wife to the hospital, that might be a more appropriate comparasin to needing a firearm in a self defense situation.

Last edited:

ClydeFrog

2 guns....

I purchased only 2 used handguns in the past. A used Taurus 82 .38spl revolver & a decent S&W .357magnum K frame model 19.
The model 82 4" nickeled wheel gun was awful. :mad:
The S&W .357magnum was okay I just didn't care for the style & the weight.

I never owned any used pistols. I'm leery of the frame cracking or the barrel wearing out quickly :cool:.
Most modern firearms like SIGs or Glocks can be quickly re-fit to almost brand new condition. New match grade barrels, new springs, new grips, new sights, etc.

Most of my semi-autos were high end brands that had 0 problems.

Sevens

I have a really, really difficult time finding much of anything out there that is brand new that I really, truly want. And when that does happen, I'd much rather find a pre-owned version of exactly that. Definitely "never say never", but I can tell you purely as a matter of fact that I simply do -not- ever look at new guns in just about any gun store I ever visit. Just no interest in new guns at new gun prices.

Sure, I still buy a new one on occasion. When I got my GSG 1911-22 a couple years ago, I bought that new. When I bought my daughter her first pistol (Ruger SR-22), I got that one new. But if someone had a crystal ball and could see my future and they told me that it'd be a decade before the next *new* handgun I bought... it would be easy for me to believe them.

SHE3PDOG

I buy revolvers used and semis new. The vast majority of my guns are used though because I'm really in to milsurp.

ejfalvo

Initially all I bought was new. Now as I have a better idea on "what to look for" and that there are some very desirable pre-used options, I selectively buy pre-owned if something catches my eye.

Picked up a pre-owned Sig P245 this week.

dayman

It depends on what I want and what I can find.
The used market is limited around here, so I generally wind up buying new..

sigarms228

Mostly new. Exceptions of course for models no longer made available such as German made classic P series SIGs.

I recently purchased some new HKs and paid new online what LGS wanted for used. I like the peace of mind that comes with a new firearm knowing that no junior gunsmith has practiced on it or someone tried to give it a 25 cent trigger job and everything I buy has had a lifetime warranty. I also tend to keep all mine.

Last edited:

PSP

I buy mostly used gun because that's where some great deals are found. I buy new when I bump into a great deal or I'm going to carry it, or it's a low end gun like a Bersa.
I can recall 8 new guns.
About 40 used.

Ryu825

I've bought mostly new so far. The few used ones I have are more like certified preowned, for example, my latest acquisition. I was gonna buy a pro series 686 revolver new but was wondering if I should really spend that much, then I saw a used one a week later after I decided yes I want it. So now I have a choice between shiny new gun or the same gun that appeared to have had maybe 200 rds through it before being sold for $110 less. I didn't see any actual cosmetic damage and I clean every gun I buy first thing anyway so I went ahead and saved myself $110 and turned it into what appears to be a shiny new gun :D

4runnerman

Never bought a used rifle or pistol and never will. See no need to. I like knowing what has gone down the barrel. silly- maybe,but i am 52 I can be that way:D

g.willikers

There's two types of guns that probably would be better buying new.
1911s and ARs, due to the number of home gunsmithed ones out there.

Tom68

I buy mostly new. Anyone following my FEG P9R thread probably know why...

Lesson learned though: be more discriminating when inspecting a used firearm before I buy. If I'm not allowed to disassemble it before making a decision, then I probably don't need it that badly.