Do you adjust your rear sight?

BearBrimstone

I make adjustments so rarely that I usually forget that some of my pistols have adjustable sights. I prefer sights that are not adjustable that way I don't have to worry about if someone else shoots my pistol and adjusts the sights without telling me making its POI different than I'm accustomed to.

Real Gun

themalicious0ne:

Real Gun,

I dont think any of us want a gun that didnt shoot poa to poi. Maybe unless it is something that cant be fixed. I can tell you though that all of my guns that have adjustable sights, when I aim dont the sight, I ring dead center when I do my part. I havent had a NEED to adjust the sights.

Often times when you hear about someone adjusting the sights they say they shoot low left or something of the like and ask if they should adjust their sights. Most of us say to have someone proficient shoot the gun and check. Why would you adjust the sights to make up for fundamental shooting error when you could practice and become proficient with your weapon and shoot straight, rather than adjust the sights for poor trigger discipline.

Now if I shoot all my guns correctly and I have one that is off and other people shoot it and it is off, I will adjust. But sometimes you see these sights that are so far left or right to adjust and it is the shooter not the gun.

It all depends on if the sights have to be moved due to the shooter or due to the actual gun. Huge difference. Not to mention, if they are moved to the left or right you will be much further off at other ranges.

The conclusions from my experience do not match yours. If I have any doubts about my shooting, I check the gun shot from a rest. I typically go to the range with 8 or more guns. Some shoot great with sights unmolested. Others are adjusted for being off either in elevation or windage, always shooting at 50 feet. Then there is the bullet weight factor in my reloads.

tipoc

I adjust as needed.

But once set for a load that I'm using in a specific gun for a specific purpose then I normally let it be.

tipoc

old bear

I will use the sight adjustment option, only after I make sure my grip, stance, trigger pull, are correct. Then I will attempt to fine tune the sights. Once everything is working as well as I can get it to work, I leave the sights alone.

Every revolver I own is much more accurate than I am.

tipoc

Here's an example of something...

Well, how bullet weight effects point of impact. These were shot at 10 yards, single action from a Weaver stance (more or less) using a 4" S&W M681. 6'o'clock hold.

The upper target was shot with S&B 158 gr. TMJ. 14 rds.

The lower 18 rds. of Sig 125 gr. jhp.

(The middle target another gun doing something else. Not relevant here)

If we cut these two groups out and laid them on top of each other (discounting my self induced flyers) you'd see that the center of the two groups is maybe less than 2" from each other. Which is maybe a bit more than I'd get with some other ammo of two different weights from the same gun.

In self defense shooting this would make no significant difference. This is especially the case as I'd be more likely shooting da and fast and moving as whatever I'm shooting at moves.

It would also make little to no difference in many of the combat oriented shooting sports or CAS.

Extend that out to 25 yards and the centers of the two groups would be maybe 3-4" maybe a bit more. At 50 yards an uncomfortable bit more.That difference will vary on the ammo used as well.

To adjust, I could change my point of aim, especially with a favorite load in a favorite fixed sight gun. With adjustable sights, well adjust them.

In some shooting sports like Bullseye or IMSHA and in handgun hunting adjustable sights are a powerfully useful thing. They are also useful in trying out different loads.

With a fixed sight you can choose the load, or cook up one, that does what you want it to do with a particular handgun.

If you choose a gun and load for specific tasks the type of sights on it are a factor to consider. Both types have their strengths.

tipoc

Last edited:

dgludwig

Unless I plan on carrying a pistol in my pocket or some other "deep cover" area or I want to keep a handgun looking "traditional" (i.e., a Colt 1873 sa or a German Luger), I prefer all of my handguns to have adjustable sights; some of the reasons to include: I shoot Bullseye, compete in various "combat" action events and hunt with handguns; many times with the same pistol expected to have a point of impact to coincide with the point of aim in terms of elevation settings, while using ammunition having different bullet weights and/or powder charges. Too, I have more than a few times gotten handguns from the factory having grossly misaligned sights. Finally, more often than not, adjustable sights are easier to see and aim with.

Drawbacks to adjustable sights include: they can snag on clothing during a draw from, say a pocket, when seconds might count in self-defense. They tend to be bulkier than fixed sights. They generally cost more. And, finally, though some argue that they are more fragile than fixed sights, in my experience, this criticism is much over-wrought in reality.

As tipoc noted, there is a place and reason for either type of sight.