Do you adjust your rear sight?

Bob Wright

And, four clicks windage change:

Now, I don't have to remember, when shooting this gun, to hold 1 1/2" left of center. Now matter which gun I'm shooting, all have the same aiming point.

Bob Wright

Real Gun

OP: I am so used to shooting fixed sights that I don't even consider an adjustable sighted revolver to be have an advantage.

I guess I should have been a little bit more precise in my original question.

Do you adjust the rear sight, after an initial sighting in?

You moved the goal posts, because your original premise seemed to ask whether one would buy adjustable sights. I cannot personalize a gun without adjustable sights, and barring a change in load, no...I don't have to revisit the setting once dialed in.

The thing with fixed sights is that extreme precision is not intended, although becoming very familiar with a gun's peculiarities makes it possible to fire it with great accuracy.

RickB

Windage should never change, so that's a one-time deal unless you are going to shoot all day in a constant wind.
I don't have many handguns with screw-adjustable sights, but I rarely change the adjustment after getting them to place the bullets right on top of the front sight at ten yards.
My targets are almost always large, 6"-8", and I rarely shoot at distances of more than 25 yards, so I rarely have to worry about elevation.
If I changed to a radically different load, then an adjustment might be necessary, but I've left sights alone for years and ten thousand or more rounds.

themalicious0ne

Now that you mention it, I have never adjusted a handgun sight. Half of my handguns are not adjustable and the other half always have the poi right at the poa.

I did have one gun that I couldn't adjust that I would have liked to.

You moved the goal posts, because your original premise seemed to ask whether one would buy adjustable sights. I cannot personalize a gun without adjustable sights, and barring a change in load, no...I don't have to revisit the setting once dialed in.

Not really. I buy revolvers with adjustable sights as well as fixed sights. I just happen to own more that have fixed sights. But if I find a real classic Smith or Colt with adjustable sights, I will buy it.

Here is an example. A .22 Colt Officer's Model Target made in 1935. This revolver has a relatively unusual arrangement for adjusting the sights. The rear sight is only adjustable for windage by turning the screw either direction.

Officers%20Model%20Target%2022%2003_zps0ojkuwbj.jpg

For elevation there is a screw in the base of the front sight that raises or lowers the blade.

Officers%20Model%20Target%2022%20Front%20Sight_zpsyo0fldbh.jpg

What I was really trying to get at was whether folks take advantage of the adjustable sights and actually adjust them. I fine tuned the question because I realized that I will often adjust the rear sight for me the first time I take a revolver to the range. I mentioned that in the first post.

What it seems from the answers I have gotten is a few shooters readjust the sights regularly, to optimize performance with various loads, but most shooters seem to be like me. Adjust the sights once for the load they usually shoot, and then they don't touch the sights again.

For what it's worth, when I took that Colt to the range for the first time I did bring along a tiny screw driver to adjust the sights, but it turned out it shot right to point of aim for me, so I did not adjust the sights.

While we're on the subject. The standard adjustable sights on a Smith & Wesson revolver have been the way they are for a pretty long time. Since shortly before WWII IIRC. But if you have a really old one, you need to bring along a really tiny screw driver if you want to adjust the sights.

This M&P Target Model (the precurser to both the K-38 and the Model 14) was made around 1917. There are two adjustment screws for windage, you loosen the one on the side you want the sight to move to, then you tighten the other one, shoving the sight over. Then you snug up the first screw.

MP%20target%20small%20sight%20adjustment%20screw_zps9fschxmy.jpg

This K-38 from 1950 has the modern 'click adjustable' rear sight we are all familiar with. This style of rear sight has always come with a nice big, easy to adjust screw.

k%2038%20rear%20sight%20screw_zpsq8apmyto.jpg

fotojake

I sold a Ruger NM Blackhawk because the rear sights wiggled (one of the reasons) and it drove me nuts. Specifically bought a Model 64 so I wouldn't have to deal with rear sight adjustment, just learning where to aim with 38 spcl 158 grain ammo and be done with it.

CajunBass

I suppose at some point in my life I have adjusted a pistols sights, but generally speaking I don't. Most of my guns come to me used and it seems the sights are usually right where I want them.

Now, I admit that I don't change loads, or shoot at anything very far away. I just figure if I miss, it was my fault.

micromontenegro

Do you really take advantage of that adjustable rear sight

Oh yes I do, but not always by adjusting them. To me, the real advantage of adjustable sights in revolvers is their visibility. As my eyes age, I can't really see well most fixed ones.

Does anyone really not care whether their POA and POI match?

I think I already answered that. With a fixed sight revolver, if I am plinking at soup cans on the 25 yard berm, I will hold appropriately so I know where the bullet will go. My life does not depend on hitting the can with the first shot, I am just fooling around. I have no problem taking a couple of shots to zero in on the hold needed for that pistol at that range.

I have WAY too many revolvers with fixed sights to start messing around filing down front sights and turning barrels to get them to shoot exactly to point of aim. Just not going to do that.

RickB

I couldn't be bothered to mess with a gun that didn't hit where it's pointed.
As a buddy who spent time on a Russian fishing boat said, "Everyone strokes differently".

vba

Driftwood;

I do as you do. Make an adjustment the first range session with the load that will be used most frequently and then never adjust the rear sight again.

This has prompted me to go with the Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt. I've since sold my .45 Blackhawk.

I did buy a Ruger .45 Colt Redhawk (4.2") recently and with my handloads (255 grain with 10 grains of Unique) there was no adjustment necessary.

themalicious0ne

Real Gun,

I dont think any of us want a gun that didnt shoot poa to poi. Maybe unless it is something that cant be fixed. I can tell you though that all of my guns that have adjustable sights, when I aim dont the sight, I ring dead center when I do my part. I havent had a NEED to adjust the sights.

Often times when you hear about someone adjusting the sights they say they shoot low left or something of the like and ask if they should adjust their sights. Most of us say to have someone proficient shoot the gun and check. Why would you adjust the sights to make up for fundamental shooting error when you could practice and become proficient with your weapon and shoot straight, rather than adjust the sights for poor trigger discipline.

Now if I shoot all my guns correctly and I have one that is off and other people shoot it and it is off, I will adjust. But sometimes you see these sights that are so far left or right to adjust and it is the shooter not the gun.

It all depends on if the sights have to be moved due to the shooter or due to the actual gun. Huge difference. Not to mention, if they are moved to the left or right you will be much further off at other ranges.

Often times when you hear about someone adjusting the sights they say they shoot low left or something of the like and ask if they should adjust their sights. Most of us say to have someone proficient shoot the gun and check. Why would you adjust the sights to make up for fundamental shooting error when you could practice and become proficient with your weapon and shoot straight, rather than adjust the sights for poor trigger discipline.

Good point.

I can't tell you how many adjustable sighted revolvers I have bought used that had the rear sight shoved over to the right a bit. To me, that means the owner before me was probably right handed and he was probably pushing his shots to the left because of poor trigger technique.

But I have been known to push my shots to the left too, so I can't throw too many stones.

Pathfinder45

Driftwood, don't you have one or two favorite revolvers with fixed sights?
Adjustable sights are the best way to go for most shooters for the obvious reason. Also most adjustable sighted revolvers come with a much better front sight than the typical fixed sighted revolver. It takes work to make that front sight acceptable. But it's worth it for a favorite revolver that will be used the most. It's worth it to me, but being a minimalist, I currently only have one revolver and it gets a lot of use. So I suggest you select one revolver, get a file, and stop foolin' around.;)

Ricklin

Used guns

Seems like the used guns I get have been "adjusted" by someone who closes one eye when shooting.
Mine get adjusted if needed on the first range trip, I don't fool with em after that.

Hawg

I have one revolver with adjustable sights. Never messed with it. All the rest are fixed. Only have two that are DA and it's one of them.

saleen322

I commonly adjust the sights throughout a match. When you go from the 50 meter line to the 200 meter line in a silhouette match, you need to adjust. Lighting conditions will create a need to adjust sights, "Light up-sight up, light down-sight down." Even going from the slow fire stage at 50 yards to the timed-rapid at 25; I need to adjust my sights. Even different ammo will create a need to adjust.

freedom475

Good point.

I can't tell you how many adjustable sighted revolvers I have bought used that had the rear sight shoved over to the right a bit. To me, that means the owner before me was probably right handed and he was probably pushing his shots to the left because of poor trigger technique.

But I have been known to push my shots to the left too, so I can't throw too many stones.

There is more involved than just trigger fundamentals to cause right handed shooter to "hit" left..

The torque from bullet and rifling engagement.
The presence of an entire hand on the right grip panel vs. just a thumb on the left, and this will change as recoil changes speed or intensity....but it almost always causes an off center hit to the left of the target.

I also find that (as my eyes age) if I forget myself and focus on the target instead of the front sight, I hit quite left if I let this happen.

Adjustable sights are nice...If a fixed sight gun hits left/right, she goes down the road real quickly. Just no use for a gun that doesn't hit where it is pointed.

100 yards over the pickup hood with "Old reliable".... 7 1/2" SBH shooting a solid copper 200gr. Cutting Edge Raptor. Sure couldn't shoot like this at distance if the gun can't/isn't sighted in.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Driftwood, don't you have one or two favorite revolvers with fixed sights?
Adjustable sights are the best way to go for most shooters for the obvious reason. Also most adjustable sighted revolvers come with a much better front sight than the typical fixed sighted revolver. It takes work to make that front sight acceptable. But it's worth it for a favorite revolver that will be used the most. It's worth it to me, but being a minimalist, I currently only have one revolver and it gets a lot of use. So I suggest you select one revolver, get a file, and stop foolin' around.

Howdy Again

If you look real close at the front sight on the Stainless Vaquero at the top of this photo, you will see I filed down the sight a bit to bring the point of impact up to the point of aim.

stainlessvaqueros.jpg

Same with this one.

Vaquero.jpg

This pair of 2nd Gen Colts are my usual Main Match pistols in CAS. If you look real carefully at the front sight of the bottom one you will see a stripe of shiny metal where somebody actually added some metal because the sight had been filed down too low.

colts_04_zps778f0729.jpg

But the bottom line for me, as I have already said, is for CAS it really does not matter if I am hitting with pinpoint accuracy where I am pointing the gun. The targets are big, and you either hit it or you don't. No extra points for accuracy. And plinking at tin cans on the 25 yard berm, the same story.

I ain't going to tell you how many revolvers with fixed sights I own, but it is a whole lot. And I am not going to start filing front sights on all of them.

I will tell you that a couple of months ago I picked up nice S&W Model 15. A nice 4" 38 Special revolver with adjustable sights. When I bought it I could see that somebody had been filing on the front sight, but how bad could it be, I thought.

When I took it to the range, the front sight had been filed down so low that I could not get the gun to shoot anywhere near the point of aim, no matter what I did. It was shooting way high. The rear sight was already cranked down all the way, and there was nothing I could do to bring that pistol anywhere near the point of aim. The only way that gun could be sighted in properly would be to weld some more metal onto the front sight.

That one is probably going to do down the pike shortly.