defensive cartridges that have stood the test of time

Hal

Tough call - I'd have to go w/the 9x19 though.
I't far from my ideal - but -
There's a wider assortment of platforms for it that fit me &/or that I have confidence in.

Single Six

If I'm carrying an auto, it's a .45 ACP. If I'm in a revolver mood that day, it's a .45 Colt mated with my 4" Redhawk. Still not carrying it CCW due to lack of night sights, but it's great for HD.

Onward Allusion

Wow! After 40-something posts and no one mentioned the 9x18 Makarov?

Of course the 45ACP, 38 Spl, 357 mag, & 9mm are old standards as well.

44 AMP

Staff
Which one have stood the test of time?

Pretty much all of them, they're still in production.

And nowdays, you can even get ammo for nearly all the "obsolete" ones, too. But it costs a bit.

Rounds like the .38 S&W and .455 Webley aren't mainstream defensive calibers in the US today, but you can still get them.

I don't think the .327 federal mag has been around long enough yet.

Well, in the short time it has been marketed, the 327 MAG has eclipsed the 38 Special and 9mm for penetration by 3-4 inches, while generating nearly the same expansion with 115 grain rounds.

kgpcr

.45acp. Stood us through WWI WWII Korea Vietnam and countless other engagements. It NEVER let us down.

aryfrosty

Ammo

Which .45 are you referring to? .45 Colt, .45 Schofield, .45acp, .45 magnum?
I believe we all understand that nothing is fail safe where ammo is concerned. I do, however, have a little difficulty absorbing your "fact" that a 12 gauge failed to stop a person with a chest shot at 5 feet.
I will personally attest that a .45acp is pretty good and dependable for a handgun. My late Father gave me my first 1911 when I was 12 years old and I have carried and used the round since. For many years I carried a 1911 Government Model and Combat Commander on duty. As long as you don't ask it to do everything it is dependable.

PT-92

Really this cannot be anything other than subjective in nature (ballistics are scientific but not empirical) and all of the aforementioned posts have definite merit. I too will say the 9mm is the happy medium. That being said, there's something to be said about the so called 'mouse' guns. My BUG is a Beretta Bobcat 21A .22lr with eight rounds of CCI Stingers (feeds like butter). I often think the small calibers are derisively dismissed (just MHO).

-Happy Holidays

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I love my big boomers but my 357 bedside gun has 38 spcl cartridges with 158 gr Kieth style LSWC bullets loaded.

Shadi Khalil

It's between the .38spcl and the 9mm for me. Between all the different load options and being controllable/effective, I can see why those two have been around so long. The .357 and .45 are another two that have stuck around but I are not as conducive to smaller packages. I would love to carry a small .45 (1911) or .357 but I've had bad experiences with the former and the latter is just too difficult to shoot accurately in a small lightweight package (IMO). Aside from carry, the 9mm and .38 spcl are great for duty weapons, HD and plain old plinking.