defensive cartridges that have stood the test of time

Kreyzhorse

Is there really any cartridge that tops the .38 Smith & Wesson Special?

It is powerful and can be chambered in small, reliable snub nose revolvers. That platform has really stood the test of time. Snubs aren't as popular as they used to be, but, they still sell and I don't expect that will change.

insaneranger

I prefer to carry my .45 acp +P because I'm most comfortable with that pistol, but I also like the capacity & penetration of my 9mm. No caliber war here. All the calibers listed in the OP have proven to be equally effective in the right hands, but these are the only "oldies" I have. :D

WESHOOT2

I guess I'm an old-timer now, too

Of those mentioned, I much prefer (and go in harm's way with) the 9x19.
Mostly as loaded by me.

2damnold4this

Another cartridge I can think of that's been around for over one hundred years and is used for self defense in handguns is the .410 shot shell. It won't make my list of favorites but some seem to like it.

Water-Man

The .38spl.. With new ammo such as the Gold Dot HP 135gr.+P, Win. Ranger 130gr. +P Bonded, Buffalo Bore etc. and the old standby FBI load, the old .38 can still hold its own.

BillCA

7.62x25 Tokarev

An 85 grain .30 caliber pill moving at 1700 fps produces over 570 ft-lbs. Put a quality JHP on that bullet and it'll do some serious damage.

I have an irrational fondness for the .32 S&W Long cartridge and in modern guns it can be handloaded to something better than whacking someone with a 2x4.

Shotgun693

I carry a .45 Colt. If the bullet expands it's great, if it doesn't I'm still putting nearly a 1/2 inch hole in the target. I've worked enough shooting to never stake my life on any round less than a .38/9mm.

2damnold4this

40 S&W has 20 yrs..... is that long enough?

It's probably the only cartridge less than 100 years old that is consistently in the top five selling centerfire handgun cartridges.

Edit to add: forgot the .357 mag

Last edited:

Black_Sheep

The .45 ACP and the .38 Special have both been around for 100+ years and no doubt account for a lot of dead bad guys. As popular as they are, both will probably still be around in another 100 years...

insaneranger

40 S&W has 20 yrs..... is that long enough?

I used to think I would never want a pistol in .40 S&W, but somehow, I ended up buying three of them this year. ;) I still carry my .45 acp most of the time (big caliber=big hole), but those .40's are pretty impressive.

skoro

What is your favorite old timer when it comes to defensive handgun cartridges and why?

Mine is the 38spl. It can be carried in very compact lightweight pocket revolvers and with modern +P rounds, it packs quite a wallop.

briandg

I always liked the .38 acp/super. A person with arthritis who can't handle the .45 could have a govt model in a slightly lesser recoiling weapon, with almost the power of a .357, and far better ballistics than an equivalent .38 special.

Modern ammunition puts that cartridge into a class of it's own, and it deserves a lot more respect.

How would it compare to the .40 s&w in penetration and damage, and overall effectiveness I wonder?

mrray13

Mine is the 38spl. It can be carried in very compact lightweight pocket revolvers and with modern +P rounds, it packs quite a wallop.

Though others said it, this sums it up best for me.

Followed closely by the .45acp, which I carry daily on duty, and the 9mm, which I carry when off duty.

Also love the .357, although not 100 yet, it'll easily reach it, and it's still considered the benchmark for most.

mongo356

Red Dog 40 S&W has 20 yrs..... is that long enough?

Can we count the 38-40WCF it's been around for a good long while? It's the ballistic twin to the 40s&w (after you factor the barrel length for most 38-40WCF vs 40s&w )

MikeNice81

I carry the 9x19. It has stood the test of time. With modern 147gr hps like the Ranger Bonded, Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST it performs very well.