Decockers without Safeties

notofnow

Both my da/sa pistols have decockers, one with safety and the other without. Don't use the safety and doesn't matter as i see it as an option. The striker fires i own do have safeties, wished they had decockers instead like the Walther P99.

Skans

I can only speak for my G22, but you only have to release the trigger until it resets...

Glock lovers always say this. My main firearm is a Glock 17 that I've had for almost 20 years. I've done everything possible to make the trigger on it one that I actually like...I still hate the Glock trigger. I like the trigger on 1911's and a Glock trigger will never, NEVER come close.

A perfect handgun, in my opinion would be a DA/SA that replicates a good quality 1911's trigger in Single Action with no safety-dingus on the trigger, but with the reliability and durability of a Glock....without looking anything like a Glock. I'm not asking for too much, am I?:D

Ken - Oh

as I said before my ingrained draw technique after years of shooting 1911 style guns is to sweep the safety down.With a gun like a ruger P-89 with a decocker/safety I have to think "don't hit the safety-don't hit the safety-don't hit the safety"
I don't mind that too much at a competetion or fun time at the range.
I won't carry one.

Agreed. And having ONE process is why I bought a full sized 1911 to complement the compact 1911 and replace the Sig P220 as an alternate carry gun.

but, why do so many people prefer DA/SA over DAO? it just seems to me that DAO is the answer to any decocking/safety problems.

You are right about a consistent trigger pull. But that long trigger pull can affect accuracy. If I want a consistent, long trigger pull, I'll use a revolver (which I do when I want a very easily concealable firearm.) If I want a consistent, short trigger, I carry my 1911s.

I do not feel a need for a safety unless one is carrying "cocked and locked", which I do. Beyond that, I prefer the simple "pull trigger, gun goes boom". I looked over my gun collection. Besides the single action 1911/BHPs, the only guns that have safeties are the .22s and the CZ-75B, where I never use the safety. The rest of the collection are either revolvers or Sigs. I'm satisfied.

rantingredneck

I have one decock only gun (P97) and two manual safety/decock guns (P90,P345). I could care less either way. My first handgun was a P89 and I've always trained to sweep the safety up on the draw. That all being said, I mostly carry revolvers these days. The ultimate in point and click simplicity :).

=Wolfman=

Skans said:
A perfect handgun, in my opinion would be a DA/SA that replicates a good quality 1911's trigger in Single Action with no safety-dingus on the trigger, but with the reliability and durability of a Glock....without looking anything like a Glock. I'm not asking for too much, am I?

That would be the P99 AS (or as close to it as you can get).

Satanic Toaster

my carry guns alternate between a Security Six and a Beretta 92G. Neither have safeties and I like that fact. The safety is my trigger finger, and that is the way it should be.

DRSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
A perfect handgun, in my opinion would be a DA/SA that replicates a good quality 1911's trigger in Single Action with no safety-dingus on the trigger, but with the reliability and durability of a Glock....without looking anything like a Glock. I'm not asking for too much, am I?

That would be the P99 AS (or as close to it as you can get).
Or a Px4, if your hand is too big for the P99.

roman3

Or a Px4, if your hand is too big for the P99.

That would have to be the PX4 C models as the others have the "safety-dingus" except the D model which would not be a single action pull.

BlueTrain

To answer the question as to why people don't seem to like double-action only type pistols (whether that's true or not is another question), one reason might be that there seem to be fewer available. Here I'm not including Glock and Glock-type actions, which is sort of in between. Although I've fired one, I don't own one, the Kahr may be a true double action only automatic.

Browning sold the BDM for a while that gave the option of switching from DAO to DA/SA. It was not a small gun but it was one of the thinnest 9mm pistols I know of.

Double action revolvers of course offer the option of single action or double action and a few have been double action only. At one time there was a fad of teaching to use double action revolvers as single actions all the time, meaning always cocking the hammer before each shot, and this was even for police use. I couldn't say how widely accepted that was but I suspect that it was one of those practices that came from target shooting where it worked well and someone thought that belonged in combat shooting because it was more accurate. I also suspect that attitude persists. But anyway, revolvers really did have long trigger pulls in DA mode and the Colts were especially stiff, especially toward the end of the pull. Revolvers started to appear more with target hammers and triggers (both wider) along with target sights. When was the last time you saw a trigger shoe?

fyimo

I have several Sig's and only two have safeties and they are the SAO version which is single action only. I prefer them for shooting as I was raised on 1911's and Browning HP and I carried them cocked and locked all the time. That said my current carry gun is a P228 with a decocker only.