Decockers without Safeties

BigJimP

I have Sigs - with decockers and no safeties / am I going to replace them with something with a safety - No.

My primary carry weapon is a 1911 5" in .45 acp / that I carry cocked and locked ( with a safety obviously ). I don't have a problem carrying a Sig with a decocker ....but a full sized Sig 226 is a wider gun than I prefer to carry ...but not because it has no safety ...

Rich Miranda

My Rugers all have decockers with safeties. I ended up with the safety mostly by chance when I bought my first gun, but then I decided that I liked the idea of a safety.

The other thing is that the Ruger decocker without a safety just looks ugly to me. Maybe I'm just used to it the other way.

These are the guns with and without safeties:

(WITH)
Ruger_P90.jpg

(WITHOUT)
p89db.gif

Ken - Oh

The other problem (IMO) with the Ruger safety is that it is backward to most (but not all) other guns. Not a good situation if you have it engaged in an emergency.

Skans

I fail to see any difference between a decocker only and decocer w/safety. I have several of each design. The safety is an optional feature - it doesn't get in your way and if you want it for any reason, it's there. Unless you are trying to make a political or moral statement about safeties, I just don't see the fuss about decocker only v. decocker safety. I'd be more concerned about feel and function of the da/sa trigger.

mavracer

it doesn't get in your way and if you want it for any reason,
as I said before my ingrained draw technique after years of shooting 1911 style guns is to sweep the safety down.With a gun like a ruger P-89 with a decocker/safety I have to think "don't hit the safety-don't hit the safety-don't hit the safety"
I don't mind that too much at a competetion or fun time at the range.
I won't carry one.

Skans

as I said before my ingrained draw technique after years of shooting 1911 style guns is to sweep the safety down.With a gun like a ruger P-89 with a decocker/safety I have to think "don't hit the safety-don't hit the safety-don't hit the safety"
I don't mind that too much at a competetion or fun time at the range.

Ok, that makes sense - if you are trained on a 1911, then I can see why the decocker/safety might be a problem on some guns.

nolaOE800

this is probably going to make it very apparent that I still have alot of learning to do...

but, why do so many people prefer DA/SA over DAO? it just seems to me that DAO is the answer to any decocking/safety problems.

the only gun that I am very familiar with is Glock and with the internal firing pin safety, I'm not concerned at all with having a round chambered. I think you'd have to try pretty hard to "accidentally" pull the trigger. I'm not talking trash at all... I just don't understand why so many hate DAO. I personally don't like single action for anything but range practice, but as I already stated, I'm not a very experienced handgunner.

roman3

I like decockers only or no safeties, however I would and have buy a gun that had a safety on it. Just prefer no safetys. But to many great guns were made with safeties.

I have had many decockers only:

Beretta 92 G (old Indiana state police gun)
Beretta PX4 (came as an F added the stealth decockers which made it a G)
Walther P4 (updated/modified P38)
Smith and Wesson 1076
Sig 220
CZ 75 BD
CZ 75 PCR

Of course I have owned a whole lot more guns with safeties than without.

Last edited:

roman3

but, why do so many people prefer DA/SA over DAO? it just seems to me that DAO is the answer to any decocking/safety problems.

DAO's often have tooooo long of a trigger pull. This is the usual complaint for those who don't like them.

I have had a few and did not like them.

nolaOE800

I can only speak for my G22, but you only have to release the trigger until it resets, which is probably around the halfway point of trigger travel. so if you get good at it, you cut your trigger pull in half for every shot, but if you screw up, then that's one trigger pull that you have to do all over again because you didn't release it quite enough, and I could definitely understand how, in a defensive situation, that could be the difference between dead or alive.

Until I shoot something that I'm even more comfortable with (which has been impossible to find, thus far) then I'll stick with DAO. again.. NOT talking trash, just opinions.

now, if they would just come out with a gun that had single action trigger pull, in a double action format, then that would be the best, and ultimately, most illegal gun ever conceived!

P97

Thanks for all the Replies. Seeing all of them brings up a question in my mind. I think we will all agree that the firing pin block is a good safety feature that works. With the exception of it, which is safer: no safety, one safety, or multi-safeties? I feel as safe with a Decocker and no safety, as I would if one had 10 safeties. How about you? :D

NWCP

The only pistols I own that have a decocker and no safety would be the Walther P5. Still one of the best Walther pistols ever made IMHO. There's nothing wrong with safeties especially when carrying cocked and locked.

Rich Miranda

I am the opposite. I have almost no experience with 1911s and lots with Rugers. So, I guess the important thing is to train with what you carry/use.

mavracer

Ok, that makes sense - if you are trained on a 1911, then I can see why the decocker/safety might be a problem on some guns.
Yep,but I swear I'm going to make an exception, if I ever have an occasion that I have to wear a Tux and am staying in relativly "safe" terratory I'm gonna carry my Walther PP. 007 LOL
I feel as safe with a Decocker and no safety, as I would if one had 10 safeties. How about you?
Yep hammer down DA trigger and a FPB is good-to-go.
So, I guess the important thing is to train with what you carry/use.
Ding ding ding quoted for importance.

colospgsAVID

The decocker SA/DA

It's the essence of a DA/SA pistol IMHO. Striker fired aside. I prefer this battery of arms over the classic SAO cocked and locked style. I think it has more to do with training and not so much safety for most people. They are both safe. I kinda feel it may be easier to dislodge or break the mechanical barrier between the hammer and firing pin in a SAO battery.The hammer is hanging out in the open, this could give it some momentum. I see it as easier to just squeeze the trigger and take up the long DA pull without much thought(not having to sweep off the safety). In addition I think the mechanical barrier of a hammer that is dropped will be inherently more durable. One more note is that one who is in a stressed situation will probably sweep off the safety and possibly put their finger inside the trigger guard. This will give them a light pull that could discharge unintentionally.

Plus in a Hail Mary situation a double strike might be mighty handy.
I'll pull the trigger again in less than a tenth the time of a tap rack bang... if that don't work...well you know.

Last edited:

colospgsAVID

I prefer no safety. Lots of pistols have'em but don't need'em. IE all striker fired examples. Notably the SR9.
DAO gives the same pull each time. Heavy but a compromise. still not a fan. If I've got a loaded chamber it's gonna be hammer down.

Last edited:

gyvel

The Astra A75, while a bit on the weighty side (it's all steel), is a nice little compact gun that is a decocker.

colospgsAVID

The only DAO I like is my LCP. Rack the slide let it ride. It takes a swift pull but it's accurate!

By the way no safety. Just a long DA pull.

Last edited: