Decockers without Safeties

P97

How many of you have Decockers without safeties and do you plan to replace them with Safety Models?

I have 3 Decocker models without safeties and wish I had more. I intend to keep them and possibly acquire more. :)

I prefer the Decocker DA/SA for a CCW.

twhidd

My carry gun is a Sig P239. It has a decocker only setup. I never really minded either way. All my other guns have the decocker/safety lever.

BlueTrain

I have two double action autos. One is a Walther P5, which has a decocker that is not a safety, and I like it just fine the way it is. The other is a CZ, which is a double action and has a safety that only functions when the hammer is cocked. There is no hammer drop. I'm not wild about it. I have also owned a Glock and while I liked it (a little on the square side, though), I didn't think the safety was enough to make me happy with the chamber loaded.

None of the guns I've every owned have gone off by themselves but if I went looking for something else today it would either be a Ruger .45 (because I have plenty of .45 ammo) or perhaps a Sig or Kahr in 9mm (because I like the trigger arrangements and I also have plenty of 9mm).

The real problem is what to give up to have something else.

I can't carry a double/single gun whether it has a drop safety or not (not that I would want one on a double action first shot). I don't fire my concealed carry as much as I'd like to and I find that I fire two instead of one. I have heard from lawyers that the second mistake shot is the cause of a lot of civil litigation. You'd never get a negligent homicide on the second shot from the criminal side, but from the civil side, where they don't have to have a unanimous jury, it can get people in trouble. Cops can carry Sig 226s, Beretta 92s etc., but they have statutory limited liability. We don't, and it's not a risk I am willing to take.

TheNev

I have a CZ P-01. I haven't carried it yet, but I plan to eventually.

My carry piece is a Walther PPK/s. I carry that with a round in the chamber, decocked and safe off. I prefer a heavy DA pull for a first shot without having to turn off a safety.

P97

I can't carry a double/single gun whether it has a drop safety or not (not that I would want one on a double action first shot). I don't fire my concealed carry as much as I'd like to and I find that I fire two instead of one. I have heard from lawyers that the second mistake shot is the cause of a lot of civil litigation. You'd never get a negligent homicide on the second shot from the criminal side, but from the civil side, where they don't have to have a unanimous jury, it can get people in trouble. Cops can carry Sig 226s, Beretta 92s etc., but they have statutory limited liability. We don't, and it's not a risk I am willing to take.
If anyone can't fire one double action shot with a Auto without firing a second shot, then they had better get a Single Action Revolver.

hoytinak

I use to like a DA/SA for CC/HD but all mine know are DAO. I even converted my USPc that was DA/SA w/manual safety (which I never used the safety, just decocked it and carried on) to LEM. Things just seem alot simpler (is that even a word? :eek:) this way.

=Wolfman=

In general I would not advocate carrying a handgun with the manual safety on. If you find yourself in a sticky situation, you want to be able to draw and fire quickly. Turning the safety off takes time. Perhaps only a split second, but you could lose your life in a split second.

I think the best way to carry is decocked with a round in the chamber. The P99 AS, for example, has four internal safeties and a decocker that, when pressed, puts it into a heavy 11 pound DA trigger pull. It has no manual safety, but I think that's unnecessary. The gun will absolutely not go off unless you pull the trigger, and there's nothing in your holster or your pants that can pull the trigger with even a half pound of force, much less 11 pounds.

blume357

I'm with you P97,

I have several and both of my carry guns are decocks with no safety guns... on the off occasion when I strap my Walther PPK to my ankle I leave the safety off.

comn-cents

I have both and see no problem with whipping off a safety before I pull the trigger. All those top notch pistol competitors don't seem to be very slow with taking their safeties off either. I like the de-cocker only also and have never heard of any one every having a problem with the transition from double to single action. Maybe if you never used the gun before. Maybe you shouldn't be touching a gun if you can't use a da/sa gun. Pretty scary!

I didn't say I couldn't. I just have to focus on not doing it, which I won't do in a gunfight. If I regularly shot with the gun it would be second nature, like dropping the safety on my P-10 that I carry cocked and locked. You are the first person I have every seen not say "oh yea, that is definately a problem" and scold me for not practicing more with my carry gun. I think there really is something in the water here.

RamSlammer

For us old revolver fans, DA/SA decockers work well as we're used to the double action manual of arms. The CZ 75-D compact (PCR) is about the perfect carry gun for a full sized semi-auto IMHO.

jjyergler

Let's see, my four pistols are two revolvers and two Sig autos. Not a safety among them. :eek: I forgot, my Hi-Standard has a safety. ;)

It always comes back to the safety between your ears. Train to decock, if you aren't comfortable with that, get one with a safety.

dondavis3

I have a Beretta PX4 with the safety & decocker

BerettaPX49mm2.jpg

You can carry it with one in the chamber - decocked safety off or on which ever I feel like - and cocked 1/2 click to safe position .

For me I like this set up.

:)

Last edited:

Boatme98

I went to a decocker only a couple of years ago (Sig) and won't go back to a saftey on carry piece. I have a Bersa with the saftey/decocker, a Colt Gov't., and a Ruger d/a revolver. Range guns, I'll buy almost anything!

mavracer

I have shot too many years with DA revolvers and 1911s I can draw and automaticly swipe the safety on a 1911. I don't like slide mounted safety/decocker (IE Ruger P series) because If I swipe them they are now on safe. I do have several DA/SA autos I carry occasionally a Smith 1076 which has a sig style decocker and three a CZ-85,CZ-82 and an old Beretta 92 that have frame mounted safetys so either C&L or hammer down safety off.

OOPS I do have one gun I'll carry with a slide mounted decocker/safety a Russian commercial Makarov the safety is down in the fire position and I carry it hammer down safety off.

Ken - Oh

The only place I want a safety is on a 1911 where it is carried "cocked and locked". Otherwise, I do not see a need for a safety on a DA gun. My DA preferences are Sig Sauer (no safeties) or a DA revolver.

I carry either a 1911 or a revolver.

Note, the Sigs are fairly long pull on the DA trigger, that's enough to be safe. I personally would not want to carry a gun with a short pull (e.g. Glock)

chris in va

CZ 75BD...decocker.

Sig 220...decocker.

None of my handguns have 'safeties'. That's just my personal preference, nothing against them.