Dead end handgun designs.

44 AMP

Staff
Seems to me that as long as someone, somewhere is producing a "knock off" or cheaper version or even a perfect clone, one can't say the design is a dead end.

I will exclude historical reproductions, simply because they are just that.

Personally, I put "dead end designs" into more than one group. Some designs that have died out were simply poor designs, others were complicated designs that had some commercial success, but failed because market interest and demands changed and the design could not be economically produced and, or , could not be updated or upgraded to continue as a viable product.

The "Luger" is a good example of one group. Hugo Borchardt designed and was making a somewhat successful semi auto pistol, Georg Luger redesigned and improved it, creating a pistol that enjoyed world wide sales, and equipped several nations militaries for about 40 years or so. Then things shifted and simpler, cheaper to produce designs eclipsed the Luger. The design had gone as far as it could, and expired as a commercial/military arm, replaces by newer designs, firing the same rounds.

A couple of times, the P08 design came back as a nostalgia item, but cost vs sales killed them off after a few years limited production.

I've had German P.08s and I currently have a lovely Luger, made of stainless steel, in Texas, under the Stoeger name. I keep it as I have a fondness for "oddities".

2damnold4this

isn't the CZ 52 roller delayed like some machine guns?

The CZ 52 is roller locked like the MG42. The barrel, like the barrel on the MG42, stays locked to the bolt or slide by the rollers and they recoil together a short distance before the rollers unlock.

Guns like the G3 and MP5 are roller delayed blowback. The rollers are forced out while the firing pin is forward giving time for pressures to drop but the barrel doesn't move.

PzGren

"Hugo Borchardt designed and was making a somewhat successful semi auto pistol, Georg Luger redesigned and improved it,"

I would like to add that Hugo Borchardt, born Prussian, had emigrated to the U.S. at the age of 16 and went back to Europe but also returned to the U.S. to work as a consultant here. He also worked for Ludwig Loewe, the German Jewish philanthrope who owned DWM, had acquired Mauser and founded FN in Belgium, while his brother was on the board of Vickers in England, which explains how Vickers came to make Parabellum pistols.

Ludwig Loewe was very much interested in discussing the American industrial manufacturing standards with Borchardt and took advantage of any advanced methods.

Back to the subject; the typical German Flobert action that was built by dozens of companies in Suhl by the hundred thousands for over half a century has finally run out of steam.

Still something I cherish, though.

gnappi

I'd put the original Coonan .357 mag right at the top of my list, a close second would be the Springfield Omega.

The Coonan mags jammed, their extended barrel hood broke off and the extractors also broke.

The Omega's dual extractors launched brass right into the face, and extractors broke also.

Both are long gone from my safe :)