CZ P-01 Information Wanted...All Kinds

Zebulon

In another thread, that many of you have really helped me with, I asked for information about the Walther PPK/S. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I have one more pistol to work through, and then I'll know what to buy. What are your thoughts on the CZ P-01? Please brag, complain, or take a guess....I need all the information I can get. This will be my last pistol purchase and will do double duty as a Home and CC pistol. Like them. Hate them, doesn't matter...Please share your thoughts and experiences with me. You folks always do a fine job of helping me out.....Zebulon

armoredman

PCRPO1.jpg

First pic I did with my P01, and it has been on my side all the years since, every day, bar none. Reliable, durable, accurate, everthing I wanted. Then I added Crimson Trace lasergrips,

domestic1.jpg

Got quite fond of it, started really having fun.

silverplatter.jpg

p01rangeshot2.jpg

I am quite happy with my P01. It does everything I ask of it. Here it is in the best pairing, CZ P01 and CZ vz-58.

cztwocamo.jpg

XD45Compact

CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols
2003-02-01 09:24:31

The P-01 is now a NATO classified pistol and issued the NATO stock number NSN 1005-16-000-8619.

The CZ P-01 is the culmination of several years of exhaustive design and testing. Ceska Zbrojovka has always had some of the most rigorous testing requirements in the world but, the Czech National police has required that they go even further, the testing regiment for this new pistol was the most demanding anyone has ever encountered. There are almost 20 specific requirements covering everything from accuracy to interchangability, from safety to reliability/durability and everything in between.

The pistol: The CZ P-01 is a Gen 3 pistol that began as a requirement for a lightweight compact pistol that will deliver the accuracy and durability of a full size, full weight pistol. This was no small task, several manufacturers declined to even start the project.

The first thing you notice about this pistol is the M3 light rail on the frame, a first for CZ, the alloy frame is a little wider at the top than a steel CZ 75. This adds strength and rigidity for mounting the light and increasing the accuracy and service life of the pistol. The P-01 also sports enhanced controls as well as a drop free magazine and a lanyard loop.

The pistol was required to pass a wide variety of tests:

The police required that the pistol ensure the highest level of comfort, an extended slide release was added as well as an extended magazine release and the trigger was reshaped to give a more consistent pull throughout the trigger stroke.

The pistol must be 100% reliable in extreme conditions, the following is a list of some of the minimum requirements.

Must be able to complete the following without failure:

4000 dry firings
3000 De-cockings
Operator level disassembly 1350 times with out ware or damage to components.
Complete disassembly 150 times, this is all the way down, pins, springs etc.
100% interchangability, any number of pistols randomly selected, disassembled, parts mixed and reassembled with no failures of any kind including loss of accuracy.

Safety requirements:

Drop test
1.5 meter (4.9ft) drop test, this is done 54 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked. Dropping the pistol on the butt, the muzzle, back of the slide, sides of the gun, top of the slide, in essence, any angle that you could drop the gun from. This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

3meter drop (9.8ft) 5 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked, This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

After these tests are complete the gun must fire without service.

The factory contracted an independent lab to do additional testing on guns that previously passed the drop tests. These pistol were dropped an additional 352 times without failure.

The pistol must also complete an environmental conditions test:
This means cold, heat, dust/sand and mud.
The pistol must fire after being frozen for 24 hours at 35C (-36F).
The pistol must fire after being heated for 24 hours at 70C (126F)
The pistol must fire after being submerged in mud, sand and combinations including being stripped of oil then completing the sand and mud tests again.

Service life:
The service life requirement from the Czech police was 15,000 rounds of +P ammo!
The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that's a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failures (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.

Heritage:
The P-01 is based on the CZ 75, the most used pistol in the world. Over 60 countries use it as the standard side arm of their Armies, National police forces, National security agencies or other Law enforcement organizations. No other pistol can make this claim.

rogelk

The P-01's a great gun. Comfortable to shoot, the size makes it suitable for both CCW and at the range.
But, I'm a bit confused at the two choices you present. They are different guns. The Walther is pretty much an exclusive CCW pistol. The CZ is more all-purpose. The weight of the PPK/s is lighter, the barrel is much shorter, the mag capacity is 6 rounds of .380ACP and the P-01 is 14 rounds of 9mm...I don't put these two pistols head-to-head with much of anything.

MEATSAW

This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 Mean Rounds Between Failures (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds

These figures are not very flattering. Both my SW1911PD and my HK P2000 have never had a stoppage with the former at 4900 rounds and the HK at 2800 rounds. An average of 500 rounds per stoppage to pass the test is not that stringent of a requirement by any means. And the actual number of 2142 rounds per stoppage while much better still, in my opinion, could be a lot better.

I mean no disrespect in mentioning this either. I have actually been warming up to CZ-USA as of late. I never hear anything bad about them (especially their rifles!) and I could see myself getting one of these handguns to go with a CZ550 rifle. But, to be honest, these numbers just didn't impress me.

BTW, armoredman, that is a fine looking weapon you have there sir. I especially like those wood grips, but understand that Crimson Trace grips serve a very useful purpose. Makes me want to get one!

Last edited:

Zebulon

Rogelk....I appreciate your observation. The reason I pitted the two against each other is primarily for a place in my heart and safe. This will be my last pistol purchase due to advancing age and the need to downsize....There are the last two pistols I have lusted over and never owned. I only want one of the two and it's a difficult choice. I know the CZ would do well as a double duty pistol and the PPK/S would be a fine CC....This purely an eye candy issue, but I want the gun to be accurate and reliable as well....Thanks for your thoughts.....Zebulon

rogelk

Understood Zebulon and thanks for the explanation. It's not unusual for us as firearms enthusiasts to buy a piece purely on desire. I've done it myself, many times:). I guess I'm used to seeing posts like this based on comparisons. At any rate, with your motivation revealed....get the PPK, it's a 100% pure classic! (IMO that is.)

wbw

I have never owned a Walther so I can't speak to that. The P-01 I have owned. I liked it a lot. I've never had a gun feel so good in my hand. Totally reliable for the time that I had it. I know that 9mm is not a heavy duty round, but the P-01 with it's lighter frame made it a little snappier than my other 9mm pistols. I was never very accurate with it. I don't think that the gun was the problem. I ended up selling it. Sometimes I wish I still had it. I'm a big fan of CZs in general though.

Technosavant

The P-01 is a great gun. It fits the hand exceptionally well, is compact enough for carry, and is extremely reliable. On the downside, magazines aren't the easiest thing to find (or they weren't when I had mine) and the trigger reach in DA can be rather long and it tends to be mushy in DA or SA.

Still, if you're looking for a DA/SA gun in a reasonably compact platform, the P-01 deserves a good strong look.

LarryFlew

Have the non-rail PCR in addition to other CZ's and love 'em all. Size of the compacts is as good as it gets for both carry and range.

Attachments

• PCRHBE.jpg
    PCRHBE.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 62

rburch

I also have a PCR (it's on my hip right now)

I love it. I looked at the P-01, but since it was for CC, and I mostly carry IWB, I decided I didn't need a rail.

Hard to go wrong with a CZ.

I also had a Astra Constable in 32 acp. A PPK clone. Not the same as the PPK, but close. I liked it a lot, but it's not in the same class as the CZ.

A nice Walther would close that gap some, but I still wouldn't place it in the same class as the CZ.

armoredman

Thank you, MEATSAW, the grips were Hakans, and yes, it was hard to take them off for the CTGs, but the CTGs are fantastic. Here's a few closer pics of the old grips.

CZPO11.jpg

CZPO12.jpg

The wife's P01 has CZ-USA pink grips, which lent itself well to this poster.

supporttheresearch.jpg

I also can say the PCR is an excellent choice if you don't want the rail, comes with loaded chamber indicator, and low mount Novak Style sights.

PCR3.jpg

And with Hakan's Flame Ambiona grips.

PCRclassy.jpg

They shoot straight, and work perfectly for me. Maybe I've just been lucky, who knows. :cool:

MikeRussell

These figures are not very flattering. Both my SW1911PD and my HK P2000 have never had a stoppage with the former at 4900 rounds and the HK at 2800 rounds. An average of 500 rounds per stoppage to pass the test is not that stringent of a requirement by any means. And the actual number of 2142 rounds per stoppage while much better still, in my opinion, could be a lot better.

My CZ75 SP01 (think of it as a big brother to the P01) has been through 10K rounds of practice and competition firing without a stoppage. Original slide stop, original barrel, original sear, original hammer, original extractor, only things changed have been service items (springs), and still holds 2in groups at 25yrds. So...I think you get my point.

armoredman

I have had 300% more Glocks fail in my hand than CZ. :) Only things my CZs have ever choked on was my first generation bad reloads - who knew a roll crimp was bad for 9mm?:eek::D That's just my personal experiance with 8 CZ pistols.

Sarge43

I have a P0-1, and while I won't carry it (long story), it has been utterly reliable since I purchased it. The trigger started off feeling gritty, but plenty of dry firing and range time and now it's smooth like butta. An accurate, reliable weapon for the money, that's for sure. Oh, and it feels wonderful in the hand too.
Good luck!
Sarge

This will be my last pistol purchase
Oh, how many times I've said that ;)

I can't recall hearing any negative feedback about the P-01, or CZ handguns in general. As Sarge mentioned, the trigger can be gritty at first, but it wears in nicely. I have a CZ-75 with a trigger that's now better than most SIGs.

They're very accurate pistols, and with the exception of really oddball exotic ammo, they'll feed anything with aplomb. I grabbed a P-01 about two years ago, and I've so far been very happy with it:

p01_right_sm.jpg

So, Sarge, any plans to make grips for them?

Ace_Breaker

My new CZ P-01 had reliability issues with 147 grain rounds. The lip of the casing would at times run into the flat edge of the chamber while feeding causing the casing to peel back and wedge the round into the chamber. Because it was wedged in at an angle the slide would not fully seat. This would cause a complete stoppage and take time to get the round out. I sent the barrel in and Mike fixed it with a polish and bevel. Zero problems since. I ended up selling the gun as I prefer the 75b model.

MEATSAW

My CZ75 SP01 (think of it as a big brother to the P01) has been through 10K rounds of practice and competition firing without a stoppage. Original slide stop, original barrel, original sear, original hammer, original extractor, only things changed have been service items (springs), and still holds 2in groups at 25yrds. So...I think you get my point.

I have no doubts that you are not the only one who has such a reliable CZ. So I certainly do get your point. All I am saying is that for a reliability test I would expect to get better numbers than those given. Most surprising to me was the requirement to pass the test: 500 rounds per stoppage. That is a very mediocre standard! I would like to see some more data from this testing. How many pistols were subjected to this test? 1? 5? 10? A larger sample will increase the accuracy of an "average" -- if only 1 pistol was tested its isn't a good representation of the actual mean rounds between failure of the entire population, 10 would be a better representation, 100 even better.

All in all the P01 and the PCR appear to be fine pistols. Slap some night sights and some CT laser grips and you have a formidable concealed weapon.

schmeky

MEATSAW,

I undersand your logic based on what CZ states. However, I have a few CZ's in 9, 40, and 45. My CZ-75/40 is tied for the top reliability spot in my collection; over 1,500 rounds and counting with -0- malfunctions (Les Baer 45 is the other 100%'er).

My SP-01 9mm is over the 1,000 round mark with -0- malfunctions. I had some mis-feeds with it when I was dialing in some handloads, so I can't say it was a real problem.

My CZ-97/45 is at the 6,500 round mark, and has gone the last 4,500 with only 2 slight bobbles; I let the chamber get so dirty, I had to nudge the slide to get it to close fully. I shoot cast bullets with a grease groove. Cleaned the chamber and all is well.

I wish my Sig P220 was this reliable.

Loved mine. The trigger was good for defense but could have used some work for target work in DA mode.
I sold mine only because I have gone to SA only pistols. I also had no use for the light rail. I like the PCR because of that.