Convince Me

dodge

Convince me that I need an AR 15. I currently have enough rifles to do just about any job I need to do and am looking for a play toy. I have a Remington 700 VLS in .223 for varmint hunting and a Savage 30-06 for long range deer hunting with 3 different lever guns (30-30, 30-40 & 45/70) to hunt in the brush. I've always figured that if it came the time that SHTF that any one of these would get me a M16 or M4. As you all know it's not about need but want. I've thought about a PTR 91 also but ammo for that is just a little too costly for everyday plinking. Now I have shot a M16 when in the sevice back in the early 70's so I'm somewhat famialiar with the platform. I'm looking at a Bushmaster for about $850 out the door at my local gunshop.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you don't reload, get started. Spend the money oon ammo and on loading components, not on more guns. Shoot more, and get very skilled with what you have.

THEN think about more guns...

It's all about using, not having.

Art

FirstFreedom

Do you want to be convinced or not want to be convinced? Sounds like you do. :) Well, it seems justifiable given that you're looking for a 'toy', and they are fun, and fairly cheap to shoot. Plus they can be had pretty economically if you find a cheap upper & lower and put them together yourself. So I'd say go for it if you have the cash. But Art's advice is sound, too, of course. If you don't have a good safe or reloading components or good chrony, for enjoying & protecting existing guns, then that's probably a better choice now. Goodness knows I need another safe - I've made the mistake of overextending on accumulating guns, rather than shooting & enjoying them. But of course, accumulating them IS part of the enjoyment too, and a big part at that.

Rivers

I really never understood these threads! I simply can't fathom posting on the internet a request that somebody "convince" me of a purchase. The information is voluminous about ARs. I love my Bushy, but don't think that $850 is such a hot deal on one. I'd suggest that you look at Rock River Arms. Great rifles; better triggers than Bushmasters.

mjc

Ar

You buy bolt actions for accuracy, shotguns for birds/ home protection, 22's for fun shooting cheap, handguns for personal protection (if you feel the need).....:cool: Buy an AR and get all the above!!!!:D (not really the best for birds, I know!)

Screw anyone who says any different:eek: buy one and LOTS of ammo, a couple extra mags and go have a blast!!:p I have more guns then i can count (if i could find them all....) and my #1 "fun" gun is my AR

Besides then you could get in on all these stupid "my ar is better then yours" threads! Buy it shoot it, enjoy it:rolleyes:

dodge

I've been reloading for 30+ years, have a decent safe and a chrony. I've looked at an AK but don't really care for them. Have a 10/22 for very cheap fun now I'm just trying to talk myself into getting an AR. The shop that quoted me the price has a Bushy Varminter for just under $1100. I know that the prices will very in different areas of the country so I'm thinking that the price they quoted me for the one that I'm looking at isn't all that bad. Here in Pa you can't use a centerfire semi-auto rifle for anything but poking holes in paper. The only semi that is legal to hunt with is a shotgun and then only for varmints, waterfowl, turkey and small game.

Chaingunner

AR my sweet booty. Get an M1A or a SOCOM Scout. If you're concerned about being able to mount all your girl toys (scopes, laser sights, forward grips, flashlights, etc) then get a Sage International EBR (that's Enhanced Battle Rifle) stock...they're pricey at around $650 but they're pretty good pieces of equipment...

hags

Hi Point 9mm carbine

My Hi Point 9mm carbine is more accurate and so far more reliable than my AR15. I don't see any advantage to the AR platform than the magazine capacity.
Just my .02 cents.
Oh yeah, and it only cost 1/5 of what my AR15 did.

TPAW

I can tell that you know you really want one, it keeps you up at night wondering what it would be like to have one, right! Go on, BUY ONE!, and be done with it!
You can't do without it! Every collection needs an AR!........;)

hags

.5 Moa???

I have an SDI upper/RRA lower M4gery. I'd like to see any M4gery shoot .5 MOA or 1.5MOA for that matter. Back to reality, within 25 yards, where most combat shooting takes place, my Hi Point groups better than my M4gery.
I might add that the 9mm cartridge shot from a carbine within that range is more desirable than the .223/5.56.
Considering the price I think the Hi Point is the one I'd go with.
Sure, I had to have an AR too, but after acquiring one I'd have to say, again, that I'm not overwhelmingly impressed.

Lycanthrope

I have a 16" superlight, non-floated from Model 1 and a 16" OA-93 PT that will both do under 1MOA with good loads. Short barrels do not compromise accuracy.

It should never be about need.

If you have to reduce it to a factor of need, the truth is that the only things you truly NEED are food, shelter, and clothing.

Anything that comes after is a luxury.

So pamper yourself, and get an AR-15.

wayne in boca

1. Guys that have AR's get all the women.
2. All the cool people have an AR.
3. You can't be one of the "in crowd" unless you have an AR.
4. Bullies will never kick sand in your face at the beach if you bring an AR.
5. AR's are more affordable than drug habits.Well,maybe not if you count ammo.
6.You can't get an M16 from a zombie when the SHTF.
7. Dianne Feinstein will hate and fear you if you get an AR.
8. So will Chucky Schumer.
9. And Sarah Brady.
10. Run,don't walk,to your local gun shop,and buy an AR.Because it's the patriotic thing,the right thing,to do.And God bless you for it.

There.Convinced?

WhiteFeather93

Just my .02.
If you just want to go to the range and plink get a 10/22. 500 .22 for $10 If you want a battle rifle for a SHTF situation than either a AK or CEMTE/G3/PTR. And if you really have the money M1A1 or a SOCCOM II. AR's are nice for plinking but lack a proper cal for killing. And I know this is going to start an argument, but the simple fact is .30 cal is much better for killing period. You can argue this all you want but even the USMC has gone back to the
M14 for its Expert marksmen. But for what its worth if a AR is truly what you want go for it. I prefer the DPMS but everyone has a preference.