Converting Mausers to hunting rifles

Steve499

Tamara.......... It is your CHRISTIAN DUTY to reunite the Kar 71 with the repro stock!

Now, how big is the pin and who picks the angels? :D

cntryboy1289

here's a VZ24 I did for my son

Here is a VZ24 action I bought and built up for my son. This was just an action I bought, not a rifle, so maybe it won't offend anyone....LOL. I put a Fagen Ace Varminter stock on it with a bold trigger and a .308 A&B 24" F54 contoured barrel on it, and a 1909 hinged floorplate on it. It shoots very well and my son loved it. Hopefully soon he will get his first deer with it. Wouldn't that make it a priceless piece of history for my family! I would certainly think so.

Attachments

• guns 010.jpg
    guns 010.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 115
  • guns 031.jpg
    guns 031.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 78

jefnvk

I'm in the boat that it is our gun, do what you want with it. Just realize that to a lot of people, that gun is a collectible.

I am in favor of sporterizing already destroyed milsurps. Eihter that, or ones sold with the reciever only. Similiarly, if you are going to cut one down, make it one that is less collectible, or one that isn't a rare variant.

38splfan

cntryboy1289

Hey, Country Boy....

That is a VERY nice rifle, and I think that, for a boy to receive soemthing his father built for him, with his own hands and time, it could NEVER be more valuable.

For a lot of people, an inexpensive milsurp is their first rifle. I remember reading about guys in the '50's who were ordering Springfeilds and Mausers out of the back of American Rifleman for $40.

Your son now has a peice he will remember as something made especially for him, one of a kind, that will not end up on a gunshow table or in a pawnshop.

I love history, and I am all for preservation, but show me more value than that.
WELL DONE.

HankL

Path, Goodonyah!
Tamara, Is the Turk in the white or is that hard chrome?
Swingset, I think my distant heirs will be ok with this :)

Attachments

• FN98.01.jpg
    FN98.01.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 91
  • FN98.03.jpg
    FN98.03.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 70

orangeamcs

This gun thing is like a disease. At least they are easier to keep than the pile of motorcycles and cars i have been collecting. Anyway, I just read this thread for the entertainment of learning something new. And wouldnt you know it I saw the pics of rifles owned by cntryboy, tamara, and gewehr98, they are beautiful. So here it goes again. I got to build one of these. I just picked up my RRA AR today and ordered a 700 VS the day before and now I want one of these "mausers" to work/learn on. What would be a good starting point. I found a few on-line, for the price i am sure they are not "rare ones".

Maus38 Turkish Model 1938 Mauser Rifle

Maus24/47 Yugo Model 24/47 8mm Mauser Rifle

Swiss 1931 Carbin Scmidt Rubin K31 7.5Swiss Caliber

Enf4 No.4 Mk1 Lee Enfield .303Brit Rifle

What would be a good starting point? Where could I get information on the stocks and barrels used in the above mentioned members rifles and/or information on conversions of this sort (im sure there has to be a web site dedicated to this).

Any help with this possible project or curring the gotta have one disease would be great. I dont want to offend anyone but, early period hotrods bring very high prices, are highly treasured, sought after, and have even been featured at pebble beach, just because its not original doesnt mean it is worth less. In cars anyhow.

thanks in advance
matt

cntryboy1289

thanks 38spl

Thanks for the compliment 38spl. I agree with some of what has been discussed so far in so much as if you have a really nice military piece, it should be left as is. As for me, I like to pick up recievers that have already been pulled from bad pieces. I have a VZ24 that is complete and very worn and I love it and wouldn't change it for anything. I am planning to buy more of the recievers from FAC and do some more custom builds. The only thing about all of this is it is completely up to the owner what he does. If a person buys a Rolls Royce and put spinners on it, I would laugh at it, but if that's what he wants, I hope he is happy with it. I wouldn't do it, but it is his Rolls.

cntryboy1289

Oops

Forgot to mention this. After looking at the picture, I saw a spot on the bolt shroud that had been hogged off by the previous owner. I went back and reground the spot and polished it out. I will post another pic of the gun when I get the camera thing figure out. Some turn out clear and some as blurred as all get out.

liliysdad

I agree altogether. Also, what's wrong with hunting with a Mauser in original condition? Do you need a rubber butt pad, or a scope or whatever else you people do to these guns in order to shoot a deer at 120 yds?

No, I probably dont, but I want these things. I paid for the gun, so what does it matter what I do with it?

My personal truck/deer/coyote gun is a Carl Gustaf, numbers matching M96 Swede. Bent bolt, 18" barrel with no sights, and a cheapie synthetic Butler Creek stock, soon to be a Boyd walnut.

The gun will oustshoot me, and does everything I want. To me, that is much more valuable than a 29" barreled, iron sighted infantry rifle. To others, its an abomination.

My favorite rifle in the world is my father's '93 Mauser in 7x57. Bishop stock, Douglas barrel, and a Weaver K4. You cant buy a Savage in the world that can compete with that.

This being said, I cannot see sporterizing/hacking on a cherry gun, such as a K98, or a SMLE Jungle carbine. The scads of M48s, Mosins, Vz24s, etc....will never be worth anything, in my opinion.

JohnKSa

Administrator
a gun of little historical signifigance will someday ... be a very rare and sought after gun.
Any collector worth his salt should be able to provide numerous counter-examples.

Desert Dog

I own a bubbaized gun. My father did it in the late '50s to a 1942 BSA No.1, MkIII, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. That gun IS part of my heritage and it is familiar. Would I do it to another gun? Not a chance, but I also will not restore this old warhorse that is more accurate than I am out to 200 yards. It has character.

BTW, he paid $18.75 for it in 1956.

In fact, right now, it is on my bench being scrubbed pristine (my father also was not very good about cleaning it either) and lubed for use. My oldest son just loves it because it IS unique. It has an excellent bore and a very good two stage trigger. I shot my first deer with it when I was a kid.

So, yes, there are some sporterized old warhorses that are loved, kept, and special. It isn't worth anything monetarily, but sentimentally it is priceless...

Gewehr98

I have no problems building a sporter...

If there isn't enough of the original gun, and the parts aren't readily available, to restore it back to original condition. That's my own personal line in the sand.

Here's my latest project. It's a Siamese Mauser action, with a Bishop Siamese Mauser stock, and a .457" barrel blank. It'll be a .45-70 Express Repeating Rifle. I only wish the action had stayed around as a complete Siamese Mauser in 8x52R. :(

Attachments

• bigboremauser2.jpg
    bigboremauser2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 92

Desert Dog

Gewehr98,

That looks like a very nice project, and near and dear to my heart as I love anything .45 caliber. Please post pictures when it is completed...

Regards,

Mike

Cowled_Wolfe

Tamara, Is the Turk in the white or is that hard chrome?

Yes! We must know this!... Also, what's the deal with that stock? I haven't seen one like it before -- but it definately is making me re-think my stance on wood stocks...

*Rates your gun 9.5/10 on looks...*

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
It's still in the white. I haven't decided 100% how I want to finish the metal, but I'll probably take the easy way out and go with a teflon-type finish, while leaving the bolt in the white. I just have a bad case of toomanyprojectsatonceitis. :eek:

orangeamcs

"Mauser M98 and M96: How to Build Your Favorite Custom Rifle" Book by R.A. Walsh
Is this book the best source for learning about sporterizing mausers?
Thanks
matt

tintcutter

Be aware that the reloading manuals often indicate the 98 actions to be stronger than the 93,95. Most factory loads for 7x57 are soft because of this. If you realize you can load hotter rounds, make sure the action is the 98 or better and save your face.

cntryboy1289

here is the finished rifle

Here is are a few pics of the finished rifle with Sunny Hill FN Mauser bolt shroud added and the stock is finished now.

Attachments

• guns 047.jpg
    guns 047.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 73
  • guns 050.jpg
    guns 050.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 56