Concerned about lethality of .223/5.56

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandg

I'm with you. Take the TV, do not screw up my house. Don't you dare put your hands on grandpa's gold watch or my humidor. There's a difference in my mind between property and irreplaceable treasures like the old leaded glass windows.

don't confront me with the threat of harm. I'll give you a break if you mind your manners and just steal the TV, but if you have come for me or my family, I will go nuclear on you.

I have no reason to care if a home invader survives. That's the way it should be. I don't, on the other hand, feel a need to automatically engage in combat with someone who just wants my stereo.

I've mentioned before that I have a 3 story home. As long as I am not on the same floor, fine, I'm trapped and so are they, they can wait for the cops. If I warn them and they set even a single foot on the stairs, they will have crossed the line into being a threat, and I will neutralize them the instant I see them. Jeeze, I'm gonna hate cleaning up and repairing the stairs.

Big Shrek

As far as shotguns being racked for scare factor, it does work.

After Hurricane Ivan, I heard someone climbing thru the brush in a neighbor's yard, headed our way, the night after the storm passed...
at the girlfriend's request, I racked up...then heard someone running away as fast as they could...

Mind you, I was gonna wait until they got to the door & do a combat load (rack & immediate fire), but the girlfriend at the time wanted to "scare 'em off"...
she was nicer than average...I'm generally not as nice when it comes to crooks...especially after a Cat 3 hurricane...
Florida has great Castle Laws...and only God can save those crooks who cross into the wrong area :)

rickyrick

I view someone in my house while occupied as an immediate threat to my family, who cares about the tv. Theres a big difference between an occupied house and.an in-occupied house in my book.

Did you know that in Texas criminal mischief at night deadly force is justified? Or preventing a person from fleeing with property. I wouldn't shoot someone that's fleeing, or tagging my garage door.

I would present the bad guy with the opportunity to leave, but, he would have to make his decision quickly.

To remain sorta on topic, I have one of every gun in question here; a 22, a .223 rifle and a 12g I would select a shotgun if my pistol weren't available.

ripnbst

I haven't read all 5 pages of this article but I offer you this, if it hasn't been offered already. The military can only use FMJ ammo per the Geneva Convention. If they were allowed to use varmint grade bullets that expand like crazy and dump energy very quickly they may have a different outlook vs using a bullet that is by design going to pass right through and bury itself in the adobe wall behind the BG.

So keeping that in mind, I buy the bulk 1k cases of milsurp Lake City brass cased stuff same as the rest of you but keep that brass and reload it with Hornady A-max in your preferred bullet weight. That is what I would stockpile to my hearts content.

EDIT: To add something to the post above me, entering a home with intent to burglarize while the home is occupied, whether that is known or unkown, is a felony. If the BG gets lucky and the house is empty chances are its a misdemeanor unless there are some other factors that come into play so the law tends to agree that stealing from an occupied home is a much bigger deal than stealing from an unoccupied one.

Status
Not open for further replies.