Compact 9mm

bedbugbilly

If you reload 9mm - 380 is no harder to lad so curious as to why you don't reload it? If you've purchased 380 and shot it - keep your brass or else buy some range brass - it's not that scarce or hard to find. I have kept my eyes open and picked up numerous batches of it - most in the .02 to .03 cents for 1X fired so if I loose a few, it's no biggie. If you cast - Lee has some cheaper molds to keep the price of a mold down or I just buy a K of PC'd cast 95 garnish RN to load. I carried a 380 for a while but went back to a 9mm. I wanted something smaller - the size is in the eye of the beholder - I have a Shield that is an easy carry but for more capacity I picked up a Glock 26 - my first Glock and I love it.

As a "reloader" - I haven't purchased store bought ammo in years with the exception of some good HP SD ammo.

ThomasT

Charlie_98 here is the video I watched comparing the CW and the CM. And you are correct there is not a lot of difference between the two. The sad part is that many years ago I bought a brand new CW9 and it was a nice gun. I think I sold it because I just can't warm up to a silver slide and black frame. I like black on black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0GAkChNe0

Bedbug I reload for everything I shoot except 25acp and 380. I just bought the 380 so really haven't worked on getting the dies and bullets and brass together yet. I did find out I can reload 380 with 9mm dies except I can't crimp the bullet. So I have a set of dies spotted on GB. Or I will order dies, once fired brass and 500 Missouri Bullet Co plated lead from Midway and that will get me started. The total is over $49 so free shipping. And I know about Lee bullet molds. I have close to 30 of them now. I have been casting since about 1985 when I was given about 200 pounds of lead.

The price of factory ammo was shocking to me. I don't shoot the 25acp enough to load for it. I just bought 500 rounds of ammo and that should be a lifetime supply.

I still have a compact 9mm in mind. I just have to decide what I want and how much I want to spend.

JERRYS.

I've shot a lot of single stack 9mm guns, and of the current production pieces I've chosen the G43. however, the PM9 is a very close 2nd.

ThomasT

ratshooter, if you are near north Dallas, you can borry my set of .380 dies.

Thanks Charlie. Thats a generous offer but the drive from Burleson to get them then the drive back to return them would cost more in gas than what the dies would cost. I will buy a set eventually if I stay in the .380 game.

But I am invested in 9mm and thats why I started this thread. I started with a S&W model 39-2 that I still have and have owned a few others. I have a total of three 9mms now. I will someday get a smaller 9mm. Now I have some better ideas on whats recommended and what has worked for everyone else. So the responses were useful.

I figured out a long time ago I am a lot more likely to have a small gun on me than a larger gun. A big gun like a 1911 would only see range time. A 5 shot snubby is likely to be on me or laying next to me.

Spats McGee

Administrator
"Compact 9mm" is a HUGE field these days, and there seem to be lots of good suggestions in this thread. My experience with most of them (the pistols suggested in this thread) is little or non-existent. With that said, I tried out the Shield, G43 and XD-S. I went with the Shield and have been very happy with it.

I'd say start by going around (maybe to a gun show) and handling the ones that sound appealing.

lapetrarca53

Gonna' throw in for SCCY here. If the 9mm CPX-1 or CPX-2 are anything like my .380acp CPX-3, they're very well made, very affordable, accurate and, so far, reliable.

ThomasT

lapetrarca53 thanks for the suggestion on the SCCY. I asked about those early in my thread.

From post #10:
In a world of $250 Shields and Rugers. Don't buy a Sccy.

Thats the problem with asking on a forum. The experience of some on a gun can be totally opposite of someone else. Thats why I take Taurus bashing with a grain of salt. I have had nothing but success with Taurus but others some some legitimate gripes about them.

Right now the Taurus G2c has my attention. The price from Buds is $207 with free shipping and it comes with two mags. Always a big selling point to me.:)

But since I have had a drastic reduction in my income due to health issues and not being able to work I give a lot of thought to any purchase I make.

1MoreFord

My compact 9mm is a Sig P250C and my sub-compact is a P290RS. Both are very nice DAO pistols but sadly discontinued.

I also have a Browning HP that while is considered a full size service pistol by some armies carries more like a compact albeit a heavy one.

Last edited:

lapetrarca53

Love my CPX-3. Came with three double stack makes (one with an extended baseplate) and a 25% off discount for an Armalaser that I took advantage of.

I own both a Shield and a Ruger and, while they're great guns, the SCCY was considerably less even after adding the laser. Also, the lifetime warranty applies to the firearm regardless of the owner.

Very well designed and manufactured.

dyl

I thought I should add this

Since you have a snub nose revolver of some sort, see if this holds true for you too: with certain pairs of pants, I do end up carrying my j-frame revolver despite owning a Kahr CM9. Why a revolver? The angle of the grip is more slanted forward (like people complain with Glocks). With pants like jeans with a horizontal opening to the pocket, if I were to withdraw a semi-auto pistol with a full firing grip, all my knuckles would have to come out at once which is sometimes impossible when I have a fist full of pistol grip. Jeans pockets and their openings are tight. I don't like them. But with my fist canted forward as in when holding a revolver grip, first the knuckle of my pinky comes out, then my fourth finger, then third, and so on. I can actually withdraw my fist full of BANG from my tight pocket with a proper firing grip.

So no matter what you decide, you may still end up going back to your revolver on occasion.

Carmady

I have CM9 and like it a lot. I never even think about another 9mm pistol for ccw. It works just fine with a kydex iwb holster.

psantos

Walther PPS M2, amazing bargain, for the price.

Smith Shield, but the Walther is superior.

Best bet find a local gun range, shoot a few different models

Also Glock slimline

rodfac

I'll recommend the Sig 365, mine (with a Feb'19 build date) has been 100% reliable through 1150 rounds now...My hand loads with LSWC's, FMJ's and commercial JHPS...100%. The Sig forums report on problems has virtually dried up.

The gun sports 10+1 carry capacity, is readily packable in OWB, AIWB, and even pocket carry. Accuracy is superb for a gun this size...~1" groups with mine from 10 yds slow fire. Part of that accuracy is due to the trigger, a striker type, that's good right out of the box. Mine breaks at just over 5 lbs with zero creep. Sights: it's got good tritium night sights and a big green dot surround for day use...I love 'em.

I've carried a variety of guns over the years from alloy framed Colt Commanders to S&W revolvers of the M60, & M637 variety. But this P365 is my current choice for a CCW piece. For the above reasons, I doubt you could do better. And I paid $470 + tax for mine at a local cop shop.

Below check out the 10 shot group I made from the 10 yard line, slow fire from a Weaver stance...the gun's very accurate.

Best regards, Rod