Compact 9mm

jetinteriorguy

I've been shooting my Lc9s for around six years or so and it works well for me. It's accurate, ultra reliable, and with a slip on rubber grip pretty comfortable to shoot. It does have one drawback though, take down for cleaning is a pain, but it doesn't seem to require a lot of cleaning very often and still remains reliable and accurate so it doesn't bother me enough to replace it. I also have a Taurus G2c and it's been good, unfortunately for me I just don't shoot it as well as the Ruger. I think in my case it's the trigger geometry that where the trigger breaks causes me to have an inconsistency accuracy wise. So for me it's the Ruger, accuracy trumps capacity to me. Oh yeah, one other thing on the Rugers reliability, on mine you can't chamber a round and then top off the mag, if you do it will sometimes misfeed the second round and jam. At least this has been my only reliability issue with my gun.

lee n. field

I bought a Taurus TCP 380 a month or two ago and am less than enchanted with the ammo prices. The gun is great. Its lightweight and you forget you have it but 380 ammo is considerably more costly than 9mm which I also reload.

So I was thinking a compact 9mm might be a good alternative. But I don't keep up with autos as much as I do with revolvers. So what suggestions do you have for a good compact 9mm? My bud has a Shield and it seemed like a nice pistol so thats one consideration. What others are in that class?

Almost every manufacturer who makes "modern service pistols" has a subcompact single stack 9mm.

I have an XDS 9. It's been fine. (It replaced a Kel Tec PF 9, another in that subcompact 9 class, that was "Eh. OK, I guess.")

Russ

I like the Kahr PM9. It can be a bit pricey so a good compromise is the Kahr CM9. Nice pistols and not much heavier than a 380. I have a Remington RM380 that weighs in around 15oz loaded. The Kahr PM9 and CM9 come in at 19.5oz loaded. I never feel undergunned with the Kahr in my pocket.

FITASC

Kahr cm9, smallest and accurate with excellent trigger.

I have one and it is a great gun; however, the SIG P365 is the same size with almost twice the capacity. I love my SIGs and will most likely be selling my CM9

MTT TL

So many good choices out there.

S&W has sold a bazillion Shield's in the last few years and it is a good small pistol. I carried one for a few years then switched to a M&P C. The M&P C original version is better than the 2.0 version IMO. The 2.0 is too large for my tastes for a concealed carry weapon.

The Glock 19 is a great weapon with decades of use and millions of satisfied users. Before I switched to the Shield I carried that. The smaller Shield reduced the bulk of the Glock 19 and was more comfortable.

The Springfield XD is another great choice.

If you are staying in 9mm I would steer clear of the 1911 compacts. The polymer guns are much lighter and tend to have more capacity.

raimius

Depends on the size you want. Personally, I like a full grip, so the Glock 43X or Springfield XDS with the mid-extended mag works nicely.

dyl

Technically, I think you're looking for a subcompact or a micro 9. But let's pretend I wasn't just *that guy* by mentioning it.

Kahr CM9. I think it's still the slimmest, smallest, lightest most size efficient micro 9 and has been so for ... I don't know, a decade or two if you count the PM9 which it was based on except for less fancy production methods. Super affordable. And if you compare it to a revolver, it beats an out of the box factory J frame trigger in smoothness and trigger pull weight.

The closest competition would be the Beretta Nano, and Sig P290. However when I was doing the ultra-scientific youtube research of reviews, trigger pull seemed to not be as nice as the CM9.

It's one of the most accurate pistols I own, despite the small sight radius. And it has "real" 3 dot sights.

dyl, you and I obviously have like minds. Love both the Nano and the Kahr. Both very underrated Micro 9mm's. Love the triggers on both guns. The Nano IMO has a more robust build and believe mine will last many rounds down range for least my lifetime. The Kahr is also very well built and both guns are such mild shooters. Most especially for their size. I do not own the Body Guard, have the Pico and the Kahr in 380, but have shot the Body Guard enough times to say I like it a lot. Another well built, soft shooting gun.
A benifit over the Nano for the Kahr is the fact that it weighs about 4oz. lighter. And weight does matter when carrying all day.

On any purchase of a firearm getting the perfect size and grip for the individual is IMO very important. Hopefully the OP can try out as many guns as possible. What I like, may not be the best for him.
There are many nice guns out there. But they do not all fit everyone
I shot the 365 with others at my club, nice gun, but not the right fit for myself and a few others. Too easy to ride the slid with the design. Others it fit perfectly.
I recently took the new Glock 43x and put 200 rounds through the gun and woke up the next day with a nice blister. Glock trigger guards and I just do not get along.
Very important to try out a lot of guns if possible. By the way, I did shoot the new Mossberg MC1 and really enjoyed that gun.

Last edited:

OhioGuy

A lot of the most common issues people have with the p365, which I have also experienced, include riding the slide release, difficulty reaching and pressing the flat and awkwardly shaped magazine release, and magazines not dropping free when the button is pressed. I think it's the shape and size of the gun relative to someone's hands. I'm sure all are training issues. But I definitely cannot do quick magazine changes with that gun. Any gun with a short magazine (and especially extended grip magazine) can hang up on your hand, but it just seemed much more pronounced to me with the Sig.

I did try the P365 XL and its longer standard grip allowed the magazines to drop freely for me, but that's clearly no longer in Micro 9 territory. If I were starting over with firearms, I very well might pony up for that XL as a primary carry gun, and find something else (like a CM9) for super-small carry.

USNRet93

Glock 43 or 43x..go shoot one..BUT, you mentioned ammo $..plenty pf online places that sell .380 in the same price range as 9mm('about $.17-$.18 per round) but gotta search around some..for those that don't make up the difference in shipping..

https://www.wikiarms.com/

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammunition/

I EDC a Glock 43 or Glock 42..with +1 or +2 mag extensions..which can be carried with any clothing choices from tight-ish to winter bulky..

wingman

Personally I value accuracy, lite weight over round count, normally any self defense event will require 1-3 rounds anything more then police or good friend may be required.

MTT TL

A lot of the most common issues people have with the p365, which I have also experienced, include riding the slide release, difficulty reaching and pressing the flat and awkwardly shaped magazine release, and magazines not dropping free when the button is pressed. I think it's the shape and size of the gun relative to someone's hands. I'm sure all are training issues. But I definitely cannot do quick magazine changes with that gun. Any gun with a short magazine (and especially extended grip magazine) can hang up on your hand, but it just seemed much more pronounced to me with the Sig.

I had similar experiences. Sig makes high quality guns but some of the ergonomics do not work for me.

Mackie244Bud

I got my P365 in April of 2018.
First range trip I had a few times that the slide did not lock back on the last round.
When I got home I got on SigTalk.com and asked, "Is there a problem with my P365.
The response was quick and simple.."Your thumb was holding the Slide Lock lever down.
Just be a bit more aware of that and you will be fine.
Next Range trip the Slide locked back on every empty magazine.
It was laziness on my part and just not being aware of the gun..there is a place for the thumb to rest under the slide lock.
I did that and I never gave it another thought...It's not rocket science!

Fast forward to almost a year and a half later and 3000+ perfect error free rounds (not counting Dry Fire)

I do plan on getting the XL Grip Module (Osage County Guns has already turned in a large order for the XL Grips with Sig) when they are available and swap my Slide and FCU to the XL.
I already have the Flush floor plates for my five 12 round P365 magazines.

To the OP..
If I was you I would make a list with all of the guns mentioned in this thread.
Then one by one put the guns on the list in your hands.
Best place for that is a Gun Show...take your list.
See which guns feel great.Check some youtube videos on the top selections and then lastly..
Go to a range that has a lot of rentals and put some shots downrange!

That's what I have done on almost every gun that I have purchased.
Except the P365..they were just out and very scarce so I could hold it at a Gun Show but no rentals to shoot.
Thankfully it all turned out Great!

I know it sounds Anal but I don't have unlimited funds...I'd rather do my homework and be happy with my purchase.

Good Luck

Last edited:

jmr40

I paid $450 for my 10 shot Sig 365. It is smaller than my G43 which holds 6 rounds. In fact with 12 round magazines it is only very slightly larger than the G43 with 6 and 15 round mags are available. Gun is amazingly accurate for such a small gun, I shoot it as well as my G19. I'm a Glock guy, but Sig is building the better small gun. And unlike most of the others is available with a very usable 1911 style safety for those who want it.

ThomasT

Glock 43 or 43x..go shoot one..BUT, you mentioned ammo $..plenty pf online places that sell .380 in the same price range as 9mm('about $.17-$.18 per round) but gotta search around some..for those that don't make up the difference in shipping..

I just solved my problem. I ordered 250 rounds of Geco FMJ from Outdoorlimited for a total of $66.49. That gives me 375 rounds on hand so that should hold me for a while. And I really like the little Taurus TCP gun. Its like brand new and I only paid $77 for it off GB plus $35 shipping and $15 transfer. And I bought a spare mag for it from Academy.

I did just go to Academy and looked at several of the guns you guys recommended. They didn't have a Kahr CM9 but I did watch a YT video comparing it to the CW9. All of the guns ya'll recommended were nice but none will replace the TCP in size or hide-ability.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will eventually find a deal on a set of 380 dies and then I will start reloading. Reloading for everything else I shoot has saved me from the panics and not having ammo every time there is a run on ammo. And I like to reload.

Charlie98

I have both a Kahr PM9 and a CM9, besides the finish and the sights, I can't tell a lick of difference between the two. I have also had a P45 and have a CW45... same same.

Here is something that I've done... and it has to do with my decision to stick with one platform for carry purposes: The Kahr 9mm. I have the PM9, which I carry most everyday, or the CM9. I also have the CW9, which is .5" longer, and one round bigger... all of my holsters and magazines are for the CW9... the P/CM platform will fit in all the P/CW platform holsters, and the longer CW magazines fit in the smaller xM pistols as well. I carry the PM with the compact magazine, but my backup mag is a 7rd CW. I have a shoulder holster (for traveling, mostly,) and IWB holster, and a belt holster... all my Kahr 9mm's interchange. I do carry the CW9 when I can, usually in the winter when I'm wearing a sweatshirt everywhere and I can hide it, but I've gotten so used to the PM9, that's what I carry 90% of the time. Thankfully, they all like the same ammos, and they all shoot, more or less, to the same POA. They are all also 100% reliable.

hanUYSzl.jpg