Compact 9mm

ThomasT

I bought a Taurus TCP 380 a month or two ago and am less than enchanted with the ammo prices. The gun is great. Its lightweight and you forget you have it but 380 ammo is considerably more costly than 9mm which I also reload.

So I was thinking a compact 9mm might be a good alternative. But I don't keep up with autos as much as I do with revolvers. So what suggestions do you have for a good compact 9mm? My bud has a Shield and it seemed like a nice pistol so thats one consideration. What others are in that class?

TunnelRat

The original Shield model can be found for under $300 online, and so can the PPS M2 if you look around. Either is a very solid option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OhioGuy

There are as many answers, as there are atoms in the universe. Everyone has a favorite. It comes down to cost among other factors.

You're moving up from a micro .380, so is SMALL a major concern for you? If so, then in the land of reasonably priced guns you've got the Kahr CM9/PM9 which are extremely small, and also Beretta Nano (recently restyled as the APX Carry). Not much larger, but with twice the capacity is the Sig P365. You'll pay $500 for that one but get 10/12 round capacity and very nice sights at a size smaller than most compact 9mms.

Also in teeny-weeny land are the 1911-styled and usually very expensive 9mm's from Kimber, Sig and Springfield. Gorgeous guns, but you're paying for fashion and style. You're required to wear a tuxedo and drink martinis when you carry one. Note: The new Kimber Evo striker fired, but 1911-looking-ish gun, is AWESOME. And you'll pay for that awesomeness.

A notch up from that in size (but barely) is the endless crop of single stack, 6/7/8 capacity guns that include S&W Shield, Walther PPS M2 (those are both very affordable and both outstanding guns), Glock 43, and a host of vendors like Ruger, Taurus, Honor Defense, and too many others to mention.

If you like a wider grip, you can get into the subcompact double stack guns like Glock 26, Walther PPQ Subcompact and Springfield XD Mod.2 Subcompact. All great guns, but the existence of the P365 kind of makes you go "why???" at these guys. Of course, each of these is compatible with 15+ round magazines from their larger siblings, which does make a very good case for a gun you can carry and conceal easily but also do extended range and training sessions with.

Based on my purely subjective criteria:

If absolute smallest size is your goal: Kahr CM9

If capacity is of interest: Sig P365

Price: Shield 2.0 or PPS M2 (you can get other brands for less, but these two are known to be absolutely reliable and have good aftermarket support)

Raw sexiness, and you're willing to sell both kidneys to pay for it: anything from Kimber

Most practical, flexible, all-around platform and willing to move up in width and weight: Glock 26 or PPQ Subcompact

Cheapshooter

but 380 ammo is considerably more costly than 9mm which I also reload.
Sounds like a really good excuse to buy another gun you want. Rather than spending a few bucks for dies. :cool::D

Plenty to choose from. All have their advantages. The hot ticket right now seems to be the Sig P365. Mostly because of it's higher capacity in such a small pistol.
I'm quite happy with my Kahr CM9. A bit smaller than other 9MM sub compacts. So much so that it almost hides away in my pocket as well as my LCP.

ThomasT

Sounds like a really good excuse to buy another gun you want. Rather than spending a few bucks for dies.

Dern you Cheapshooter ya got me figgered out.:eek: And yes, I am always up for a new gun. But what inspired my post is long ago I bought some 380 95gr bullets and loaded them in 9mm cases. But when I shot them they weren't very accurate.

So I dug around and found the box and I had 9 bullets left. I also have 2 380 cases. I got out my press because I wanted to see if could reload 380 with my 9mm dies. But after I looked at those Podunk tiny little 380 bullets I thought, "I need a bigger bullet". So thats what brought me here.

I just talked to one of my buds and he just bought a Sig 365 and likes it so far. Easy to carry and he forgets its on him. He is going to go shoot it this weekend.

I did look at some of the guns suggested. I liked the Kahr CM9 I saw at Buds. They also had the similar SCCY for $200. I liked it too but know nothing about them. I don't mind a 6-7 shot single stack mag capacity. I am really happy with my 5 shot airweight 38s or 6 shot 431PD in 32 mag.

The smaller the better as for gun size. I don't need a double stack magazine. My bud said he bought a 12 shot mag for his Sig 365.

Bart Noir

The PPS M2 is available with a factory installed small red-dot sight. I have both configurations and that is why I sold my P365. Just like the Walther more.

Kimber has just come out with a new all-metal 9mm striker-fired pistol (called EVO I think), which will be a bit more expensive than the plastic frame ones. But it sure seems like a nice pistol. I'd love to have one.

Bart Noir

Sounds like a really good excuse to buy another gun you want. Rather than spending a few bucks for dies. :cool::D

Plenty to choose from. All have their advantages. The hot ticket right now seems to be the Sig P365. Mostly because of it's higher capacity in such a small pistol.
I'm quite happy with my Kahr CM9. A bit smaller than other 9MM sub compacts. So much so that it almost hides away in my pocket as well as my LCP.
Ditto on the Kahr CM9 love that gun. At 15. 8 oz is very light, and one of the smallest in class. And surprisingly very soft Shooting. I have shot the 365 and a very nice shooter, but just not the right fit for myself. I am not into the high round count like some. The Kahr is quality, and it is a solid performer. Great Carry Micro 9mm.

Whirlwind06

In a world of $250 Shields and Rugers. Don't buy a Sccy. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bjw741

Since you obviously don't have the anti-Taurus bias, I'll suggest the G2c. Basically the same size as a Shield but with 12+1 capacity. Mine is super accurate and has been 100% reliable.

Last edited:

OhioGuy

The PPS M2 is available with a factory installed small red-dot sight. I have both configurations and that is why I sold my P365. Just like the Walther more.

Kimber has just come out with a new all-metal 9mm striker-fired pistol (called EVO I think), which will be a bit more expensive than the plastic frame ones. But it sure seems like a nice pistol. I'd love to have one.

Bart Noir
We must think alike cuz I have the same PPS with the RMS-C sight.

I shot the Kimber Evo at a range recently and wow, what a beautiful gun. The weight is perfect and it's just beautiful to look at. But I got my Walther WITH red dot sight for the same price as the Evo, so beauty ain't everything!

RickB

M&P Shield is extremely popular.
I briefly tested a PPS and liked it a lot; really good trigger for a striker gun.
I'm a hammer-fired, single action guy at heart, so bought a SIG P938.
It hasn't been trouble free, but at the 3000-round mark I'm happy with it.

KyJim

To the OP:

Like OhioGuy, I can recommend the Kahr CM9 for its very compact size. I mostly carry mine in a pocket holster, though I also have an IWB holster for it. It has a long, but smooth trigger pull. You will feel right at home with it since you shoot revolvers. You do need to put about a hundred rounds through it to break it in per the manufacturer and per my own experience.

There are a number of good pistols larger than the CM9 that are good for waist-band carry, but are a bit large for many pants pockets. The SW Shield is one of those. I carry mine strictly in a waist band holster. I've yet to have a bobble from mine.

elsancudo

I sure agree on that one. Walther PPS M1 is an awesome handgun. Wish they would produce it again, but with a manual thumb safety option.

Mackie244Bud

I went from my M&P Shield to Sig's P365 and I have not shot the Shield since.
Now I'm looking at the Sig P365XL which has a Slide cut for a Red Dot.
I am a huge fan of Sig's P365 platform.
These are considered as a Sub-Compact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=8jmN3_nRYt4

Speaking of Red Dots....
Another option is a Compact with Red Dot Sight.
As in my Sig P320 Compact RX with a Romeo 1 Red Dot.
I actually just added a P320 X-Compact Grip to my RX Slide...
P320 X-Compact & Keres Pro Action Trigger.jpg

There are 2 Red Dot equipped M&P Shield's with 4 inch barrels
The Performance Center M2.0 Shield and the M2.0 Shield with Porting.
Since you are moving to a Compact Semi from Revolvers you might as well check out the new craze which is Red Dot's.

There are so many good choices today in Compacts and Sub-Compacts.
I'd recommend doing some research like you are doing here..Check out youtube videos regarding Guns that interest you.
Go to a Local Gun show because they are all there and you can actually get them in your hand and see what feels good to you.
Lastly if you can rent your final few choices and actually shoot them!
A range trip with your choices will tell you more than we can here.

Good Luck in your search and ultimate selection!

O4L

I prefer the Shield and the PPS M2 . They are both bargains under $300 and they fit my large hands well.

Of course the P365, G43X, and G48 are very popular right now but having shot them all, I found them a little small for my big paws. Also, I just can't make myself pay almost double what a Shield 1.0 cost.