CNBC to claim Remington has been selling defective weapons for many many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroJunk

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere else on this forum. CNBC has been advertising a program on Remington scheduled Oct 20, 9:00 PM Eastern. From the advertisement it would appear to be a negative deal.

Anyhow, some of you might want to watch.

roy reali

re:rastaman

NBC + Lawyers = Truth and Fairness.

If you believe that then you must also believe the recession is over and Santa is making his final preparations for Christmas.

44 AMP

Staff
Ever since the exploding pick up trucks, I have been sceptical of NBC and anyone connected to to being unbiased.

Its bad press, sure, but so what? Like any maker of any product, some lots of some models have been sold that turned out to be less than right. And they have been recalled and fixed, when found out, as much as humanly possible.

Remington recalled the Model 600 bolt actions back in the later 70s, IIRC, because of a trigger problem. It seems that under the right conditions, if the trigger had been pulled with the safety on, then released, the rifle could fire when the safety was released.

There have also been recalls of many other models, at different times over the years. When the problems come to light, they have always fixed them.

On the other hand, someone doing something stupid (which includes not expecting the gun to malfunction) is hardly the maker's fault.

WHAT IS THE FIRST RULE?
(hint, muzzle control)

I don't, (and never could) see how the maker has any responsibility for where the user points the tool?

NBC's attack dogs will, I'm sure do everything they can to paint Remington in the worst possible light for public consumption. They are, after all, not only cruel heartless big business, but they make GUNS!!!! :eek:
How much worse could they be?:rolleyes:

Wildalaska

They sell defective weapons that could hurt people.

No Mon, they sell quality products that fail to work correctly when abused and/or not maintained correctly, or modified by basement or home gunsmiths who then neglect the rules of firearms safety.

No one gets hurt ever if you have muzzle control.

Irie

WildemancipateyourselffrommentalslaverynonebutourselvescanfreeourmindsAlaska ™©2002-2010

Is this why the trigger on my 700 made in 2006 was set around 14#'s from the factory?? I don't believe the liberal media in this case...

Last edited:

Jimmy10mm

I don't know anything about Remington. I do know that I take anything I read in the papers or hear on the news with more than a grain of salt. Fifty some years ago my grandfather told me to believe half of what you see and nothing that you read. It took me forty years to completely understand that but I believe it now.

jimbob86

Yep.

Always, Never, Keep and Know.

Always treat guns as if they are loaded.
Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you don't want holes in.
Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target.
Know your target and what is beyond it.

Two or more of these have to be goofed for a ND.

"T'is a poor workman that blames his tools."

44 AMP

Staff
Well, I did say it was a hint....not the answer

Guess I slipped up a bit, depending on how you list the rules. I consider the "always loaded" a condition, and the reason for muzzle control (a rule).

The underlying point is that if you keep the muzzle in a safe direction, people don't get hurt. I Always felt it should be the first rule, because you treat the gun as always loaded.

All the rules are important, but I think muzzle control is most important.

ZeroJunk

If it cannot be proven that the trigger was not "adjusted" in an incorrect manner or readjusted after the incident, and you have the shooter claiming that he did not touch the trigger for reasons that are easy to imagine, it seems it would be hard to make a case with 5,000,000 Model 700's out there unless the rifle can be made to repeat the malfunction.

Kreyzhorse

CNBC's media Web site describes the program as a 10-month investigation into allegations that Remington's hunting rifles are prone to firing without pulling the trigger and that the gun company has known about the problem for 60 years. It says dozens of deaths and scores of injury have been traced to the alleged problem.

The above quote was taken from the link http://uticadailynews.com/utica_dail...-products.html provided by RastaMan.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it hard to believe the Remington, or any arms maker for that matter, would continue to produce a design that would fire on its own for over 60 years. I'm just not buying it.

johnbt

Do so at your own risk. It has been well documented.

Remington has extended the free safety modification offer once again, until the end of the year. It's on their web site.

John

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
kreyzhorse said:
I don't know about you guys, but I find it hard to believe the Remington, or any arms maker for that matter, would continue to produce a design that would fire on its own for over 60 years. I'm just not buying it.

Depends on which tinfoil hat you wear.... haven't you heard of Glock? All of their guns purportedly fire on their own free will.;):rolleyes:

jmr40

The Remington issues are well documented. I would agree with Wildalaska that many of the problems can be traced back to the owner. But not all of them. I've used 700's for years and will continue to do so. But the problem is real.

I've seen it happen to a clean, well maintained, unmodified rifle. Fortunately it was unloaded and only dry fired. Actually made it happen 2-3 times in a row, but have not been able to get it to repeat in years.

This is what is happening. If you attempt to pull the trigger, or if brush were to catch the trigger with the safety in the "SAFE" position nothing will happen. Then in some very rare cases when the safety is moved to the "FIRE" position the gun may fire without your finger anywhere near the trigger.

Some of this may be caused by home gunsmithing and dirty triggers. But no other manufacturer seems to have it happen to them.

oneounceload

Wow, and all these years my XP, Model 7 and 700 BDL have endangered me? From what or from whom? Never had ANY issues.

Even my 1100 has only had minor ones

Kreyzhorse

This is what is happening. If you attempt to pull the trigger, or if brush were to catch the trigger with the safety in the "SAFE" position nothing will happen. Then in some very rare cases when the safety is moved to the "FIRE" position the gun may fire without your finger anywhere near the trigger.

Okay, that explains it a little better. My original understanding was that the gun fired on its own with no interaction from the enviroment around it yet Remington continued to produce that model.

While clearly still an issue, the gun would fire only with some type of manual manipulation if I understand it correctly. While that's still a huge issue, it is different than it was hinted at in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.