CMP M-1

1stmar

Thanks. How was yours packed, any cosmoline? What did you have to do to prepare for shooting was it a regular cleaning?

Kreyzhorse

Mine was clean and dry. I've oiled it and bought some grease per the manual, run some Hoppes down the bore and it's ready to go.

Kreyzhorse

Come on, guys.....let him get his M1 thumb, already - it is required to join the club! LOL.

I'm left handed and by far, this is the most right handed gun I've ever handled. M1 thumb is a certainty.

Chris_B

I took a lefty shooting mine once. He said "How do I shoot this thing?"

And I said "same way they did it when it was new: like a righty" :D

Only way you're blocking that oprod handle is to hold the rifle in the left hand, load with the right

SHE3PDOG

You got that thing fast. I'd be jealous if I were still waiting for mine. Looks good, I'm always surprised by the niceness (brain dead, can't think of a better word) of the service grade Garands from CMP. Every once in a while you hear of people getting really gnarled up stocks and pitted barrels, but for the most part they all look to be a fair bit better than the description on their website. I'd assume they make it sound worse than it is so people don't get ****** at them for not getting what they expected.

gman3

Mine arrived today. Mailed the order on Feb 7th. HRA, new wood, muzzle 2, throat 2, metal finish is 90% or better. I'm very happy.

Kreyzhorse

I've been following the arrival of the assorted H&Rs on another forum and it looks like a lot of them are showing up with new wood.

Curious Gman, what serial number range is yours? Mine is 5.7 range and I understand those are a little more rare.

1stmar

Added a serial number today and status says shipped, though ship date is tbd. So hopefully it either shipped or will ship Monday. Then off to shuffs.

Chris_B

I'm sort of jealous...I recall the anticipation of waiting for mine and the fun of opening up the box fondly. I can't justify (or afford) another

gman3

Serial Number range is 5.5. 1954 I think if the info I have is correct. Mine was also received clean and dry.

gman3

The reason I bought it was because a friend gave me a large amount of Lake City match ammo in the enblock clips, with the cardboard wrapper still on them.
Funny thing is, the ammo is LC 54 Match head stamp, which is apparently the same year the rifle was made, or at least the receiver. I thought I needed the proper tool to process that ammo, so I bought one.

gman3

Well thanks Nate. I did seem like the most fitting way to shoot it, and BTW it shoots minute of soda bottle right out of the box:)

Oldman1151

North Store

I bought a Springfield Service Grade Special with new wood for my Son last spring and a Winchester Service Grade with GI wood (I liked the character of the GI wood) for myself from the North Store. Selection was good at the time. Had a lot of fun picking them out. I went back in December and bought a H & R Service Grade with new wood for a friend of my Son. Selection was not as good as it was in the spring as all they had was H & R in December but quality was good. I was glad I bought 5 cans of ammo before the price increase but wish had a couple more cans now. May go back in a month or so and see what they have. It is fun place to visit. The North Store is about a 20 minute drive for me.

My Son (now in Texas) ordered some M1 ammo from CMP which ships out of Alabama. The ammo shipped in about two months.