CMP M-1

Kreyzhorse

1stmar, they only reason I can think of is that when I noticed that the service grade SAs were "sold out, I sent them an email saying that I would accept an HRA if no SAs were available.

I've noticed that over on the CMP board, guys who sent their orders in at roughly the same time are being offered the chance to switch to a Winchester or HRA as their orders are being processed. Since I already offered to switch, they must have been able to process mine quicker. That is just my theory of course.

Chris, thanks for the update. We will see what mine looks like pretty quickly.

Kreyzhorse

Quick update:

Rifle in hand. H&R receiver and barrel. Winchester bolt assembly. Wood is brand new. Finish on the reciever is very, very good. Some finish wear on the end of the barrel and front sight.

Holy cow am I impressed. I'll field strip it later tonight.

Kreyzhorse

After a quick field strip and oiling, it appears that every part, except the bolt, is H&R.

The bolt, being a Winchester part, at least had a chance of being part of WWII and I find that very intriguing.

I won't be able to get to the range for a couple of weeks but I'm very happy with M1. The bore by the way looks like its never been fired.

Let me know when yours arrives 1stmar. Good luck to you.

NotMeNotYou

Better Late Than Never

One of my CMP M-1 Rifles is an H&R.It has a bbl. date of 03/54. All the major parts are marked HR...rec,bbl.,op rod,bolt, gas cylinder,plug...everything but the (stamped) SA marked trigger guard & assembly. I understand from CMP it was not uncommon to grab a finished SA trigger assembly in the building of H&R and IHC rifles. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The bbl. is a 1(new) on my throat erosion gauge. The Parkerizing matches all over, in color and wear(none).
The stock is Walnut, not stained Birch, and is noticably slimmer than all my other Garrands, and has no cartouche. This is what I am curious about...I have read and heard about "Sanded Stocks" but can only assume they were used,refinished stocks.I don't know.And why no cartouch? It looks like a new,correct,matching rifle. It came directly from storage in Alabama in 1999.
Anybody know of or heard of "Sanded Stocks" on Korean era M-1's?

"A Pistol Is Just For Fighting Your Way To A Real Gun" Uncle Donald USMC 1948-1954

Chris_B

Looks good, congratulations. Looks like somebody has a BB gun, too

To make the photo show up in a post, click the last 'tag' or link to the right of the photo in your album, the one called 'img'.

That copies it. Paste the tag in a message. I did this right from your album:

Kreyzhorse

Awesome. Thanks for the DYI instructions Chris!

The parkerizing is very good. You can tell a difference in color between the H&R receiver and the Winchester bolt.

Guilty, the BB gun is my "cat deterient" or commonly known as a Daisy Red Ryder.

Chris_B

Looks like you have a really good one!

Safety tip: Your bolt is resting on the follower in that last photo.

That is a recipe for M1 thumb. The bolt should lock back so far it is fully under the receiver

Like this:

Not this:

Last edited:

sevt_chevelle

I placed my order for a Springfield special( new wood, new barrel etc) back on Oct 2013. I finally picked it up from my FFL two weeks ago.

Kreyzhorse

Good catch Chris. I usually try to make sure it is fully under the receiver but I was more concerned about trying to get a few pics up.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but hopefully the weather will break before June.

Nice SG Special Sevt. Let us know how it shoots.

I can see now why people own several M1s. So many possible stories and history behind each one.

1stmar

How's this thing shoot?? My card was just charged, hopefully shipping soon.. Still think you know someone kreyzhorse.

Kreyzhorse

No idea yet..... Weather has been too cold and nasty along with work travel, I just haven't had time.

Did buy some ammo so I hope to get it out this weekend or next.

If your card was hit, it should ship this week. Good luck, I hope you get what you want.