Cleaning black powder rifles

deerslayer303

Well let me throw my 2 cents in here. I disassemble the rifle, take the nipple off of the barrel (throw that thing in a small dish with HOT water, I do that now because I dropped one down the sink in the past, some of you may recall that post :D) Then I fill a small wash tub half way with HOT water and DAWN straight out of the water heater. Then with the nipple end of the barrel in the tub I take the cleaning rod with patch and run up and down the barrel. It sucks water in through the nipple. then hook the garden hose to the water heater and spray it down with hot water. Then its off to the oven at 200 degrees till dry. Then its WD40 time. Then after that evaporates if I'm not going to use them I coat the bore with bore buttah.

The GPR barrel will not fit in the oven so she gets dried with an old hair dryer that SWMBO gave me.

Oh if your water heater is inside your house you may have a hard time doing it this way :D

wet

I'd need a perty big oven to put my 62 in. I found somthing called "awsome" at a dollar store that works better than dawn dishwashing detergent.

Erno86

Shafter is partially correct...the main culprit during the U.S. Civil War, was the Sharps breechloading carbine and rifle. Luckily...I had two experienced Sharps carbine shooter's by my side --- when I locked up and froze the action on my newly bought Sharps Carbine, due to fouling on the third shot; at our range.

That's when one of the fellow Sharps shooter's told me the story about the Civil War soldiers, who had to "pee" on the action of the Sharps {while in battlefield action} inorder to clean & lube the action on the Sharps.
He hosed down the action on my Sharps, with a spray bottle solution mixture of: 30% Simple Green/30% hydrogen peroxide/30% rubbing alcohol --- wiped it off with a rag --- and lubed up the action with hi-temp water pump grease.

Last edited:

mehavey

... locked up and froze the action on my newly bought Sharps Carbine, due to fouling on the third shot;
Where/How did the fouling lock occur? I've been shooting one in the N-SSA for years and it's been smooth all the way.

Last edited: