CCW with a single action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Wright

As a matter of interest, I carried this Bob Mernickle holster for several years. Its a fine holster and carries well. But I'm not as flexible as I used to be many years ago, and this holster carried just a mite too high for me. It cramped my arm in making a draw, so went to the Tom Threepersons style holster, which carries just a tad lower.

Bob Wright

T. O'Heir

It seemed to work ok for Bill Hickok, et al. It's not what you carry. It's how well you can use it.
"...my Wright hip..." That the brand of the replacement hip? snicker.

reteach

I was referring to your spousal concealment method, but the holster looks good, too. Seems like holsters for single actions all come with a straight drop. Not many makers offer holsters with the butt-forward cant that is common for other handguns.
I'm thinking the pouch holds just ammo, not a speed strip, right?

How many of you really think you're going to need any more than a handful of rounds to deter a wouldbe thug attack on your person?
No one knows what one will need.

Thre hav been some threads on the subject.

Many or us do prefer more than a "handful".

If you do carry enough semiauto reloads to "spray & pray", in such an unlikely event, then more power to you.
"Spray and pray" is in no way the objective.

But since striking vital internal body parts is more a matter of serendipity than one of design , being able to fire more rounds very rapidly in controlled fire can be quite advantageous.

But it's kind of condescending to belittle those who are entirely skilled enough & comfortable while CCing a SA.
No one is belittling anyone.

But being "comfortable" may not prove anything at all.

Jimbo-Indy

My opinion is that for defense, it's speed and shot placement over multiples of shots. Statistics show that nearly all defensive uses of a gun are over in seconds and involve only a few rounds. Best to carry what you are the most practiced with. Example: cowboy action shooters might carry their single action revolvers. Most auto shooters would be hard pressed to get off 5-6 shots as fast and as accurate as an SASS competitor. All depends on what you are comfortable with.

Dain Bramage

I wouldn't mind a 7 shot Ruger Single Seven Birdshead .327 for CC.

I recently bought one. Thinking about a Simply Rugged Cattleman holster in crossdraw, like this one (back side showing the loop):

Mostly%20tan%20AA%20024.JPG

My opinion is that for defense, it's speed and shot placement over multiples of shots.
Shot placement is key, but since the small vital internal targets are moving and concealed with ia three dimensional opaque envelope, that placement is less a matter of marksmanship than a matter of statistical luck, and casting the die more time is more likely to come up with a winning number.

All depends on what you are comfortable with.
True, if your comfort is objectively supportable.

In The Ten Ring

I knew Stan Sweet personally....he was so fast you really couldn't see it.

Any of us (or name your favorite police officer) would be killed by him even if your guy (or you) had your weapon pointed at him, cocked, and your finger on the trigger. I have seen him do just that exercise with blanks.

http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_d44ffd43-463c-57ae-983b-600561c44f22.html

Carry whatever you want, be good with it, use your head, and win the battle. I have seen two guys carry SA revolvers and both looked like guys you had best not fool with be it with fists or trigger fingers.

In The Ten Ring

Bob Wright,

You look good there man, very stately. Is that a "Simply Rugged" reload pouch by Bob Leahy? *If so, I wear one my self for a speed strip.

briandg

I would not feel uncomfortable carrying a SA. It's not a lot slower to deploy than any other. they are almost always more powerful than the semiauto. If a person can carry in relative safety, it would be a fair option. In a case of rummaging around in saint louis gang territory, it seems a little foolish. Just forget the reload, it's not going to happen. You have six rounds, the bad guys may actually have hundreds.

I drew and fired on a rabbit once, nailed him. A good man can do so on an armed assailant.

Real Gun

I see the problem as holster availability. While Mernickle has the right idea with high ride and forward cant, keeping that grip from poking out, the range of guns and sizes is limited to pretty big iron. I have a Taylor's Uberti Birdhead 38 Special Model P Jr. that would carry easily in the right holster. Note that while a six shooter, it would be loaded with five, none under the hammer.

Example: cowboy action shooters might carry their single action revolvers. Most auto shooters would be hard pressed to get off 5-6 shots as fast and as accurate as an SASS competitor.

I am a CAS competitor. I know my single action revolvers inside and out and I can shoot them very well. I wouldn't dream of carrying one concealed. By the way, those competitors who can get off 5 shots as fast as a semi-auto shooter are usually shooting very light loads that no one would dream of using in a carry gun. They cannot fire so fast with normal loads, there is too much recoil.

There is a reason the Colt and other single action revolvers were called Belt Pistols. They were usually not concealed, but were open carried, because they were so big. When laws changed, and open carry became frowned upon in the Old West, S&W et al started making pocket revolvers that were easier to conceal.

But I do always enjoy seeing Bob Wright's photos, and now I have a face to put with the name.

Real Gun

I should have noted also that single action holsters are typically made to fit rather wide belts, more than one would use in common pants belt loops. Threepersons is better in that regard. 2 1/4" is standard from El Paso Saddlery but narrower on request.

Another point is that with a higher carrying holster, it is best to keep the barrel length pretty short so you don't have to lift as high to clear the holster.

Real Gun

I recently bought one. Thinking about a Simply Rugged Cattleman holster in crossdraw, like this one (back side showing the loop):

Tried one. Save your money. All the cross draws poke out too much in front. This is one is not a good design for me. When it rotates under the weight of the gun, that sharp end presents upward. The belt has to fit the loop exactly.

Guv

How would a SA be "as good or better than a DA"?

If someone wants to carry a SA then more power to them, but the above statement needs some explanation.

Bob Wright

How would a SA be "as good or better than a DA"?

In drawing the Single Action revolver, the hammer is cocked about the time the gun clears leather and fired as it comes level. The recoil aids in cocking for the second shot. So the first two shots are a mite faster with a Single Action than with a double action revolver. Those who fan the Single Action can get two shots off that sound as one shot. I draw and fire with one hand only, going to a two hand hold if the situation permits/requires it.

Never tried with an autoloader, so can't say about that.

I should have noted also that single action holsters are typically made to fit rather wide belts, more than one would use in common pants belt loops.

When ordering a holster, specify belt width. i have mine made for 1 1/2" belts.

Bob Wright

ChuteTheMall

I love my single action revolvers, and if I could imagine some reason to claim they were superior to more modern designs, I'd post it here.

They aren't superior, but may be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.